< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shouldn't the Law Have Protected this Guy?  (Read 842 times)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Shouldn't the Law Have Protected this Guy?
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Lincoln_Police_Investigate_Suspicious_Death_158543445.html
LPD: Shooting Death Appears Accidental
Lincoln police are investigating a shooting death, they say appears accidental.

Police have identified the 20-year-old victim as Emanuel Zavaleta Hernandez.
Police believe Hernandez was handling a gun under the assumption it was unloaded when the gun went off.

It was also noted that he was in trouble with the police in years past.

So, if you can't purchase a gun until you're 21 (he was 20) and you can't purchase one if you're a felon, how could this happen? I don't understand how the system could have failed so miserably!

I jest, of course -- outlaws are called outlaws for a reason -- they don't live inside the laws.

On a more serious note, I hate to see anyone die -- under any circumstances -- that's no joke. I do think it makes an interesting point, though.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Shouldn't the Law Have Protected this Guy?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
Yep he had record INCLUDING being a felon in posession of a firearm previously (If I read the article correctly)  and it was a rifle, so the 21 is out, can purchase longguns at 18 I believe.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Shouldn't the Law Have Protected this Guy?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
Yep he had record INCLUDING being a felon in posession of a firearm previously (If I read the article correctly)  and it was a rifle, so the 21 is out, can purchase longguns at 18 I believe.

Good point. I didn't realize it was a long gun. Does the LPD make you register the sale of rifles or is that just handguns? I would be interested to hear if the weapon was obtained "legally" or if this really was a case of an outlaw not following the law.