< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Massive shooting in Colorado. Perp possibly used an AR  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
Massive shooting in Colorado. Perp possibly used an AR
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
http://www.9news.com/news/article/278707/71/Shooting-in-Aurora-

According to a few sources, the theater had "no guns" signs posted.

Hold onto your butts gentlemen.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Massive shooting in Colorado. Perp possibly used an AR
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
... or an AK.  Either way, it was one of those "evil assault weapons".

Prayers for the families of the killed and wounded.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
... or an AK.  Either way, it was one of those "evil assault weapons".

Prayers for the families of the killed and wounded.

I also heard an AK-type shotgun

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
A hospital has confirmed the youngest victim being treated for injuries is 3 months old... and witnesses report a 9ish year old girl being carried out by police.  Why in the world do they publish these guy's names...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:33:53 AM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
I'm not sure that the type of gun(s) he used is the important thing. The biggest thing is the well-being of victims and families and secondarily to the havoc this will wreak in the world of 2A gun activists.
I would say that it's good that the theater had the place posted because this will once again show that the bad guys obviously aren't heeding the signage, while the good guys are. I also hope that there will come to light a reason why he is an unlawful owner of the weapons he was in posession of; again showing that legal owners aren't prone to this type of behavior.
Anyway, just 2 cents from a relative noob here.

Prayers to the dead and wounded.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
I've been telling people for years this was going to happen in a movie theater some day. 

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:50:42 AM »
This is like a nightmare scenario from a CCW standpoint.

1 bad guy, 200 innocents, and CS gas.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
This is like a nightmare scenario from a CCW standpoint.

1 bad guy, 200 innocents, and CS gas.

And body armor...

Offline ALiesveld

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
Heard on FOX he had no permits of any type to carry.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
At this time it is premature to start guessing what happened, how, or why.  The media has a history in the face of these tragedies of giving false information based upon rumor and speculation, sometimes provided by the police.  As time goes by and and the real story becomes clear then is the time to deduce what has happened and what the issues are.

At this time all we can do is offer our prayers of support for the families involved and the entire community of Aurora as they wake this morning to deal with these tragic events.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
I grew up in Aurora. Lived there pretty much my whole young life. Moved to Nebraska when I was 21 from there. I talked to my dad this morning because "our" house is very close to that theater and he said it was bad and he's actually feeling depressed about the whole thing. Aurora has never been a great place to live, to be sure, but nothing like this. :( This is a tragedy.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
I grew up in Aurora. Lived there pretty much my whole young life. Moved to Nebraska when I was 21 from there. I talked to my dad this morning because "our" house is very close to that theater and he said it was bad and he's actually feeling depressed about the whole thing. Aurora has never been a great place to live, to be sure, but nothing like this. :( This is a tragedy.

I know the feeling. I lived in Dekalb, IL when the Northern Illinois University shooting happened.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
http://www.9news.com/news/article/278707/71/Shooting-in-Aurora-

According to a few sources, the theater had "no guns" signs posted.

Hold onto your butts gentlemen.

My understanding of Colorado CCW law concerning "no gun" signs is that they are only able to prevent open carry with the sign.

To prevent concealed carry they would have to do the following:
(4) A permit issued does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

(5) Nothing in this shall be construed to limit existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

I have read that there were Aurora police at the movie doing crowd control, and I assume they were armed. Perhaps they were checking for weapons at the door, but I do not know that that is the case.

In any case, stopping a heavily armed and armored assailant in a room full of tear gas would be a very tough job for anyone.

My kids and grand kids live on the outskirts of Aurora, and my daughter attained her PHD from CU Denver University Medical center, the same school this whacko attended.

My prayers go out to anyone effected by this horrible crime.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
Midnight showing of Batman?  On a weeknight?  How many possessed of the CCW/Be Prepared mindset are out and about?  Not many. 

The punk chose his target well.  Some accounts I've read is there were many pauses in the action as he stopped to reload and NO ONE came at him. 

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
The latest I just read had a total of 71 victims including wounded and dead. This THING that did this is the lowest of all scum that would go after small children.  This is so sad and my prayers go out to all involved. 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
So far FOX is sticking to the "Semi-automatic rifle" and not going in the direction of "assault weapon" as some other networks have. 

At one point today Drudge was reporting 15 killed, and it may indeed get to that point, but I surely hope not.  As FOX is reporting, this took place less than 10 miles from Columbine High School.  I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for the community and the parents/loved one's both of these tragedies as I am sure this one is affecting the families of the prior event. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
In the wounded list, they are including those seeking medical attn. from the tear gas, and those who trampled each other trying to flee.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
Posted about this on Facebook a couple hours ago, stating basically that for every 1 memorial post I've read, I've seen at least 1 anti 2A piece either on fb or in the media at large. And stating that we must stay ever vigilant, as the 2A folks, to make sure that we are carrying when possible, and pressing for more freedom when it comes to the exercising of our "rights". The first response read that we need to take some "time to mourn", and that I sounded like a politician. I responded that now is the only time we have to do what we can...and that we mustn't rest with regards to this because it only gives the antis time to spin spin spin. Piers Morgan (it was on at work) was posing the question "Should these weapons be allowed in modern America?". I had to go outside so I didn't put my fist through the tv.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »
Also, it began with a disclaimer stating that I wasn't making light, and that my prayers went out to those effected. It has nothing to do with being empathetic which I most certainly am. I was merely stating that it is imperative that we continue to fight the fight.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 12:58:38 AM »
And body armor...

It would have turned out much differently were it 200 people, with but 10 of them Carrying the Mindset, Skills and Hardware to defend themselves.

Yes, the CS complicates things, but you can function in that environment.  I have.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.