< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Form 1 suppressor build  (Read 17214 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Form 1 suppressor build
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
That's FUNNY rahwt there!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
Busy evening tonight.  After dinner I decided to take apart my Savage MKII bolt action and get it ready to thread the barrel tomorrow.  After I had it apart I decided I might as well get it chucked up in the lathe.  One thing let to another and now I have it cut back to 18" and threaded.  We'll see how it shoots tomorrow.

I also slightly enlarged the bore diameter in the can.  It was right at .25", and I was starting to wonder if that was too tight.  I was shooting out to 50 yards today and it looked like some of the bullets may have keyholed.  After talking about it with some other guys I started wondering if the tight bore was affecting bullet stability.  So, I stepped up to a 17/64 drill bit (.265) which is actually what the guys at Silencertalk recommended.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
Round 2 has started.  Just a little bigger than the first one.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
Got the big brother done today.  Probably will be a few days before I have a chance to try it out.  This one was a lot more work.  Stainless is a lot harder to machine than aluminum, especially with a little benchtop lathe.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:34:24 PM by bkoenig »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
Baffles:

Drilled out the back of the mount to save a little weight.  It's still a heavy pig.  I overbuilt it.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
nice!  time to get that deer permit.....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Brian, that's pretty freaking sweet!  Bringing it to the meeting this weekend?
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
Brian, that's pretty freaking sweet!  Bringing it to the meeting this weekend?

I don't think I'm going to make it.  Mother In Law's birthday.  If I can go it will be a last minute thing, but I'll be sure to bring it.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
I don't think I'm going to make it.  Mother In Law's birthday.  If I can go it will be a last minute thing, but I'll be sure to bring it.

Mother In Law's birthday?  Unless there is free beer and fireworks I rank that holiday just below Arbor Day   :D

You must be banking on an inheritance.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
It's called keeping the wife happy. :D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 08:30:27 AM »
Bring the MIL out with ya. The Lil' one can teach grandma how to shoot 'her rifle'. ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »
It's called keeping the wife happy. :D
A happy wife means a happy life!
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
on the subsonic .22 ammo.  I have found rem subsonic  to function perfectly in my suppressed UZI subgun with .22 conversion.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
Performing some thread necromancy here.

I picked up a Remington 700 AAC-SD this winter and dropped it into a Bell & Carlson stock.  I've only put 50 rounds through it so far, but it's shaping up to be a sub-MOA rifle with the loads I've tried so far.  I need to track down some heavier bullets to take advantage of the fast twist (1:10) and see if that will shrink my groups some more, but right now it's hovering between .75 and 1 MOA from a bench.  I'm not a very good bench shooter, so I'm sure someone more skilled could do better.  I'm much more interested in shooting from positions, so once I get a good load worked up I want to do some long range shooting from prone.

Anyway, while I was breaking in the barrel I shot it without the can, but I bought this specific model because the 20" heavy barrel is threaded for a suppressor.  Last weekend I stuck the can on and headed to the range.  I saw no change in accuracy, but the point of impact shifted down 4 MOA due to the extra weight on the end of the barrel.  The big change was in how pleasant the rifle was to shoot. This is a heavy rifle with a thick recoil pad, so recoil was mild to begin with.  Now it's a pussycat.  The reduction in noise was the best part.  I wouldn't consider it hearing safe, but it made shooting it much more enjoyable.  I was shooting under a tin roof and an unsupressed 20" .308 is LOUD.  This got rid of all the muzzle blast and turned the "boom" into a loud "crack".  I think I need to build another 308 can for my Blackout so this one can stay on the .308.  I purposely overbuilt this one so it would hold up to .308, so I could build a dedicated .300 BLK can much lighter.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
I find the lack of concussion as much an improvement when shooting as the noise reduction. After shooting with a can for a while it's really unsettling to shoot with out one
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
The big change was in how pleasant the rifle was to shoot. This is a heavy rifle with a thick recoil pad, so recoil was mild to begin with.  Now it's a pussycat.  The reduction in noise was the best part.  I wouldn't consider it hearing safe, but it made shooting it much more enjoyable.

I eventually want to put a supressor on the "The Kids' Deer Rifle" (a Ruger Frontier in 7-08) for the same reason ...... Right now, I make reduced loads for it (139 and 150gr bullets @ 2300-2400 f/sec) ..... I'd eventually like to run heavier bullets (Speer 160 BT and mayber 168 Bergers) when they get older ......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
I like the finish on that stock.  How much did the stock run you? 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
It was $220 from Red Hawk Rifles.  I offset half of that by selling the crappy Hogue stock that came with the rifle on evilBay.  The finish is just Krylon Fusion, but I'll probably duracoat it at some point.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »
That's cheap.  I'll have to look more in to those stocks.  I would love a McMillan A4 but man that's a lot of money. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
I was very impressed with this stock for the money.  It's solid, if you ran out of ammo you could beat something to death with the giant hunk of fiberglass.  It has a steel bedding block that runs all the way past the front sling swivel, so it's not going to flex at all.  I bedded this one with acraglas to really lock everything down.