< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun show laws.  (Read 926 times)

Offline HarperHurst

• Forum Member
Gun show laws.
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:40:14 PM by HarperHurst »

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Gun show laws.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »
A permit is required to purchase a handgun, no exceptions. Takes anywhere from a few minutes if you have connections or up to around 10 days if you have a lazy sheriffs departmant or police department.

Long guns can be purchased without a Firearms Purchase Certificate. The dealer has to call it in. It takes him time away from helping other customers and he could lose a sale due to you being inconsiderate and not planning ahead. Some dealers refuse to call it in, and I don't blame them. I would charge you $25 for my time if I was a dealer.

Without the permit, you may be subject to unnecessary delays from the NICS system, up to three days in some circumstances. Having multiple DUI's can lead to a delay, as well as a refusal from NICS (they claim that it means you are violent because you drink and drive).

Get the permit, don't piss off the dealer, avoid the delays, and support small dealers instead of big corporations.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
Charging for a NICS check?

Really?

That would not be something any decent dealer would want to get around I would think. I guess I would just wish that dealer a good day the nicest way I could and move on to a better dealer.

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
Charging for a NICS check?

Really?

That would not be something any decent dealer would want to get around I would think. I guess I would just wish that dealer a good day the nicest way I could and move on to a better dealer.
Then get the permit and stop wasting their time. What is your time worth Dave? Do you know the dealer can be on hold for 20 to 30 minutes waiting on the NICS people? During the weekend when several gun shows are going on, they are busy because many states don't have the luxury we have here, and the permit eliminates the mandatory waiting period for a handgun purchase.

It's $5 and five minutes of your time, and is good for three years versus a wait and a potential three day delay.

Also, a private individual can't sell a handgun to another individual without a handgun permit, and an individual can't call the NICS system. 

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
Also, most gun shows are inside metal buildings with poor cell reception, so the dealer has to go outside to make the call. Who is watching the table?

Too many thefts have been happening at shows lately, several of my friends have lost firearms during these shows. Sales are lost because someone is too inconsiderate to streamline the purchase process.

And I wouldn't care if it did get out. I've seen dealers turn down sales because the person didn't have a permit. The margin is too small on a single purchase to waste time calling in a NICS and lose a potential customer.