< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: possessing handguns in Omaha.  (Read 3409 times)

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
possessing handguns in Omaha.
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
i have been trying to gather my fire arms in cali out here in NE for a while now, and nothing has come of it as of yet. and now something else has been added to the mix, i am moving to Omaha because of issues on the woman's side of the family. i did some reading and research i just wanted others opinions and knowledge on this. if i have a CCW do i still have to register hand guns i posses or ones i may buy? what if i buy a handgun out side of Omaha, say in Lincoln? if i send my hand guns and rifles to a ffl out here in NE to omaha would i have to register all of them? what if i had a CCW? if i sent them to somewhere in Lincoln and brought them to omaha and had a CCW? and how would i even go about registering 45+ handguns in omaha anyway? just bring them all down to the local PD? i keep getting two different answers on allot of these questions. and as much as i would like to avoid living in omaha all together that is not going to happen. any advice or ways around this insane registration?

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: possessing handguns in Omaha.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
Someone more knowledgeable than me on Omaha's retardation will probably chime in shortly. Although it is probably nothing compared to what you are used to in Cali.

My understanding is that a NE CHP makes the handgun registration requirement in Omaha null. You could have your weapons shipped to an FFL in Omaha no problem. If you are not willing to wait the 180 days to get your NE CHP, you will have to register all of the handguns.

A CHP can also be used as a purchase permit across the state. Omaha is the only part of the state with a registration program. I generally avoid Omaha whenever I can.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
We forced the City to make some changes to their ordinance on registration last year, amazing what a little law suit will do.

If you have a Nebraska CCW you are not required to register your handguns, and the new ordinance recognizes that fact.  If you would like to register your handguns in Omaha you can and they will do it for free (with a CCW, other wise it's $10).  The local FFL's are supposed to know that a person with a CCW does not need to register and not require them to go do so before taking possession.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:31:11 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
The other commenters adequately answered your question, I think, but I did want to add one thing: please do not take your handguns to the police department.

well that was my question if i had to, i really didn't think taking all the handguns to the pd would be the way to go just didn't know how i would go about it.

how much is a CHP anyway? and about how much are the classes you need to take?

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
also, i will be working in law enforcement in omaha, does that afford me any thing as far as weapons go for the city? i know in cali, LE to got away from the 1 handgun a month rule and able to buy handguns not on the approved list of handguns to be sold. but seeing as this isn't one of THOSE states just didn't know. also how does omaha feel about NFA weapons?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
Most CHP classes are around 150, then another 100 to NSP when you apply for the actual permit.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
If you are registering a handgun that you didn't just buy in Omaha, you have to take it to the PD to get it registered. I would go the CHP route if you can wait to have them sent here until you have it.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:16 PM »
The Omaha LE question, you would not need a purchase permit to purchase in NE, but you still would need to register in Omaha.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
45+ eh? Perhaps some of us outside of Omaha could use store them while you wait for your residency to kick in and your CHP to go through. I'm sure I wouldn't mind shooting storing a few for you.  :P

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
and as much as i would like to avoid living in omaha all together that is not going to happen. any advice or ways around this insane registration?

Have you considered living just outside of Omaha? Sarpy County, Washington County, or one of the small town in Douglas County. This is a viable way to avoid the repressive taxation and gestapo type gun rules. You could save enough in wheel taxes to pay for your CHP in a couple of years.
Just sayin, Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
A couple of things. Others are right that you don't need to register with a CHP. However, if you did have to register, the guns must be taken in person to OPD headquarters downtown. They limit you to 2 or 3 per visit. A rather ridiculous policy. Years ago, I had to take a new gun I bought out of town to the OPD to register. Another guy was registering a 3rd gen S&W that OPD confiscated because he had a firearms related infraction on his record (discharge in the city when he was younger). Ironically, the sheriff had issued him a purchase certificate.

Possession is what matters with the registration, not purchase. If you buy a gun outside Omaha and want to possess it in Omaha, you still have to register it. If you buy from an FFL in Omaha, they will give you a registration card to take to OPD. If you buy it outside of Omaha or in a private sale, you have to take the gun to OPD.

Also, I'm not sure where the FFL comes into play. If you own the guns and they are located elsewhere, I believe you can ship them to yourself at your new address in Nebraska. You can also bring them yourself when you move.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
Here's an Interesting Feature of the Omaha Handgun Registration Process:

If you do register a handgun in Omaha,  it stays on your OPD record until you sell it and the new owner then takes it in to re-register the gun.

So--if you should sell the gun to someone outside Omaha, or if the new Omaha owner does not register the gun, the list of handguns connected with you grows and grows and grows.    Until it appears that you have what the Omaha World Herald would call an "arsenal".

You can ask OPD to take the sold/transferred handgun off your list.

But--------They won't.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Also, I'm not sure where the FFL comes into play. If you own the guns and they are located elsewhere, I believe you can ship them to yourself at your new address in Nebraska. You can also bring them yourself when you move.

i already am in Nebraska just not a official resident, and a few of the hand guns are registered to my father. also a few are registered as "assault weapons" and require him alone to go with them along with his paper work to a "assault weapon licensed" ffl to send them out of state to me. such as the mac 10, tec 9, colt AR15, and so on which are banned by make and model. i am still not sure if what i have to do to take the handguns out of state since they are registered to my father. the longguns that are not registered AWs i could take today and drive them out of state the rest im not sure of the legality behind them as far as CA is concerned.

time isn't much of an issue i can do this at anytime. i was mostly wondering as to buy a fire arm for personal protection until i get around to getting the rest of my collection out here.

to answer the question of why i don't live out side of omaha, i have looked at that to some extent. we are looking for decent places to live with our son and for the new one on the way, along with needing to be near the family and work, as she can only drive so far being so pregnant, along with the snow that is coming.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
The cleanest solution for you is to wait out the six months of Nebraska residency until you qualify for a CHP and then get one. (Even if she isn't very interested, your wife should get one, too.) Without a CHP:
  • It isn't practical to carry routinely.
  • You have to register with the OPD any handgun you bring inside the Omaha city limits.
  • You must obtain a handgun transfer permit from the local sheriff before you buy a gun including from a private person. This doesn't apply to any guns you get from a close relative such as your father.
These issues go away if you have a CHP.

Don't give up on finding decent, affordable housing outside the Omaha city limits. Possibilities are:
  • Cities of Ralston, La Vista, Papillion, Bellevue and Bennington. There are other good choices a bit farther out.
  • Unincorporated parts of Douglas, Sarpy and Washington counties.
  • Pottawatomie county in Iowa including Council Bluffs. (Iowa carry permit is honored by Nebraska.)
Property taxes will be lowest in unincorporated parts of the counties.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
Dark45, IF you have a current California CCW permit the 180 day wait is waived.

The waiver would apply to any valid permit holder from a state Nebraska honors
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.