< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Downplay Of The 2A  (Read 1012 times)

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
The Downplay Of The 2A
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:23:25 AM »
In today's times the 2A's purpose is seen by the common public, and even by us (NFOA and gun owners) on a day to day basis, as the right to keep and bear arms for self defense, hunting, or recreational purposes.  When the founding fathers created our original bill of rights I'm sure that these were all reasons that they created the 2A.  However, in those times, it is my believe that this was not the major intent and reasoning for the founding fathers creating the 2A.  There main intent was to ensure that civilians were never again left defenseless against an oppressive government, should they ever face this again the future.  At the time they had recently freed themselves from such a government, and the fear of themselves or those in the future ever facing one again, especially defenseless, was a fear that wore heavy on their hearts. 
President Obama recently was quoted (and is frequently quoted) saying, "Like most Americans, I believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms.  And we recognize the traditions of gun ownership that passed on from generation to generation -— that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage."
Rarely do we see the media, elected officials, or our president quoted as saying that the 2A is important for the purpose of self defense.  Their support is usually pertaining to something along the lines of hunting, shooting, or something about passing down a tradition.  Even less frequently if never will you hear the president or most any elected official saying, the 2A is important in order to keep civilians armed in case we let the government spin out of control and oppress those we are suppose to be serving.  As if this is of little importance or no longer a possibility.   
Sure, hunting, shooting, and passing down traditions are all great things.  We love these freedoms and would never want to see them go.  It's easy for our government officials to say they want to protect the right to hunt and shoot guns.  At the same time it's easier to shed less importance on these rights, which is often how it comes to be that more legislation like the "Assault Weapons Ban" is passed.
The more and more this original intent of the 2A is downplayed, the easier it will be to take it away.  President Obama says he believes in the 2A and knows the importance of hunting, shooting, and passing down traditions.  But does he know the importance of the our society and citizens being able to protect themselves against himself (government)?  I say in the scheme of things the right to hunt, shoot, and pass down traditions are rather minuscule compared to the right of not being defenseless from an oppressive government. 
Why has it gone on the way side that what our 2A is really for is to protect us from an oppressive government?  Many will argue that this is no longer a valid argument because it is something that won't ever happen again.  That we no longer need the 2A for that reason.  However, our founding fathers viewed this as the most important factor in creating the 2A.  History, along with many examples today in other countries around the world, show(s) that freedom and ignorance to the threat of an oppressive government cannot be thrown to the way side and taken lightly.  It seems as if more and more often every year events and occurrences that one would have never thought would occur, do.  The fact that we or our children may one day, once again, face an oppressive government is not an utterly unforeseeable event.  It shall always be in the realm of possibilities.     
Having said that, when you face those wishing to restrict the types of firearms you can own, the number of rounds that you have in your magazine, or the way in which you carry your firearm, don't forget what our 2A is really for.  We to often in our arguments for the 2A, neglect to shine light on this fundamental reasoning.  Are we scared that when we say we want to protect our 2A in case our government tries to oppress us, that those we are facing will look at us as loonies.  Of course we are.  It is so much easier to argue for the 2A having the purpose of self defense, hunting, and shooting.  At the same time it seems as though it is easier for those opposed to the 2A to downgrade the importance of these rights.  These reasons however are truly trumped by the real intent the founding fathers created the 2A, and the more importance and reasoning we take away from the 2A, the easier it is to take it away.
It's easy for our opposition to argue that we don't need an ar-15 that holds 30 rounds to go hunting, or to stop an act of violence from one or two criminals.  But far less easy to argue that we wouldn't need these types of firearms with these types of capabilities to face a heavily armed government wishing to disarm and oppress us.
Do I think that President Obama and other elected officials really want to put more gun control in place to leave us defenseless, in order to oppress us further? No. However, if you ask me if when these government officials are trying to put more gun control in place, they are doing so having discounted the original and oh so important reason for the 2A, my answer is Yes.  They have placed that importance in the back of their mind, just like the common public.  They see this as no longer a need, invalid in our country today.  To me this is a shame.  An insult to our great country and those before us; or founding fathers.
So when you argue for your support of the 2A to those in opposition; when you are educating those less knowledgeable of our bill of rights; or you are teaching your children or family members the importance of this fundamental right; don't forget to inform them of this fundamental reasoning.  For this is not today, nor will it ever be in the future, an unfeasible or expired reasoning.  To neglect to acknowledge the most important reasoning; the original purpose, only ultimately undermines and degrades the importance of this fundamental right.  To undermine this, in some ways, undermines the importance of life and liberty for us and for those future generations. Its easy to take our freedom in this country for granted, having never known anything else, but don't forget those lessons of the past, do not undermine or heed the warning our founding fathers have left us.

Thanks

-cckyle

Offline ALiesveld

• Forum Member
Re: The Downplay Of The 2A
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Do I think that President Obama and other elected officials really want to put more gun control in place to leave us defenseless, in order to oppress us further? No.

You would be wrong if you really believe that Obama's goal is not to leave us defenseless and at the mercy of the government for our salvation.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
The more I read about Obama's educational influences, the more I really believe his philosophy of government is that the populace should depend on it for everything. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
You would be wrong if you really believe that Obama's goal is not to leave us defenseless and at the mercy of the government for our salvation.

I agree with Dan 100%.  Obama and his ilk want us to be dependent on the government.  A free, armed people will never be that way.  He may not want to "oppress" us (at least not in his mind) but he wants government control over our lives.  I call that oppression, even if Obama would not.