< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Long Range Scope Opinions  (Read 3106 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Long Range Scope Opinions
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I would stay away from oddball tube sizes.

You mean the 35mm as odd ?, and 30mm is OK. I assume.

Just did some reading on Vortex. Anyone have any history with them?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
35 isnt odd ball. it is easy enough to find rings for. they are more expensive though.

also, the quality of the glass is the biggest factor in light transmission over objective size and tube size.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:54:09 PM by jonm »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
they are more expensive though.

exactly

also, the quality of the glass is the biggest factor in light transmission over objective size and tube size.

of course, as the OP already stated.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
I don't know if you are interested in Leupold's, but Midway is has a pretty good sale on blemished scopes.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
First off: What is it for?

Unless you are doing competitive target shooting, or that weird equipment contest that is Bench-Rest ...... then all these GearHead Uberspendy scopes are just guilding the lilly......

Koz, I think you might be better served investing in trigger time with an inexpensive rifle and scope than spending a huge amount of money on equipment your inexperience will not allow you to appreciate.  I don't have the skills to justify hunting with $1K piece of glass atop my $400 rifle.... I don't think the animals would be any deader if my scope said Swarovski, Nightforce, or Leupold, ...... and I don't shoot far enough to need the Palomar Observatory atop the gun, either..... my dinky 3x9x32 :o Simmons Deerfield on my .270 WIN will get me to 400 yards with all the bullets in a 10" circle.  That scope has been on there since at least the early 90's, and works year in, year out.  They are available on e-bay for as little as 25 bucks.

"It is a rare marksman that can shoot up to his equipment."- Jeff Cooper

I think the answer to "What's the best scope?" is the same as the answer to "What's the best rifle?"

The answer is: the one you have!  Master that, and then move up to something pricier.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
Glass is great but everyone has a budget.  Guy had a spotting scope on tripod.  I peeked through it and saw holes, asked what it was pointed at.  50cal bullet holes on paper at 1 mile.  Better gun and better optics that what my house cost.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
A little off track here. When mounting the scope base to the rifle, has anyone needed to chase the threads in the mounting holes on the reciever? My new Savage seems to have some gunk in the holes so the screws do not go in smootly. Was able to get three in, but the 4th will not go at all. Internet rumor is that this is common on the Savage Rifles.
Think the tap needs to be 6-48. Any ideas on where to purchase one locally?

Thanks again.
Koz
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan