< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Free places to shoot around Lincoln  (Read 13916 times)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Free places to shoot around Lincoln
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I've been asking so many questions lately, I figured I would take time and pass on some knowledge I didn't glean from these forums.  :o

A friend of mine recently wrote Pat Molini at G&P and asked about shooting on public land around Lincoln. Here is my friend's original request:
Hi, Pat,

I'm wondering where the nearest public-access target shooting can be found around Lincoln.  I'm looking through the 2011 hunting guide and the Outdoor Nebraska ArcGIS map, and they sometimes don't match up.  I've also heard that the entrance to Triple Creek WMA has a sign that says no target shooting, even though the guide does not list that as a restriction.

Thanks for any information,

We were both confused about what can and can't be done on public land. Thankfully, Pat responded:

Thanks for your inquiry about target shooting. The different resources don’t always match because some are only published once a year and for safety reasons we have to shut areas down to target shooting before the new issues come out.

Use the attached list. It is the most accurate, however some areas may be closed by signs at any time. Know your target and what’s beyond your target. Clean up all your trash and leave nothing but your tracks. Thanks. Good luck and shoot safe.

One attachment was a spreadsheet with the following in it:
TARGET SHOOTING ON SE WMA'S         
CLOSED
Bluestem Lake SRA
Bramble WMA
Conestoga Lake SRA
Gifford Point WMA
Hedgefield WMA
Jack Sinn Memorial WMA
Killdeer WMA
Rakes Creek WMA
Rhoden WMA
Schilling WMA
Teal WMA
Triple Creek WMA
Two Rivers SRA/WMA
William Gilmour/Tabacco Island WMA
Wilson Creek WMA
Yankee Hill WMA

PORTIONS CLOSED
Branched Oak SRA/WMA**
(shotgun range on N side)
Pawnee (no rifles/handguns)
Olive Creek SRA**
Osage WMA**
Stagecoach Lake SRA**
Twin Lakes WMA**
Twin Oaks WMA**
Wagon Train Lake SRA**
Wildwood WMA **

**SEE MAPS

DATE CLOSED
Branched Oak DTA (Feb15-May31 & Aug15-Oct31)
Memphis SRA/WMA (May.1 - Sept.30)

WEAPON RESTRICTIONS
Bur Oak WMA (no rifles or handguns)
Catfish Run (no firearms)
Flathead WMA (no rifles or handguns)
Oak Glen WMA (no centerfire or
handguns)
Pawnee SRA (no centerfire or rimfire
rifles or pistols)
Schilling WMA (no rifles or handguns)
Two Rivers (shotguns & archery only

Many areas only allow non toxic shot
consult the annual hunt guide for these
areas.

All other Wildlife Management Areas in Southeast Nebraska are open to target shooting unless posted otherwise.

This list may NOT contain all closed areas. Areas may be closed by posting signs at any time.

For more information on Wildlife Managenet Areas that are open to target shooting and/or information on other restrictions, consult the annual Hunt Guide which can be found at www.outdoornebrask.org

Here are the 9 maps he also sent along:
Wildwood:

Wagon Train Lake:

Twin Oaks:

Twin Lakes:

Stagecoach Lake:

Pawnee:

Osage:

Olive Creek:

Branched Oak:

Obviously this info will be out of date in no time, but I figured that if it was hard for my friend and I to find, it was probably hard for someone else to locate.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

Thanks!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Free places to shoot around Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Yep, seems about right.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane