Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Shotguns

Mossy 930 SPX Discussion

(1/3) > >>

whatsit:
Who has one and what are your thoughts? It's been around for a couple years and seems to be developing a good track record. The price for a semi-auto is decent ($600 - $700) and the extras like the sites are nice.

Besides it being tacticool, it looks like you can buy longer barrels that will take a choke if you want to hunt with it (has anyone done this?)

Anyway, I'd love to hear the opinion of some real owners before I jump on one. Thanks!

bkoenig:
I have a field model 930 that I have modded for 3 gun use.  I'm very happy with it.  What are you planning to use it for?  If you want a competition gun the SPX version isn't the best choice - the barrel is too short and mag capacity is limited.  If you want a home defense gun or a fun blaster it would work fine.

jonm:
i have had a 930hs, 930spx, and a 930 jm pro (on the way). they are simply great. I did the same thing you plan on doing and got a 28" ported barrel for my spx and took it trap shooting. it was so easy it is boring. it cycled everything i ever fed it and the only problem i ran into was when i tried to see how long i could cycle cheap birdshot before i needed to clean it. fwiw, it was just over 500 rounds. it would still cycle heavy loads. it is very soft shooting and has the ability to ghost load so total capacity is 9 on the spx. one really nice feature is you can dump the mag tube by lifting the loading gate, holding the bolt back, and pressing the bolt release.

as for my only dislike, it was the loading gate. it i wasnt cateful, it would catch my thumb. also, if you dont push the shell all the way it, it would pop out into the carrier.

i ended up selling the spx and hs version to get the 930jm pro and akdal 1919. one thing i would recommend is that if you don't really need the ghost ring sights, get the 18"/28" combo gun and nordic mag tube. the total will be less than a 930spx and you will have both barrels and the capacity. the long barrels from mossberg are ~$150 so the sxp plus long barrel will be well over $700.

whatsit:
BKoenig, Well, I would like to get into some 3 gun fun, but home defense is probably the primary use. Like I said, I might get a longer barrel for some trap shooting or skeet and maybe a little hunting, but I'm not an avid bird hunter, so that's lower on the list.

Does your field model have the fiber optic sight? What kind of mods did you make to it?

whatsit:
Jonm, good suggestion. Does the Nordic tube get you the same capacity (or more) as the spx?

Where did you find a JM? What did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version