< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: MUST READ! Senator Brenda Councils view of the 2nd Amendment. OMG!!  (Read 4024 times)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
All I have to say about Her response below my letter is Oh my God. Feel free to email and call her ripping her on this one. What a freakin joke.
My letter to her.

Concerning LB430.

It is imperative that this bill is brought out on the floor for a vote.

Cities in Nebraska have made their own laws which have made things confusing and difficult for those of us who are law abiding conceal carry holders. The way it is now a conceal carry permit holder could be a criminal just by passing through a city or town and not even know it.

Furthermore, I will be honest with you. I believe that the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution IS my conceal carry permit. I have no felonies and am a responsible gun owner. I believe that the Second Amendment protects all the other Amendments in the Constitution.

All of us need to start remembering why our founding fathers put the Second Amendment in place. It was so "We The People" had the ability to protect ourselves, our families and our country form enemies both foreign and domestic. I know that some in this country do not take the Constitution seriously and believe that it can just be ignored, manipulated or changed through back door tactics. I however believe it says what it says for a reason. It is the job of the law making bodies in this state and this country to defend every aspect of it no matter their personal or political opinions.

It is time for Nebraska to take the National stage in protect Freedom. Protecting the rights set by our founders. It is time for those who believe in freedom to stand apart from those who don't and be counted. So please take this step and stand and be counted. Then continue to stand up for this and all rights.

Thank you for your time

Rich Wiese

Proud NRA and NFOA (Nebraska Firearms Owners Association) Member.

Brenda Councils response.

Dear Mr. Wiese:

While I respect your right to your opinion on LB 430, I do not agree and, therefore, I did not vote to advance it to General File and I will speak against it during floor debate.  Additionally, I do not agree with your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution and your assertion that my opinion represents a denial of ?Freedom.?  To the contrary, there is as much if not more historical support for my interpretation that the 2nd Amendment ?right? to bear arms is limited.  I direct your attention to www.usconstitution.net/consttop_2nd.html.

So, while it is clear that we will never agree on this issue, I trust that we can be civil in our disagreement. 

Senator Brenda J. Council
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
Re: MUST READ! Senator Brenda Councils view of the 2nd Amendment. OMG!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
Pretty pathetic, but what else would you expect?

I didn't read the whole article she linked to, but am assuming it argues that the 2nd Amendment does not protect an individual right to keep and bear arms. And that the States have the right to regulate it as they see fit. Hmm, I guess that's all well and good.

But I wonder what she has to say about http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/articles.php?article=I-1?
I-1 Statement of rights. All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
It seems to me that our State (in other words, us) have decided that we do want to protect an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
I sent the esteemed Senator a little note

Senator Council:

You recently wrote in an Email:

"While I respect your right to your opinion on LB 430, I do not agree and, therefore, I did not vote to advance it to General File and I will speak against it during floor debate.  Additionally, I do not agree with your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution and your assertion that my opinion represents a denial of ?Freedom.?  To the contrary, there is as much if not more historical support for my interpretation that the 2nd Amendment ?right? to bear arms is limited.  I direct your attention to www.usconstitution.net/consttop_2nd.html."

Perhaps, Senator, you could find the time to read the Nebraska Constitution. I think you might find that the debate at the Federal level becomes moot when our State has protected the God given right to self defense. The very protection  you seem determined to deny with some specious argument about a  Federal issue, while this debate  is a State of Nebraska issue.

Here is the  text if you can't find it for yourself:

I-1 Statement of rights. All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Please try to include the Rights of Nebraskan's in your interpretations of State issues

Sincerely,

Dan W
Lincoln NE

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
Dan, you've been a hero of mine for a long time, and you just reminded me yet again why.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:49:59 PM by Jay »

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
Good job Dan.
 When she was a host on KETV channel 6 on Omaha's Kalidescope show she made a comment one day that she would like to see all guns gone. I wish I had that show on tape. I tried to get it through the news station but no response yet.
 Oh and my response back to Mrs. Council was not as nice as Dan's. She just rubbed me the wrong way and with her opinion as it is and felt I had nothing to lose.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »
Dan, you've been a hero of mine for a long time, and you just reminded me yet again why.

Wow Jay, I don't know what to say...  Thanks
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
" When she was a host on KETV channel 6 on Omaha's Kalidescope show she made a comment one day that she would like to see all guns gone. "

Wishing for that is wishing for a return to the dark ages: Rule by the Strong, the Young, and the Mobs....  him that swings the biggest or most clubs.  The gun is civilization.

http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com/2007/03/why-gun-is-civilization.html

Go there, read it.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Dan - That was one heck of a reply!  Well done, I'm glad you're on our side.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »
It has shut her up for now.  No replies yet...maybe Ernie is thinkin on her next move
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Rifleman

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Life Member / Instructor Certification
    • The Celtic Traveler
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »
I don't think we'll ever "shut these people up." What we need to do is vote them out.

They are malignant, self-righteous ideologues. And arrogant to boot.

Send 'em packing, I say. (And I don't mean toting!)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »
She was pretty much hand-picked by Ernie to take his place. 
Although I disagreed with nearly all of Ernie's position, I respected him in that he did his job well and had perfected his debating skills over the years.  If Ernie didn't like something, it didn't get done 90% of the time.

Brenda Council is no Ernie ChambersKING COBRA.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »
Although I disagreed with nearly all of Ernie's position, I respected him in that he did his job well and had perfected his debating skills over the years.  If Ernie didn't like something, it didn't get done 90% of the time.

Brenda Council is no Ernie ChambersKING COBRA.

I agree with this 110%.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »
Dan-

Did you ever get a response from Senator Council?????????

Well done sir!

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
Yea and she was absent from the floor when the vote on LB430 was being voted on.  The vote tally was I think 45yes,3 no, and 1[senator brenda council,absent and not voting.  rich17z@cox.net

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Dan-

Did you ever get a response from Senator Council?????????

Well done sir!

......crickets chirping...nothin yet
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Do senators take an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of Nebraska? While many people "interpert" the constituions(s) to mean what theysay, I believe the constution(s) mean what the constitution(s)  says. I also believe that if a person disagrees with one clause of the constituion then that person also has to disagree with the rest of the constiuiton. I do not believe that the constiutuion is a pick and chose document. If a person who has taken an oath to defend the constution, fails to deend all of the constituition then that person has violated their oath and should be removed from office.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
 Section 11-101.01
Oath of office; state and political subdivisions; employees; form.

All persons in Nebraska, with the exception of executive and judicial officers and members of the Legislature who are required to take the oath prescribed by Article XV, section 1, of the Constitution of Nebraska, who are paid from public funds for their services, including teachers and all other employees paid from public school funds, shall be required to take and subscribe an oath in writing, before a person authorized to administer oaths in this state, and file same with the Department of Administrative Services, or the county clerk of the county where such services are performed, which oath shall be as follows:

I, .........., do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Nebraska, against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or for purpose of evasion; and that I will faithfully and impartially perform the duties of the office of .......... according to law, and to the best of my ability. And I do further swear that I do not advocate, nor am I a member of any political party or organization that advocates the overthrow of the government of the United States or of this state by force or violence; and that during such time as I am in this position I will not advocate nor become a member of any political party or organization that advocates the overthrow of the government of the United States or of this state by force or violence. So help me God.

Source:

Laws 1951, c. 206, ? 1, p. 765

Laws 1967, c. 35, ? 1, p. 158

~Reissue Revised Statutes of Nebraska

XV-1 Official oath; refusal; disqualification. Executive and judicial officers and members of the legislature, before they enter upon their official duties shall take and subscribe the following oath, or affirmation. "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States, and the constitution of the State of Nebraska, and will faithfully discharge the duties of .......... according to the best of my ability, and that at the election at which I was chosen to fill said office, I have not improperly influenced in any way the vote of any elector, and have not accepted, nor will I accept or receive, directly or indirectly, any money or other valuable thing from any corporation, company or person, or any promise of office, for any official act or influence (for any vote I may give or withhold on any bill, resolution, or appropriation)." Any such officer or member of the legislature who shall refuse to take the oath herein prescribed, shall forfeit his office, and any person who shall be convicted of having sworn falsely to, or of violating his said oath shall forfeit his office, and thereafter be disqualified from holding any office of profit or trust in this state unless he shall have been restored to civil rights.
Source

1. Neb. Const. art. XIV, sec. 1 (1875);
   2. Transferred by Constitutional Convention, 1919-1920, art. XV, sec. 1.

Annotations

Violation of judicial oath aggravates offense of disregarding oath as a lawyer. State ex rel. Nebraska State Bar Assn. v. Conover, 166 Neb. 132, 88 N.W.2d 135 (1958).

County judge is required to take oath of constitutional officers. State ex rel. Nebraska State Bar Assn. v. Wiebusch, 153 Neb. 583, 45 N.W.2d 583 (1951).

Exact form of oath to be taken by executive and judicial officers and members of Legislature is prescribed. State ex rel. Johnson v. Chase, 147 Neb. 758, 25 N.W.2d 1 (1946).

A judicial officer is required to take and subscribe to the oath prescribed by this section. Duffy v. State ex rel. Edson, 60 Neb. 812, 84 N.W. 264 (1900).
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
People who live in cities with gang violence and higher crime rates in lower income areas traditionally vote anti-gun.  Council is no different.  They see the way to end the violence is to outlaw/eliminate firearms.  We're too far down that road for that to ever happen.  They can't get past the last gang shooting, or the occasional accidental discharge and use these issues to support their position. 

Sure, eliminate firearms.  Bad guys will still use em, and when they're all gone they'll use bow and arrows, rocks, silverware, etc. After all, they're bad guys.  I'm sure we can eliminate all those too if certain people interpret the 2nd amendment in a particular way.

There's always going to be dissenting opinions, as we have a senator or two who voted against the bill here in Lincoln, luckily the majority vote on this issue was overwhelming.  That's got to tell you something.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Ernie would pick an anti-2A person to be his successor.  We're just lucky that she's ineffective.  That's a lot better than when Ernie was there.