< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Finally, Gun building for geeks.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Finally, Gun building for geeks.
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/you-don-t-bring-a-3d-printer-to-a-gun-fight----yet.html

BK; Time to put the lathe to rest and come into the next century!  ;D :laugh: 8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Finally, Gun building for geeks.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
My, My, My!!!!!!!!!!!

Look what has happened to Rapid Prototyping.

I'm gonna make me a Strayer-Voigt Infinity in .45ACP [one of the few calibers that just happens to be missing from the current inventory].

And all those impossible-to-find gun parts will now be available to make at home just by downloading the exploded view from the on-line catalog.

sfg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:37:12 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
way ahead of you...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,5897.msg42743.html#msg42743

;D

Now I remember where I had read about it before- But I bet with that story out now, the Feds/ BATFE will be all up on this.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
Now I remember where I had read about it before- But I bet with that story out now, the Feds/ BATFE will be all up on this.

No doubt Obongo & Holder are conniving right now on how to ship dozens of these 3D printers to Mexican Cartels - you know just to cut out the middle man......

While I would never put anything past the 'Feds' -it's already legal to manufacture your own gun (for personal use) so all this does is make it potentially more convenient/cheaper.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
Convenient is the key.  Most people with the equipment and skills required to manufacture a firearm are intelligent, affluent, and law abiding.

Any monkey with a couple of simple tools can assemble an AR with internet parts.  All they need is a generic, non-traceable lower.

Before you know it, we will need to do a FFL transfer on a lower parts kit.  Better stock up on Glock and AR parts before the panic.