< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Insurance for firearms  (Read 973 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Insurance for firearms
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »
i am wondering about getting some firearm insurance through my insurance company.  i got a few quotes and the rates seem pretty reasonable at last check.  but in order to get the firearms insured, they need to be appraised.  who does appraisals around Lincoln?  i am looking for someone who does Class 3 and semi autos as well.

any and all ideas welcome.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Insurance for firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
Are you an NRA member?  You get $2500 coverage with your membership , plus you can get added firearm insurance through the NRA ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance,  only firearms $2,500 or over must be scheduled but serial numbers are not required.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/ArmsCarePlus.htm

I am not sure how it compares with a rider on your homeowners policy as far as price is concerned
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »
hmmm... i forgot about NRA's coverage.  my homeowner's policy includes i think $1,500 for firearms, but im way over that.  ill take all the opinions/options people tell me about and then ill do some research.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
RobertH:

For insurance purposes, just about any FFL-holder should be able to provide estimates of value acceptable to an insurance company.    [Unless you are into rare, collectable, or curio firearms.]

You could check w/your insurance company to be certain.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
http://www.collectinsure.com/  is who I use.  Very reasonable rates, as seen here: http://www.collectinsure.com/rates/GunCollectorRateSheet.pdf

So, for example, $20,000 coverage would cost $137 per year($112 plus a policy fee of $25).

No need to send them serial numbers.  Just list what you have and the value.  Nice and simple.

BTW, they cover knives, ammo, mags, and scopes too.   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
+1 on FarmerRicks post.  Been using them for about 5 years now.  I could have added a rider to my homeowners, but they wanted make model serial numbers, etc. 

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »
I have a $25,000 rider on my renters insurance that covers all of my firearms.  Its like $25 a year or so. Check with your household insurance company before you go for some of the specials out there.  Mine does not require any form of appraisal or information on the weapons, only that I keep records.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX