< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mossy 930 SPX Discussion  (Read 3835 times)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Mossy 930 SPX Discussion
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
Who has one and what are your thoughts? It's been around for a couple years and seems to be developing a good track record. The price for a semi-auto is decent ($600 - $700) and the extras like the sites are nice.

Besides it being tacticool, it looks like you can buy longer barrels that will take a choke if you want to hunt with it (has anyone done this?)

Anyway, I'd love to hear the opinion of some real owners before I jump on one. Thanks!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Mossy 930 SPX Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »
I have a field model 930 that I have modded for 3 gun use.  I'm very happy with it.  What are you planning to use it for?  If you want a competition gun the SPX version isn't the best choice - the barrel is too short and mag capacity is limited.  If you want a home defense gun or a fun blaster it would work fine.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »
i have had a 930hs, 930spx, and a 930 jm pro (on the way). they are simply great. I did the same thing you plan on doing and got a 28" ported barrel for my spx and took it trap shooting. it was so easy it is boring. it cycled everything i ever fed it and the only problem i ran into was when i tried to see how long i could cycle cheap birdshot before i needed to clean it. fwiw, it was just over 500 rounds. it would still cycle heavy loads. it is very soft shooting and has the ability to ghost load so total capacity is 9 on the spx. one really nice feature is you can dump the mag tube by lifting the loading gate, holding the bolt back, and pressing the bolt release.

as for my only dislike, it was the loading gate. it i wasnt cateful, it would catch my thumb. also, if you dont push the shell all the way it, it would pop out into the carrier.

i ended up selling the spx and hs version to get the 930jm pro and akdal 1919. one thing i would recommend is that if you don't really need the ghost ring sights, get the 18"/28" combo gun and nordic mag tube. the total will be less than a 930spx and you will have both barrels and the capacity. the long barrels from mossberg are ~$150 so the sxp plus long barrel will be well over $700.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
BKoenig, Well, I would like to get into some 3 gun fun, but home defense is probably the primary use. Like I said, I might get a longer barrel for some trap shooting or skeet and maybe a little hunting, but I'm not an avid bird hunter, so that's lower on the list.

Does your field model have the fiber optic sight? What kind of mods did you make to it?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:13:49 PM by whatsit »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »
Jonm, good suggestion. Does the Nordic tube get you the same capacity (or more) as the spx?

Where did you find a JM? What did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
I'm away from home and postingfrom my phone right now so I'll get you a more detailed write up later.  I posted a thread in the shotgun section a while back about all the mods I did, but I think the image links are broken.  I'll see if I can fix them.  In a nutshell, au had the barrel cut down and rethreaded, added a nordic tube, extended safety and charging handle, 10/22 fiber optic sights, welded the lifter, and beveled the loading port.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:20:59 AM »
Jonm, good suggestion. Does the Nordic tube get you the same capacity (or more) as the spx?

Where did you find a JM? What did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!
either the 2 round or 3 round nordic tube will get you to match the SPX capacity iirc. You can get an even longer tube to exceed the capacity of the SPX though.

I got it from Palmetto State Armory a few days ago when they were in stock. I want to say it was right around $550. Grabagun.com has them for the same price, just out of stock. It is a really good deal for what you get.

If you got the 18/28 combo, the long barrel is ported, threaded for chokes, and has a fiber sight. the short one has a gold bead sight and is not threaded.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
Ok, here's the thread on the mods I did to my 930.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,3466.0.html

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »
Wow! Great info from both of you.

Bkoenig, you are braver than I to take hacksaws and files to your gun  :o

Good job, though. Its looking great.

Jonm, does the JM Pro have a better loading port (so it doesn't bite you)?

Thanks again!

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
it does have the beveled loading port but i havent tried it yet. i would assume it's the same since it was the gate that was eating my thumb. after a change in technique, you can stop it from happening.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »
I know this thread is a little old, but it's only the fifth one down so I figured I'd post pic's of my 930 SPX to add to the discussion versus start a new thread.  Mines a Blackwater Edition, but the perty logo is covered up by the sidesaddle

The Choate mag tube was complete junk on mine and jammed all the time.  I waited 2 months for a replacement from Mossberg and it jammed worse than the original.  So, I purchased the +2 Nordic extension with the XXL end cap.
Also put on a Nordic tube clamp with rail to add on a Streamlight TLR-1s light and pressure switch.
Finished off the magazine upgrades with a GG&G follower.
Added a Tacstar sidesaddle
I want to put on a Trijicon RMR as well, but still saving for that one.

Here's some pic's:

USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin