< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Here's My Stupid for Today  (Read 2306 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Here's My Stupid for Today
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
Went to the range today.

Took along the usual range bag full of handguns, ammo, whatever.   Hauled out the Springfield XD40 and filled some mags for it.

Inserted a fresh mag, slingshotted the slide, aimed, and fired away.   Hit the aim spot OK.   But.....Gun wouldn't cycle for a second shot.   Did same thing, three times....

Checked empty cartridge case.   Big bell mouth on it.

That's how I found out you can shoot a 9mm cartridge in a .40 caliber handgun and it definitely will go off.   And hit the target, fairly smartly.

But............it certainly won't cycle the slide.

Glad I wasn't at the trap range with some mixed 12&20 gauge stuff.

That's how I was stupid today.

Ever done anything stupid with guns??????

sfg

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:07:38 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Here's My Stupid for Today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
yup.  9mm out of a .40 hi-point carbine.

It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
A Brother in Arms!!!!!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
16ga in a 12ga shotgun.  They feed just find but won't extract.  The rim is just slightly smaller.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »
That's one scenario, your 9mm fed into and was held to the breechface by the extractor.  If the cartridge feeds in front of the extractor, it goes into the barrel, shooter chambers second round usually a 40 fires bullet hits primer of 9 mm cartridge everything goes boom.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
I found my G26 will fire .380s the same way  :-[

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
Been there, done that!
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
I've got a related question.  What would cause the opposite of this?  That is to ask, what if the case neck was narrow (fit into a 9mm chamber), but the body and base (rimless) was wide (about the diameter of a .40)? Also, I did not measure the length, but the case was not a rifle length.  It was about the length of a 9mm or .40 case.  I picked up a case at the Bullet Hole in Omaha, but accidently threw it away before I looked at the caliber on the base.  Is this some kind of caliber I am not aware of? It looked something like this, but the diameter may have also narrowed towards the base.  There were several of these on the floor.

|       |
   /         \
  |           |
  |           |
  |           |
  ======

Inquiring minds want to know.   ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:44:19 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
Possible tokarev (7.62x25) round?  Or 357 sig?

http://www.gunweek.com/2002/pix0210arc/5.jpg

357 sig would probably be the most popular of the 2 rounds

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
I've actually seen more Tokarev cases laying around than .357 Sig.  Probably because until recently you could still get cheap Tokarev surplus.

On a related note, I found some empty Tokarev cases at the range a few weeks ago.  Whoever was hand loading those suckers is lucky it didn't go Kaboom in his face.  The primers were all cratered and backed out and/or punctured.  Just because all that powder will fit in the case doesn't mean you should.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
I once camped with a friend the night before deer season opened. Woke up early, headed down to where the stands are.

After several hours a good looking doe wanders into range. At about 130 yards I shoot her with a .30'06 that two nights before I had used to knock golf balls off a fence post at 100 yards.

She just stands there.

Jack the bolt back and forward, place the cross hairs, shoot again.

She looks over towards me.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

She gets bored after the third shot and wanders back into the woods. I wait a bit, climb down, and spend a few hours looking for blood trails. Found nothing.

Never did figure out what had happened. The next day I used my buddy's .25'06 to take a doe. Checked my rifle the next weekend - it was dead on at 100 yards.

Ten years later we are hanging out shooting rifles. I fill a gallon jug with water and put it on the berm at about 75 yards. My friend picks up my rifle and misses by at least a foot. Shoots again with the same result. The curse has returned.

I check the scope mount - it's fine. Nothing loose on the rifle. I look at the ground and see one of his .25'06 cases with a badly swollen mouth. I mention to him that something really odd is going on... and suddenly it clicks. He had loaded my rifle with his ammo. A decade before I'd woken up in the dark in a below freezing tent and grabbed a few of his shells and done the same thing. By the time I was done looking for any sign I'd hit that doe it was dark and I never retrieved the cases, so I had wondered for years what had happened.

I always double check ammo now, but I did manage to load one round of 9mm into a .40 magazine. The top round. Then I chambered it and holstered the pistol before driving across the state... I'd been at a machine gun shoot all day, and had dumped my carry ammo into a pocket on my range bag to load up with ball to shoot at steel plates. I then spend much of the day playing with various 9mm subguns. Got home, took my holster off before going to bed, and heard an odd rattling noise. Glad I didn't need my pistol that day!

/rl

/rl

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
Possible tokarev (7.62x25) round?  Or 357 sig?

http://www.gunweek.com/2002/pix0210arc/5.jpg

357 sig would probably be the most popular of the 2 rounds
That's it!  I've never seen those rounds before.  I am exposing my newbness.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
haha we've all been there, I'm just as green as anyone

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
bkoenig:

The reason there's more Tokarev brass at the ranges is simply because .357Sig shooters diligently scrounge every last piece from the ground.

Many of us have not had eye contact with Real Humans for months, due to our bent-over, eyes-down posture.    But we do have buckets of brass.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:58:07 PM by SemperFiGuy »