< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is your SD and/or carry ammo type? Anyone know what OPD and/or NSP uses?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
I went to my lgs recently and they informed me that opd uses golden sabers...in addition to the potential criminal liability concerns there is also the aspect of that related to civil suits...I.e.  I would rather use what the local or state leo's use instead of Hornady zombie max...imagine trying to explain why you chose such a silly-named ammunition, peesumably designed for shooting fictional horror characts for your sd situations - it would be easy to paint you as a person taking things lightly and/or in a juvenile manner.  obviously this is an extreme example, but, just sayin, I would feel more comfortable int the position of, "hey, I use what the Leo's use...nothing questionable about that..."

I use the Z-Max and the reason for that is because its about identical to Critical Defense but generally costs about a buck less. I wouldn't have any problem explaining that to the police. Silly name or not, it is what it is.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
I use the Z-Max and the reason for that is because its about identical to Critical Defense but generally costs about a buck less. I wouldn't have any problem explaining that to the police. Silly name or not, it is what it is.

Well, don't get me wrong...I'm sure it's a fine load and has all thos orperties and those are valid reasons...but it's not the police I'm worried about explaining to - its the jury...especially those who might be anti-2A and not understanding of such things...i.e. the people with no clue about firearms and why someone would choose something of that nature...frankly, if I had my way, I'd use ammo called Federal 230gr. 'Butterfly Kisses' or maybe Remington 185gr. 'Grandma Hugs' -just to eliminate the possibility...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Remington 185gr. 'Grandma Hugs' -

I wish there were a .45 ACP loading that had the wallop and authority that my Grandma's open hand had: she was near 70 years old and decked my then 18 year old brother for a smart aleck comment ..... he was a State wrestling qualifyer and had survived numerous car accidents, been shot once, got into lots of fights ..... one whack from Velda and he hit the floor.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
I wish there were a .45 ACP loading that had the wallop and authority that my Grandma's open hand had: she was near 70 years old and decked my then 18 year old brother for a smart aleck comment ..... he was a State wrestling qualifyer and had survived numerous car accidents, been shot once, got into lots of fights ..... one whack from Velda and he hit the floor.

Wish there was a like button.

Offline AnzioBeach

• Forum Member
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:25:47 PM by AnzioBeach »

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Picked up some Hornady Critical Duty .40 for the Glock 23 and Critical Defense for the .38 special today. If somebody tried to use it against me for using "killer ammo" I would tell them that I wanted something I felt was reliable and wouldn't fail me if I tried to fire and protect myself. And if they say "why did you use hollow-points instead of FMJ?" I would respond with over penetration of a bullet could be a risk to others around.

Offline AnzioBeach

• Forum Member
For those of you who would like to know what the State of Nebraska uses...

2012 order

45 Automatic 230 gr. Ranger Bonded - RA45B
9mm Luger +P 124 gr. Ranger Bonded - RA9BA
12 Gauge Winchester Super-X Buckshot 2-3/4" #1 Buck 16 Pellets 1250 fps - XB121

http://www.das.state.ne.us/materiel/purchasing/contracts/pdfs/13030(oc)awd.pdf

Speer Gold Dot Duty Ammunition, 180gr .40 - speer gdhp 53962
Speer Gold Dot Duty Ammunition, 147gr 9mm - speer gdhp 53619
Federal TRU® Tactical Rifle Urban - .223 cal, 55 Grain, Ballistic Tip - federal t223f
Federal Cartridge - TRU® Tactical Rifle Urban - .223 cal, 55 Grain, SP - federal t223a
Federal LE13200 Law Enforcement 00 9 Pellet Buck Shot Low Recoil - federal LE12700

http://www.das.state.ne.us/materiel/purchasing/contracts/pdfs/13031(oc)awd.pdf

this can be found under
Police Equipment and Supplies
http://www.nebraska.gov/das/materiel/purchasing/contract_search/index.php
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:55:13 PM by AnzioBeach »