Ammunition & Hand Loading > Cartridge and Shotshell reloading

Aldo's .45 ACP formula

(1/3) > >>

Aldo:
No, this is not Aldo's famous Italian sauce recipe that will make you drool while watching The Godfather series or The Sopranos  8), but it is the formula for my .45 ACP reloads that work for me with my G30 and G21:

Shell: Winchester; RP; CCI
Powder: Alliant Bullseye (4.6-4.7 gr)
Bullet: Zero 230gr FMJ
OAL: 1.268-1.270 in
Primer: Federal large # 150; CCI large # 300
Scale: Scheels digital scale
Ruler: Frankford Arsenal digital calipers
Reloader: Lee 4-die turret press with carbide dies (thanks to CZ and Dave for the advice to crimp the reloads)
Tumber: Dillon CV-500 tumbler with corn cob....no walnut: my daughter is allergic to nuts--not including me ;D
Manual: Modern Reloading Manual 2nd Edition

Final product: Now thats-ah one-ah nice-ah meatball!! ;)

JimP:
Bullet weight?  Velocity?  SD/ES?

Aldo:

--- Quote from: JimP on March 01, 2009, 11:43:06 PM ---Bullet weight?  Velocity?  SD/ES?

--- End quote ---

Hey, JimP, thanks for askin'.

Weight of Zero bullet: ranges 229.2-230.2 gr (Winchester ranges 229.6-230.6)
Overall weight of reload: ranges 321.4-323.8 gr, mostly 322.0-322.6 (factory ranges 321.5-322.5)
Velocity: ??? (I don't have one of those chronograph thigamajobs...manual says if I use 5.0 gr powder, then it would be 950 fps, so I am guessing that it is less with the l owerpowder wgt I use)
SD/ES: ??? (pardon my ignorance of not knowing what that is....sounds like an STD) ;)

Aldo:
I'm still gettin' used to the weight of the G21 (received it as a gift for Christmas from my sons, and only able to get out a couple of times with the weather since then).  My gun of choice for the past several years is the G30 which is still my carry, and so I have gotten used to that puppy.  But tryin' CZ's G21 last summer at Rock Your Glock had me droolin' to get that into my arsenal for this year's Rock Your Glock.  The droolin' had my boys thinkin' I was on meds, but then they realized that I was just hungry for a G21...and then voila!  ;D

So, here is at least an end result of 25yds out with the G21:

Randy:
For re-loads handgun or long-gun.

Try to include:
Powder Brand,     (Hodgdon HP-38)
Charge Weight,    (Grains)
Primer Type,        (Brand and name or #)
Bullet Brand,        (Hornaday)
Type and Weight, (HP, FMJ 230 Grains)
OAL                    (overall length)
Type of action,     (semi-auto, revolver, bolt)
Barrel Length,       (inches)
Twist Rate           ( 1:8 )

Chronograph data is also important. (if available)
Include the tested
Muzzle Velocity,
Extreme Spread (ES),
Standard Deviation (SD) if possible.
Short summary of your load:
Example ?Great 600-yard accuracy, near max, works best with light neck tension, low ES/SD.?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version