< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The CHP wait  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Theodore

• Forum Member
The CHP wait
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
Have lurked on the forum reading some of the CHP wait threads with more than a passing interest, as I applied for mine back in March.  I reached the 45-day mark this week and had a pleasant conversation with a lady at the State Patrol office this afternoon.  Some interesting snippets:

-applications submitted around mid-March are just now reaching the stage where they send them off to the FBI;
-the State Patrol is working overtime to get caught up (it was after regular business hours when she returned my call from earlier in the day);
-two new people have been hired to assist in processing applications;
-they are getting a lot of pressure from above to get it done;
-it will probably be another two weeks before it turns up.

She did put a "rush" on mine so maybe it will be here sooner, but that doesn't help the other people waiting past 45 days, as everyone seems to be.

I am glad to know the State Patrol is working hard to get caught up and said so in the letter I sent to the governor, attorney general, and ombudsman, but we should still expect the State Patrol to comply with the statutes and issue at 45 days.  I went through the same thing in Iowa when that state went to shall-issue, so this isn't new, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Politeness, patience, and pressure will get us there - eventually!

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: The CHP wait
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
I wonder if they're worried about keeping the lid on the delays. Which government agency can you name that says they'll bump you up and put a rush on something?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
I have 27 days as of today until i hit 45 days.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
Have lurked on the forum reading some of the CHP wait threads with more than a passing interest, as I applied for mine back in March.  I reached the 45-day mark this week and had a pleasant conversation with a lady at the State Patrol office this afternoon.  Some interesting snippets:

-applications submitted around mid-March are just now reaching the stage where they send them off to the FBI;-the State Patrol is working overtime to get caught up (it was after regular business hours when she returned my call from earlier in the day);
-two new people have been hired to assist in processing applications;
-they are getting a lot of pressure from above to get it done;
-it will probably be another two weeks before it turns up.

She did put a "rush" on mine so maybe it will be here sooner, but that doesn't help the other people waiting past 45 days, as everyone seems to be.

I am glad to know the State Patrol is working hard to get caught up and said so in the letter I sent to the governor, attorney general, and ombudsman, but we should still expect the State Patrol to comply with the statutes and issue at 45 days.  I went through the same thing in Iowa when that state went to shall-issue, so this isn't new, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Politeness, patience, and pressure will get us there - eventually!

I'm kinda wondering what exactly they are doing with the applications for the first 45 days? ? ? ? ?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »
Application submited April 2...    The 45 day count is May 16. 
Do I honestly  expect it in the mail within a few days after the 16th,  No.  Will I be making that polite, respectful phone call within a few days after the 16th, Yes.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
I'm kinda wondering what exactly they are doing with the applications for the first 45 days? ? ? ? ?

They have to be properly marinated while subject to coffee spills and donut sugar stains.

Offline Theodore

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »
I sort of wondered about that too - just why is it taking so long?  In order to know that, we'd have to know the exact process which takes place with each application.  I have not seen that information anywhere.  It would be interesting to know.  One might hope for some streamlining of the process, although that might require legislative action; I would be happy if the State Patrol would simply comply with the existing statutes.

I think it took less time for BATFE to issue my C&R FFL.  Of course they have more resources, but that also includes a full FBI background check.

I did hear back from the Ombudsman's office today.  They are certainly aware of the problem and are trying to help.

The failure of the State Patrol to comply with the law is disturbing.  I hope that the complaints from the public and pressure from authorities outside the State Patrol will result in compliance.  If not, there are other options.

Offline JumpStart

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
Just got my permit today  66 days from when I turned in my app.  Never thought would take this long,  hopefully they are able to get things figured out.

Offline Theodore

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Today was day 60 and two weeks after the last call, so I decided it was time to check again.  Here's how it went:

"Hi, it's been 60 days since I applied for my permit and I'd sort of like to know where it is."

"OK, let me check that for you...still waiting on the background check, be another week and a half.  We're very backed up with applications and renewals..."

"Beg pardon ma'am but it's been 60 days and you guys have 45 days to issue whether or not you've finished the background check and I would like my permit please."

"OK, we'll move it to the top of the pile and get it right out to you."

"Can I come pick it up today?"

"Yes you can."

So I did and now I have it.  The lesson, as always: the squeaky wheel gets the oil, especially if it squeaks politely.

The bigger lesson here: if it's been over 45 days, politely insist that the State Patrol comply with the statutes and issue your permit.  It worked for me, anyway.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »
Well done, Theodore!  Are you here in Lincoln?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:22:54 PM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline huskersforever

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Today was day 60 and two weeks after the last call, so I decided it was time to check again.  Here's how it went:

"Hi, it's been 60 days since I applied for my permit and I'd sort of like to know where it is."

"OK, let me check that for you...still waiting on the background check, be another week and a half.  We're very backed up with applications and renewals..."

"Beg pardon ma'am but it's been 60 days and you guys have 45 days to issue whether or not you've finished the background check and I would like my permit please."

"OK, we'll move it to the top of the pile and get it right out to you."

"Can I come pick it up today?"

"Yes you can."

So I did and now I have it.  The lesson, as always: the squeaky wheel gets the oil, especially if it squeaks politely.

The bigger lesson here: if it's been over 45 days, politely insist that the State Patrol comply with the statutes and issue your permit.  It worked for me, anyway.

Did you call the CID? and where did you pick up your permit?

Offline Theodore

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
huskersforever, I called the State Patrol line and was connected to CID, then to the desk that handles the permits.  I picked it up at the CID office in Lincoln.  Not that I'd recommend just walking up to the window and asking for it, mind you - tried that in Iowa when I lived there and it didn't go over very well - I think arranging ahead of time would be better.

HuskerXDM, I live in the Omaha area, Sarpy County.  An hour's drive (and is every street in Lincoln under construction?) but worth the trip.

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:23 AM »
Things must be getting a little quicker..
My wife and I turned in the paperwork on June 6, and got ours in the mail today, on July 5. I havent checked with our 3rd party that also turned his in the same day yet. I assume he got his as well.
RT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
I got mine in 31 Days  ;D

Offline R35P3CT

• NFOA Full Member
  • De go BOOM
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
I feel like i can help get people there permits a little quicker.  I called the CID office on my 46th day and inquired about my permit.  They said the process was running about a month behind, so I told them I could come and pick up my permit in person if that was an option.  I then had my CHP in 30 minutes after the phone call. 

So if anyone is in Lincoln and is able to stop by the CID, you should be able to get your permit sooner than 60ish days.  ;)