< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is your SD and/or carry ammo type? Anyone know what OPD and/or NSP uses?  (Read 5615 times)

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
Hello all - so I just got my CHP (around day 56, FYI) and in my carry class, the instructor made note of certain issues surrounding what ammunition you use for SD/carry purposes.  His specific point was that if you are involved in a SD situation, shoot someone and injure them severely or kill them, your ammunition may come under scrutiny (as well as any number of other things) and he recommended using whatever loads local LEOs use - that way, if it comes to brass tacks you are less vulnerable to criticism, legally, for using excessively powered or designed ammo (i.e. why did you have to use the ammo that causes the most damage?)

So, with that in mind, anyone know what OPD and the NSP uses?  I would also love to hear your personal recommendations - with a little rationale...especially if you carry a walther pps 9mm or bersa 45 UC

thanks fellas!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
i'd like to know this as well.

but right now i only use Hornady TAP or Critical Defense ammunition.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
NSP and most local LEOs are issued Speer Gold Dot.  Being from Texas and having family in Law Enforcement, most departments there issue Gold Dot, too.

FBI carries Winchester PDX, most in .40 S&W

Hornady makes great options, but I am not familiar with ANY Law Enforcement that issues, though.

The gold standard and still a good one is Federal Hydra Shok.  .45 ACP the most proven of all calibers in this bullet design (my personal choice for .45 ACP)

All great loads and your thinking is spot on....."yes, Mr. Prosecutor I chose to use the same ammuniton Law Enforcement is issued, not 'cop killer' ammo as you insinuate"

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Any of the above are good choices and will do their job if you do yours (shot placement). I recently had the opportunity to discuss the topic of ammo selection with a civilian contractor currently training Special Forces. He commented that they have done extensive live tissue training with nearly all of the common JHPs currently offered. And in his words they all perform nearly identically, regardless of caliber (9, 40, 45), in live tissue.

He did say that the CorBon DPX stood out as one of the only JHPs to actually gain mass in live tissue. Whereas most other non bonded JHPs fragmented and lost mass. His personal recommendation was to carry a bonded or solid copper JHP to allow for better retention of mass and better performance through light barriers.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
He did say that the CorBon DPX stood out as one of the only JHPs to actually gain mass in live tissue. Whereas most other non bonded JHPs fragmented and lost mass.
Losing mass is possible but how does a bullet gain mass? Maybe you meant it retains mass and gains diameter.

I personally use Winchester RA9T. It used the same Black Talon bullet without the scary black coating.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
If I remember correctly Chris Zeeb actually said don't tell anyone what you carry in the event of a SD situation. (as far as the media is concerned anyway)

Chris, correct me if I am wrong.

I myself carry TAP FPD 124 gr HP in my LC9.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Losing mass is possible but how does a bullet gain mass? Maybe you meant it retains mass and gains diameter.

I personally use Winchester RA9T. It used the same Black Talon bullet without the scary black coating.

It gained mass/weight by picking up tissue as it expanded. When it was extracted and weighed, it weighed more than when it started. The important point being that it lost nothing of its original mass/weight.  This was the only JHP they tested that did this. Im sure the others picked up some tissue along the way as well, but it didnt offset what was lost in separation or fragmentation.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
NSP and most local LEOs are issued Speer Gold Dot.  Being from Texas and having family in Law Enforcement, most departments there issue Gold Dot, too.

FBI carries Winchester PDX, most in .40 S&W

Hornady makes great options, but I am not familiar with ANY Law Enforcement that issues, though.

The gold standard and still a good one is Federal Hydra Shok.  .45 ACP the most proven of all calibers in this bullet design (my personal choice for .45 ACP)

All great loads and your thinking is spot on....."yes, Mr. Prosecutor I chose to use the same ammuniton Law Enforcement is issued, not 'cop killer' ammo as you insinuate"

just want to thank you and all the others for weighiong in- probably going to need to go pick up some gold dot and see how they cycle...

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
If I remember correctly Chris Zeeb actually said don't tell anyone what you carry in the event of a SD situation. (as far as the media is concerned anyway)

Chris, correct me if I am wrong.

I myself carry TAP FPD 124 gr HP in my LC9.

Correct, News media will try to hype up their story by finding out if you had "evil cop killing hollow points".

Keep in mind also, anything you post on the internet, will come up on a search..... Should something happen, the news media will scour your FB page and every internet forum you post in looking for tidbits of info  :-)

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
It gained mass/weight by picking up tissue as it expanded. When it was extracted and weighed, it weighed more than when it started. The important point being that it lost nothing of its original mass/weight.  This was the only JHP they tested that did this. Im sure the others picked up some tissue along the way as well, but it didnt offset what was lost in separation or fragmentation.

- Shawn
Gotcha. It didnt really gain mass, just got crap stuck in it.

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
A couple of years back Gun Unlimited told me that OPD was using Remington Golden Saber.  One reason they were out of stock at the time.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
A couple of years back Gun Unlimited told me that OPD was using Remington Golden Saber.  One reason they were out of stock at the time.

They were but might have switched to Dots now.  FWIW in the testing I’ve done the Golden Saber’s have been really bad at expanding and holding together.  Federal HST on the other hand expands every time from what I’ve seen. 

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
Correct, News media will try to hype up their story by finding out if you had "evil cop killing hollow points".

Keep in mind also, anything you post on the internet, will come up on a search..... Should something happen, the news media will scour your FB page and every internet forum you post in looking for tidbits of info  :-)

The media would do this if you used a NERF gun. Live your life and stop worrying about what the media thinks. You have a right to defend yourself. Find something that will do the job and stick with it. If you keep aware of your surroundings, you will most likely never have to use it anyway.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
The most critical aspect of SD ammo is reliability.  It must be 100% reliable in YOUR handgun. 

Then, YOU must be able to use the handgun well enough to put it on target reliably.

If the NSP's selection works for you and your system, GREAT!
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
I went to my lgs recently and they informed me that opd uses golden sabers...in addition to the potential criminal liability concerns there is also the aspect of that related to civil suits...I.e.  I would rather use what the local or state leo's use instead of Hornady zombie max...imagine trying to explain why you chose such a silly-named ammunition, peesumably designed for shooting fictional horror characts for your sd situations - it would be easy to paint you as a person taking things lightly and/or in a juvenile manner.  obviously this is an extreme example, but, just sayin, I would feel more comfortable int the position of, "hey, I use what the Leo's use...nothing questionable about that..."

Offline R35P3CT

• NFOA Full Member
  • De go BOOM
Ive got some 135gr critical duties that run flawlessly in my kimber.  I chose them because how reliable there were in the gun.   I also had good groupings at the range, so until I find something better I will run these.  If I find out what LPD uses, I will try to use that. 

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
I am currently using 9mm 147 gr Winchester RA9T.  Very reliable in all my guns.

Only agency I know about is DC Sheriff...they use gold dot.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
They were but might have switched to Dots now.  FWIW in the testing I’ve done the Golden Saber’s have been really bad at expanding and holding together.  Federal HST on the other hand expands every time from what I’ve seen. 

What about Golden Saber Bonded?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:57:55 AM by LM4202 »

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
If you are attacked by a gelatin block........