< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Don't like the results of gang study? Commission another one!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Looks like OPD is trying to bury the results of a recent study of their anti-gang tactics rather than openly discuss and/or refute its findings.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120716/NEWS/707169963/1685

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Don't like the results of gang study? Commission another one!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
..... Seemed to me that this "study" seriously lacked any measure of facts...... "Let's go ask some gang members if the Police have ever treated them badly, record the responses and call it a study!"

Having been treated less than proffesionally by OPD in the past, I am certainly not a fan of theirs, by any means..... but this "study" lacked any verifiable data, and looked more like a Tristan Bonn hitpiece .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
It appears that the individuals commissioned to conduct the studay said much the same thing, i.e. that it's not the be-all, end-all, but it's a place to begin asking questions. 

What's worrisome is the intent to bury the study.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »
You don't see this as some left leaning academics attempting to generate a well paying no-work gig?

I sure do.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
You don't see this as some left leaning academics attempting to generate a well paying no-work gig?

I sure do.

That could certainly be a part of it.  But, if nearly 1% of Omaha's population is comprised of known gang members (per OPD's database), there's obviously room for improvement in the way OPD handles gangs.  Rather than discuss it openly and seek to benefit from the critique, they're going to bury the study that offers the critique.

Seems unwise (at best) to me.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
I think this report is just like one you would read if the Violence Policy Center did a report on gun owners.  The author's had a preconcieved notion of what the report should say and asked the right questions to get their point of view shown.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I think this report is just like one you would read if the Violence Policy Center did a report on gun owners.  The author's had a preconcieved notion of what the report should say and asked the right questions to get their point of view shown.

I think that since we haven't seen the report, there is no way we can make any informed comments about whether or not the research is any good.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
I think that since we haven't seen the report, there is no way we can make any informed comments about whether or not the research is any good.

I heard the discusssion on KFAB, and read the article in the paper.  The sources used for "data" in this "study" were at best, hinky.   "Let's go ask some gang members if they have ever been mistreated by the Police...."   ..... so no, I have not read the report, but I am not completely uninformed on the matter, either.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
Jim while I do not completely disagree with you, that is an issue, they also interviewed police and others in the "study."  I think the biggest problem is what was asked for, what question was asked that this study was to identify.  That is where most studies fail, either the question is so poorly worded that any info is faulty or the question is so leading that it only brings up particular sets of information and completely misses data that counters a preconceived answer.

This is one of the big failures of Government bodies requesting studies, they don't know the issue well enough to ask the questions that would have real meaning and find solutions.