< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Medical Clinics  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Medical Clinics
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
We all know the rules ... no carry in a hospital, emergency room or trauma center.  Simple enough, right?

How about a clinic?  Technically, it's not a hospital.  However, if the clinic offers urgent care treatment, is it a "trauma center" or "emergency room"?  What if the clinic is a part of a university system, e.g. a UNMC clinic or (formerly) a Creighton clinic?  Is it then a "school building"?

The Administrative Code leaves the terms "hospital", "emergency room" and "trauma center" undefined.  What is an "emergency room"?  Is it a private area where you meet with a doctor?  Does it include the waiting room?  Waiting room and emergency room seem, logically, to be two different rooms.  However, they may be separated by nothing more than a curtain.

Discuss.   ;D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Medical Clinics
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
In my eyes, anywhere medical treatment is provided on a regular basis is off limits for carry.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
In my eyes, anywhere medical treatment is provided on a regular basis is off limits for carry.

Why?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
Just my interpretation of the law, honestly. I don't know how to justify it really, i simply view clinics as smaller hospitals.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
I wouldn't advise anyone else on the matter, but my personal opinion is that they are not.  Clinics are treated differently than hospitals for lots of legal reasons and this is just another situation where the legislature put a restriction on one and not the other.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
I would consider clinics to be something different than hospitals. I view a hospital as a place where you can go and stay for a period of time, i.e. overnight, for treatment. This would be something to call and anonymously ask to a doctor or higher up at the clinic you go to.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
I personally have never been in a trauma center that was not in an Emergency Room, and all the ER's I have encountered were inside a hospital.

I do not consider any other medical office off limits unless posted
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
I own/operate a clinic and consider it my personal business.  Therefore, it is not a criminal friendly zone :)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
I own/operate a clinic and consider it my personal business.  Therefore, it is not a criminal friendly zone :)

Good for you!

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the state, but I've yet to walk into a medical office that is not posted here in Lincoln.  However, that's just in my world, so I don't know if there are many that aren't posted. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
In many of the smaller cities/towns,  medical clinics are attached to the hospital.  In those cases, I suspect the clinic would be included as part of the hospital in regards  to posting.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
In many of the smaller cities/towns,  medical clinics are attached to the hospital.  In those cases, I suspect the clinic would be included as part of the hospital in regards  to posting.

Although, I wouldn't consider a retail bank inside of a grocery store a reason not to carry in the grocery store.

As for the stand-alone clinics ... posted = easy decision.  Not posted = judgement call.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Although, I wouldn't consider a retail bank inside of a grocery store a reason not to carry in the grocery store.

Good point and I agree. 

The clinics I was referring to share reception areas with the hospital and open hallways between making it more difficult to make that judgment call.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 08:37:52 AM »
The clinics I was referring to share reception areas with the hospital and open hallways between making it more difficult to make that judgment call.

Yup.  Pretty blurry.