< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: John Stacey's loses his court challenge  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
John Stacey's loses his court challenge
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
The Judge ruled today that the handgun purchase permit is not unconstitutional... So Stacey has his next court hearing on the charge Oct 19th.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: John Stacey's loses his court challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
Can you provide more background on your post?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
He had challenged the constitutionality of the handgun purchase permit law, said that it was an infringement on his 2nd Amendment right.

He was attempting to have his charge dropped for loaning a handgun to his "friend", former Gretna city Administrator Colleen Lawry

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Remember the details now....part of me disappointed on the finding, but for his sake you do the crime...you do the time.... He's TEFLON anyway.....

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
It is unconstitutional, but that is just my considered opinion.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »
It is unconstitutional, but that is just my considered opinion.

At some point we may have to pay a fee, register our opinions and have them regulated, you know, for public safety. It's only common sense speech control and who can be against that? 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
Definitely unconstitutional. I don't see how they can maintain that I need to pay the state a fee and ask their permission to exercise a right is constitutional. I hope he has the deep pockets to take it all the way to the NE Supreme Court.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
Is loaning a handgun to someone without a purchase permit considered a firearms offense that would keep him from passing a NICS check?

Offline equinox137

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
I'm still a little lost as to what violation of law actually occurred here.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
You cannot loan a handgun to someone (with them leaving your line of sight), if that person does not have a handgun purchase permit.

Unless the borrower falls into one of the exempt categories. (FFL, Law Enforcement officer for DUTY, CHP holder, immediate family, antique handgun, etc...)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
You cannot loan a handgun to someone (with them leaving your line of sight), if that person does not have a handgun purchase permit.

Unless the borrower falls into one of the exempt categories. (FFL, Law Enforcement officer for DUTY, CHP holder, immediate family, antique handgun, etc...)
Chris Zeeb

This issue comes up in my Concealed Handgun Permit classes quite often when attendees ask if they can loan/borrow a handgun from someone else for CHP range qualification.    They are universally astounded when the above blue card Firearms Purchase Permit [actually, handgun purchase permit] requirement is laid out before them.   After all, even John Stacey, the Bellevue, NE city prosecutor seems not to have known it.

Also, the Omaha Handgun Registration Code is a deep mystery to most folks, as well.   Including just a whole lot of Omaha area NE Concealed Handgun Instructors..

Wish it weren't true.   However, 'Tis.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:59:25 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
With all the Talk going on about the introduction of this new law or that new law

A thought hit me about Nebraska's handgun purchase permit and outcome of this case!

Since Nebraska handgun purchase permit's are only good for 3 years!

Once it expire's if you don't renew it and you own a handgun...... could you also be in violation of this law ?

Oh and i noticed when i got mine last year it's not called  a handgun purchase permit.
It's called a "Firearm purchase permit"

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
With all the Talk going on about the introduction of this new law or that new law

A thought hit me about Nebraska's handgun purchase permit and outcome of this case!

Since Nebraska handgun purchase permit's are only good for 3 years!

Once it expire's if you don't renew it and you own a handgun...... could you also be in violation of this law ?

Oh and i noticed when i got mine last year it's not called  a handgun purchase permit.
It's called a "Firearm purchase permit"

This case was postponed because the trial was to start right around the day or so after the CT shooting.

No you do not have to have a permit to posses a handgun, you only need one to aquire it. In this case she clearly never had a permit to begin with, and did not fall into an exempt category for him to give it to her without a permit

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
Also note...... This same charge against Colleen Lawry was dropped as part of a plea deal in her theft case.

They are still sticking John Stacey with the charge though