< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NE CHP & NE Purchase Permit questions...  (Read 3689 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
NE CHP & NE Purchase Permit questions...
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
Can anyone clarify for me a little about these two permits.  My main question deals with having both.  I thought that the CHP allowed you to purchase firearms in NE.

Do you need both?  Any clarification on this will help.

Thanks in advance.
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: NE CHP & NE Purchase Permit questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
Don't need both, but some are loathe to show their CHP. If you have a CHP you are covered
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
It is a bit convoluted. I actually had a "handgun purchase certificate" for years before I bought a handgun.  It makes purchasing a long gun simpler.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
Can anyone clarify for me a little about these two permits.  My main question deals with having both.  I thought that the CHP allowed you to purchase firearms in NE.

Do you need both?  Any clarification on this will help.

Thanks in advance.

CHP is all you need.

bigdog
bigdog

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
I just renewed my purchase permit even though I have CHP.   I have heard stories about some gun shops not accepting CHP for purchase.  Also I am dealing with a lot of new employees that are from out of state.  they know nothing about the purchase permit.  So being able to show them makes explaining easier.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
I've dealt with some FFL's who won't accept the CCW permit in lieu of the handgun purchase card.  They say it's the Feds who want it.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
There was a time after the law changed where ATF had to certify the CHP as a replacement for a NICS check.  During that time you had to have a purchase certificate even if you had a CHP, but ATF has since told all FFLs that the CHP is sufficient.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
I've dealt with some FFL's who won't accept the CCW permit in lieu of the handgun purchase card.  They say it's the Feds who want it.
Why would you do business with them if they can't follow a simple change in the law?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
There was a time after the law changed where ATF had to certify the CHP as a replacement for a NICS check.  During that time you had to have a purchase certificate even if you had a CHP, but ATF has since told all FFLs that the CHP is sufficient.

Me too- I had this issue just this week.  Can anyone explain a little bit more on this issue?

Thanks!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
I don't think its really an issue.  Its a handful of FFL's that either refuse or have no idea what they are doing that are not following the law.  I do not keep up a purchase permit anymore, so if they don't want to accept my CHP then I'll go elsewhere.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
There are many FFL's out there in the dark ages with their fax machine and no computer, and the ATF only notified FFL's via email of the change. By law I do not need a Purchase permit, however for $5 every 3 years I simply renew it just in case I happen to stop at that one little gun shop in remote NE while driving and find something I have to have....

I consider it a $5 donation to the Otoe County Sheriff every three years :-)

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
a purchase certificate is a Nebraska State req thingi ....Not a Fed

Makes little sense not accepting a NE CHP in Lew of a a NICS check

as a NICS check and state records check as well were needed getting for either in the first place.
(as long as the State patrol has enough personal to do their jobs like state law requires)

Soon they will be wondering if you want Fries with that too!
would you like to supersize that today ?
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

April 14, 2011

Open Letter to All Nebraska Federal Firearms Licensees

The purpose of this open letter is to advise you of an important change to the procedure you may follow to comply with the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, 18 U.S.C. § 922(t), when transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person.

The permanent provisions of the Brady law took effect on November 30, 1998. The Brady law generally requires Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to initiate a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check before transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person. However, the Brady law contains exceptions to the NICS check requirement, including an exception for holders of certain State permits to possess, carry, or acquire firearms. The law and implementing regulations provide that permits issued within the past 5 years may qualify as alternatives to the NICS check if certain other requirements are satisfied. Most importantly, the authority issuing the permit must conduct a NICS background check and must deny a permit to anyone prohibited from possessing firearms under Federal, State, or local law.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has reviewed Nebraska’s Concealed Handgun Permit Act, as amended in 2010 by Legislative Bill 817, and has determined that Nebraska’s Concealed Handgun Permit does qualify as an alternative to the background check required by the Brady law.

If you transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person pursuant to the permit alternative, you must comply with the following requirements:
1. Have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record. 2. Verify the identity of the transferee through a Government-issued photo identification (for example, a driver’s license). 3. Verify that the permit was issued within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that the permit has not expired under State law.4. Either retain a copy of the transferee’s permit and attach it to the Form 4473, or record on the Form 4473 any identifying number from the permit, the date of issuance, and the expiration date of the permit.
If you have any questions about Nebraska’s Concealed Handgun Permit qualifying as an alternative to the NICS check, please call ATF’s Firearms Industry Programs Branch at (202) 648-7190.

Arthur Herbert
Assistant Director
Enforcement Programs and Services
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
If you have any questions about Nebraska’s Concealed Handgun Permit qualifying as an alternative to the NICS check, please call ATF’s Firearms Industry Programs Branch at (202) 648-7190.

If you run into a FFL that says he/she won't take your CHP then advise them to call that number.