< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 3D Printed AR15 lower  (Read 1105 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
3D Printed AR15 lower
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »
Yes, I know it's a cliche, but this changes everything.  Not just in guns, but 3D printing has the potential to revolutionize the production of every single item we use.  Need a new lower receiver, spatula, chair, mailbox or any other object?  Print it.  When any object is just a CAD file away from production it will be impossible to ban anything.  Especially when, not if, this technology can be applied to metals.  Mark my words, 10-20 years from now you won't go to the store to buy things.  You'll get online and download a CAD file.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_3D_printed_lower___yes__it_works_.html

A little background on 3D printing:

The technology has been around for quite a while, but it's now getting cheap enough that almost anyone can afford it.  A quick web search found several printers for $1000 and lower.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 3D Printed AR15 lower
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »
crazy.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »
Now can it make me ammo? :/
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
There are printers capable of metal printing. Contured parts do show some printer resolution but can be smoothed out like any other metal product.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Can it make Cathy Rankin?                                                                                                     cathyrankin.com
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Mark my words, 10-20 years from now you won't go to the store to buy things.  You'll get online and download a CAD file.

Arent we supposed to have flying cars now also?