< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone seen Hornady Critical Duty in Lincoln?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Anyone seen Hornady Critical Duty in Lincoln?
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
For some reason, the only Hornady self-defense ammo I've run across, in town, is critical defense (115gr JHP). I'm looking for some 9mm Critical Duty (135gr JHP) to see if it runs through my gun -- and potentially switch to that round for self defense.

Here's some info on it:
http://www.hornady.com/store/9MM-135-gr-FlexLock-Critical-DUTY/
And some neat "real life" testing info:

I've used Speer Gold Dot (124gr JHP) and like it. Just got the itch to try something new.

Thanks!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone seen Hornady Critical Duty in Lincoln?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »
Scheel's had some as of last weekend.  Otherwise, Cabelas is carrying it if you want to drive to LaVista.  For what its worth I was talking to Mas Ayoob two weeks ago at a meeting.  Although he has not personally tested it in their wild hog shooting "lab" in Florida, he feels it will simply be another excellent option of a bonded jacketed hollow point e.g. Win PDX, Rem GS, Speer GD.  In other words, not anything better per se.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
Ok, I'll check at Scheels again. Cabela's for ammo is kind of like buying it twice. I have to spend the gas and pay a higher price at that store, so I typically won't buy ammo from them.

If it runs in my gun ok, I kind of figure it's one more thing I can stock up on when I can't find gold dot (which is hard to come by lately).

By the way, nice name drop!  ;) Did you take his Mag 40 class? What was this meeting you speak of?

Thanks.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
Whatsit. What sort of handgun are you using?
The reason I ask is as understand it, the Critical Duty was designed to run in the longer barrelled service pistols (> 4.5" ) Whereas Critical Defense was engineered for the more common more compact Carry pistols (< 4.5")  Of course the Duty stuff also passed FBI specs, but I would suspect it would not perform as it should out of a shorter barrel.  Since everything I have is 4.5" and under I have opted to stay with the "civilian" carry choice.  (oh and of course, plenty of Z-Max  8) )
Just thought I'd throw that out there. My $.02 for free. 

P.S. If you ask thegood folks at DE Guns nicely, they will usually be more than happy to order you some at near internet prices. They got the Critical Defense in 9x18mm for me when no one else would stock it, and it was less than I would have paid at a big box store and slightly less than internet price plus shipping. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:00:52 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
I'm also shooting out of a sub-4.5" gun. It's a Walther PPQ. Pretty comparable to a Glock 19, if that helps you picture it. I hadn't heard anything about barrel length for the Critical Duty. I am intrigued, though.

I would shoot the critical defense line, but I like a heavier bullet for self-defense -- just personal preference based on my limited self-education on the subject. Really, my opinion is: I wouldn't want to get hit by either one. Heck, I wouldn't want to get hit by a .22LR, for that matter. But, when the adrenaline is pumping, it would be nice to have the laws of physics on my side. Typical 124gr JHPs and the 135gr Critical Duty seem to have a good velocity / bullet weight ratio. Even some of the newer 145gr JHPs are starting to perform really well.

Anyway... DE Guns, of course! I should have thought about a special order through them. I really like that store. I'll ask next time I'm there drooling looking at their inventory.  :P

Thanks!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »

Anyway... DE Guns, of course! I should have thought about a special order through them. I really like that store. I'll ask next time I'm there drooling looking at their inventory.  :P

I know, huh?  I keep forgettin about that lil store on Cotner.  I tend to be in the Omaha metro or South Lincoln more than I am that side of town, we should support them more as they are fellow members.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
whatsit....I've taken several of his courses including LFI and MAG 40.  A couple of our NFOA brothers and I went to Minnesota last week for a CLE conference put on by Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.  Mas was one of the featured speakers. 
If interested we are considering having another MAG40 in Omaha in 2013.  This may include another 2 days (total of 5) for MAG 80.  Stay tuned here if its going to happen.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
If interested we are considering having another MAG40 in Omaha in 2013.  This may include another 2 days (total of 5) for MAG 80.  Stay tuned here if its going to happen.

That would be great! I really hope that happens. I'll have to start saving my cash. Thanks for the info!

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
By the way (and back to the original topic), Discount Enterprises Guns on Cotner had several boxes of Critical Duty 135gr. I had called Sheels and they didn't have it. Again, I really like DE guns -- but no one else should go there -- that little store is crowded enough when there's 5 customers at once.  :P

Seriously though, if you haven't checked them out, do so -- I'm glad they're located so close to me.

Thanks everyone!