< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Indoor Range Coming to Lincoln  (Read 8777 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: New Indoor Range Coming to Lincoln
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
Indoor ranges are not my thing. At all. Much rather see someone opening up a decent outdoor rifle range, but this is great for everyone else ;)

Found out recently I know one of the architects designing the thing, dated her a year ago for a couple months.

+1 on outdoor ranges. After college I am decided I'm moving to Grand Junction, CO, they have a range with 12 covered benches that go out to 1000 yards; best of all it's free.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:52:17 PM by bradkoll »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
I need to find a decent outdoor long range, I lost my airport and need to stretch the mauser a bit.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
Any update? Has this opened yet?  Did a quick search and only saw plan to open in October.  Their website, is also under construction still.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
Rumor is opening in early November
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
I just spoke to Teri (called the number on the business card above).  She hopes this coming Monday.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
I drive by there mostly every day on my way to work/back home, I am patiently waiting for the Grand Opening sign to appear.

Note: I am not disappointed that they are not open yet, I am sure that (as with any project of this scale) they have hit a few snags along the way and would be more than happy to be open already.

Also, I can't imagine what it must have been like for them at City Hall.... "you want to open a GUN RANGE? and sell guns within Lincoln city limits???? Hope you brought some good scissors to get through all the red tape.."

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
They are open. Went down to evaluate the place. A LOT of guns, my guess is close to 75 on display. Very large showroom, not alot of inventory yet, or maybe it looked that way due to being spread out so much. Range fees are $20 an hour, one hour minimum, and $5 every 15 minutes after that.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
Good to hear they are open. I wish them all the best. Now I will have to scrape up some $$ for range time...

Edited to add- their website has been updated with a little info- hours, rates, etc.

Edited again- I could have been following them on facebook and known a lot more....for some reason it didn't occur to me to look for them. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:54:42 PM by dkarp »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
They are open. Went down to evaluate the place. A LOT of guns, my guess is close to 75 on display. Very large showroom, not alot of inventory yet, or maybe it looked that way due to being spread out so much. Range fees are $20 an hour, one hour minimum, and $5 every 15 minutes after that.

One of the proprietors told me that all of their AR-15 merchandise was still on the way, and that in the meantime his wife made him move all the empty display units/shelving into the storage room so people walking into the newly opened store wouldn't be looking at a bunch of empty shelves.

One thing I noticed while I was there was that they are very Glock, Springfield, and S&W heavy. They did have a KSG that I drooled over for a while, but since I was carrying my four-month-old I didn't get a chance to play with it. The KSG is going for $980 if I remember correctly, a nice premium over MSRP, but still a lot cheaper than the $1200–$1400 that they are going for on gunbroker.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
I went and shot a few rounds at their bullet trap today. It's a very clean facility and very modern looking. The lanes are all equipped with a digital pad that you use to set the distance of your target (this is way cool).

You can't bring your own targets. The explanation was that the paper particles from a standard target will pollute the air or clog the air filters. Their special targets don't leave as much dust in the air, I guess.

You aren't allowed to draw from a holster while shooting. They also want you to watch a safety video before you use the range the first time. They're pretty concerned about your safety and health which is a good thing.

They do rent guns and their inventory is slowly growing as stuff comes in. I didn't have a chance to look at the choices, though.

Rifles are allowed as long as the ammo is not armor piercing and the caliber is .308 or smaller. They are very concerned about damage to their backstop, which I imagine is very expensive, so they will use a magnet on your rifle ammo to make sure it's not steel.

Overall, I was very impressed with the facility and staff. I will be going back, but my one problem is that it's so far from home.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 05:57:09 AM »
do they allow NFA weapons?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 07:44:17 AM »
oo good question. I don't have any of those, so I didn't think to ask.  Sorry.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
do they allow NFA weapons?

I just spoke with Steve at Big Shots and he indicated that they eventually plan to have some Title II firearms available to rent, in addition to the twenty-nine Title I firearms that are either available for rental now or will be in the next week or so.

He indicated that they do not allow full-auto on their range at this time.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
I just spoke with Steve at Big Shots and he indicated that they eventually plan to have some Title II firearms available to rent, in addition to the twenty-nine Title I firearms that are either available for rental now or will be in the next week or so.

They have 29 weapons to rent?  Wow.  Are these mostly pistols?  They mentioned the ability to "test" a gun before purchase.  Curious to know if this is the way that can be done.  Buy one of each you intend to sell and dedicate it to a "test" weapon. 

I will have to check them out this weekend.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
They have 29 weapons to rent?  Wow.  Are these mostly pistols?  They mentioned the ability to "test" a gun before purchase.  Curious to know if this is the way that can be done.  Buy one of each you intend to sell and dedicate it to a "test" weapon. 

He told me the other day that they won't be able to have a rental gun for every model they sell, but it is my understanding that a lot of their rental stock will be matched up with the inventory that is for sale.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

thanks for asking.  did he mention anything about seeing the Form 4?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »

thanks for asking.  did he mention anything about seeing the Form 4?

He mentioned something about paperwork being processed, but he didn't give me sufficient details to know exactly what he was talking about. He seemed to have the impression that they were waiting on paperwork that would allow them to permit full-auto fire on the range, not just paperwork that would allow them to take possession of NFA firearms. That sounded odd to me, but since I just cold-called the guy and started asking him some questions I didn't want to start grilling him about being wrong on some of the fine points.

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
I had the day off, so I took a drive down to check this place out.  It is an awesome place.  I don't understand how Lincoln can support two indoor ranges and Omaha only has one.  Their prices on handguns were a little high.  They did have a Gen 4 Glock 26 priced at 539, which I thought was really a decent price.  All the other Glocks were in the $600 and up including a Gen 3 Glock 26, possibly wrong price.  I keep hearing that there is two new ranges supposed to open in Omaha this spring, does anyone know anything about them?  I hear one will be in the Old Mill area and the other will be out around 144th and I80 or somewhere close.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
I also went to BigShots on Saturday.  Met the owner and his wife.  Great people, and extremely nice.  Rented an XDm 4.5" in 9mm for my wife to try and had a fun hour of target practice with the AR and Mosquito as well.  A bit pricey on the range price and the weapons under that glass were certainly a bit spendy, but I think every weapon under there was an "upgraded" version.  The XDm's don't come with Trijicon Night sights do they? 

Overall, very happy with our experience and Allen a RO on duty, was a great guy to BS with while the wife was plinking away.  Very knowledgeable and friendly. 

Also got some pricing on FFL xfers.  $50 for non memebers and $15-20 for members (IIRC).  Like every other new business, there is overhead to cover in the first few months of operation as they feel out the customers.  Hopefully these prices will lower as they become more established.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
"I don't understand how Lincoln can support two indoor ranges and Omaha only has one"

Lincoln can support two at this time as we've only had two for less than a month.  That being said, hope both can hang around a long time.  $50 transfer ???  Yikes.....