< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Steel Challenge Match on June 17th...  (Read 2020 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Steel Challenge Match on June 17th...
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »
Just reminding folks that there is another ENPS Steel Challenge match on June 17th at the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.

6 stages, centerfire AND rimfire divisions----so you don't have an excuse to not go and shoot.  :)

Setup starts at around 7:30am (along with registration) and registration ends at 8:40.  New shooter briefing at 8:40, with the shooter's meeting at 9am and shooting shortly after.

If you ever wanted to try a competition, Steel Challenge is a great way to start.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Steel Challenge Match on June 17th...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
I shot one of these with my .22.  Is there time to shoot both a .22 and a center fire?  There is a SLIM chance I could get back home on Saturday.  If so, I will be there.

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
At this time we are only allowing people to shoot 1 division. Not enough time or RO's to let people shoot 2 guns right now.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
At this time we are only allowing people to shoot 1 division. Not enough time or RO's to let people shoot 2 guns right now.
Thanks tobydog.

Fly

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered. I'm new to the steel challenge. Is there any place that has info about how many rounds to bring and how scoring works?

Thanks!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
Sorry if this has been answered. I'm new to the steel challenge. Is there any place that has info about how many rounds to bring and how scoring works?

Thanks!
You could look at the possible stages on the Steel Challenge website HERE.  You can also find the SC rules there.

General Principles: Steel Challenge scoring is simple: your time is
your score!

Each stage consists of fi ve targets, commonly referred to as plates.  Four are standard plates, and the fi fth is designated as the stop plate.  Each of the standard targets must be hit at least once before hitting the stop plate, and the time stops when the stop plate is hit. Competitors may fi re as many rounds as they deem necessary for each 9 string of fi re. The worst string on each stage will be thrown out, and the total of the remaining times will be competitor’s score for that stage. See Appendix E for stage descriptions, set-up diagrams and specified procedures for each stage. 

The total of a competitor’s stage scores will be his score for the match. Total score for all stages will determine the order of finish for final standings.
Hope that gives you an idea, but the details are on the website and in the rules.

Fly

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »
Thank you!

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
I had the same Q's so I emailed a couple of ppl and ended up calling the match dir. Hope you see this before tomorrow, see y'all there. Here is the response I got from jthapkido:

Well, there are six stages---so if you never miss, you'll need 150 rounds.  (Five shots per string, five strings per stage.)  That being said, most people miss more than once, so I'd probably suggest bringing at least 200 rounds, if not 250 just in case.  :)  

If you are shooting centerfire, you'll need a decent holster.  (Centerfire draws from the holster on each string.)  If shooting rimfire, no holster is needed, but you will need a decent bag in which to keep your gun when you are not on the line.  In both cases, the more magazines you have, the easier it will be.  If you have five mags, that works best.  if you don't, make sure to arrange with someone to load your used mags for you as you shoot the stage, to keep things going.

Setup starts around 7:30am, registration ends at 8:40, and the new shooter briefing is at 8:40.   Shooter's meeting at 9, with shooting starting right after that.  If you get there early, you can help set up, ask questions, take a look at the stages, and have plenty of time to make sure you know what is going on.

Steel Challenge is a good time---have fun!

Thanks!

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Excellent info. Thanks.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
I should be there also.
 Just look for the old guy that uses a white 5 gallon bucket as a chair.   8)

This match has always been a great time.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »
wish I could be there. Wife wont let me miss out on my first Father's Day.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
my first match, was fun...I blew through almost 300 rounds. I need a fundamentals refresher

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »
Glad everyone had a good time---and I'm sorry I had to miss the match.  (Was in Illinois, shooting the USPSA Area 5 match.) 

The next ENPS Steel Challenge match is August 19th, so everyone has some time to practice.  In the meantime, don't forget that we have a USPSA match on the first Sunday of each month, and next month on July 15th we'll be having another Multigun match.

my first match, was fun...I blew through almost 300 rounds. I need a fundamentals refresher

Well, everyone KNOWS what I'm going to say to that one...   ;D 

http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Fundamental201.html

(And going more than once is just fine.  Matter of fact, last week I took a Fundamentals class from Manny Bragg for the third year in a row, and it certainly helped me!)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com