< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Range "alone-time"?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Range "alone-time"?
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
I'm not sure if there's a standard, unwritten rule, for this sort of thing; but do you go to the range alone? Where I live, the range I belong to is often pretty well deserted. So a lot of the times I go out there, it's just me on the range. The range is about 10 miles outside of town in the country.
I was just wondering what you guys think about the thought of going out to the range in this situation alone. I take my cell phone (obviously) and I'm ordering an IFAK to keep in the FJ, just in case I need to treat a nasty wound. I was just curious. I've seen video and heard stories about guys who are very experienced and end up ventilating their leg or something.
I spend a good amount of time at the range and I always think about this when I'm out there. The kit I'll be ordering includes quick-clot as well as a chest-wound patch. I know it's highly unlikely that it'd be used, but I want to try to be safe.
Thoughts?
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: Range "alone-time"?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
I shoot by myself all the time.  Maybe it's not a good idea but it's difficult to find a range partner with similar time schedules and goals. 

Maybe it's dangerous but then, nobody lives forever.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a standard, unwritten rule, for this sort of thing; but do you go to the range alone? Where I live, the range I belong to is often pretty well deserted. So a lot of the times I go out there, it's just me on the range. The range is about 10 miles outside of town in the country.
I was just wondering what you guys think about the thought of going out to the range in this situation alone. I take my cell phone (obviously) and I'm ordering an IFAK to keep in the FJ, just in case I need to treat a nasty wound. I was just curious. I've seen video and heard stories about guys who are very experienced and end up ventilating their leg or something.
I spend a good amount of time at the range and I always think about this when I'm out there. The kit I'll be ordering includes quick-clot as well as a chest-wound patch. I know it's highly unlikely that it'd be used, but I want to try to be safe.
Thoughts?

Make sure the IFAK has a good commercial tourniquet (CAT/SOFT-T). An IFAK wont do you any good in your truck if you cant get to it in time. It needs to be with you or in your range gear so its close. Make sure you really know how to use everything in it. When you only have a couple minutes left of consciousness isnt the time to be taking your tourniquet out of the package or figuring out how to pack a wound properly.

If Im going out by myself I make sure to tell someone and have a scheduled time to check in or they will know somethings wrong. Read the book "127 Hours" if you think that is over doing it.

I have personally witnessed a number of severe injuries on private and public ranges (not all due to gunshots). Most due to carelessness by an individual that couldnt be stopped, some as simple as tripping and falling onto something sharp. Needing the training and equipment to treat a life threatening injury on a range, on the street or at home may not be as unlikely as you think.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
I prefer going alone. I primarily used an outdoor range with a small pistol pit and dirt piles at 100,200,300, and 400 yards with only 1 bench for all the rifle and 1 bench for pistol. Beats the heck out of crowded indoor ranges where it is a pain collecting your brass (probably why I like revolvers) and allows you to go downrange and swap out targets whenever you want. Only problem I could foresee would be a bad reload would blow up my gun and then I would be on my own with my injuries. I still always kept my guns unloaded when going down range or walking closer to the pistol berm so tripping and discharging would never be a possibility. I also don't like indoor ranges because the concussion from my 500 mag would rock everybody around me, last time I was at the bullet hole there was a guy 3 lanes over who came to see what I was shooting since he could feel the concussion.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
Shooting rifles lessens the danger of shooting yourself :P

Seriously though, my uncle was in this position last year while Walleye fishing.  He wasn't shooting the fish, but he slipped on the rocks and broke his leg.  Late at night and cold as hell meant no sane person was out at the lake that night.  He had to drag himself to the car and drive back to town.

Sometimes that is the risk of doing something you love.  Fishing, motorcycling, shooting.  Life would be boring without some danger.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
I do it most of the time for the same reasons as previously stated.

Make sure the IFAK has a good commercial tourniquet (CAT/SOFT-T). An IFAK wont do you any good in your truck if you cant get to it in time. It needs to be with you or in your range gear so its close. Make sure you really know how to use everything in it. When you only have a couple minutes left of consciousness isnt the time to be taking your tourniquet out of the package or figuring out how to pack a wound properly.

If Im going out by myself I make sure to tell someone and have a scheduled time to check in or they will know somethings wrong. Read the book "127 Hours" if you think that is over doing it.

I have personally witnessed a number of severe injuries on private and public ranges (not all due to gunshots). Most due to carelessness by an individual that couldnt be stopped, some as simple as tripping and falling onto something sharp. Needing the training and equipment to treat a life threatening injury on a range, on the street or at home may not be as unlikely as you think.

- Shawn

+1, any piece of equipment is borderline worthless (or even harmful) if you do not know how to use it properly, but regardless of your level of training or experience in emergency care, and/or if you carry all the contents of a MEV on your back:

I know that the OP mentioned this already, but communication communication communication. Make sure your cell phone works, has a full charge, and has reception on the entire area, (i.e.If you are shooting into a canyon) Keep it on your person, not in your vehicle or on the firing line. It would not hurt to have a backup communication plan, such as check in calls (if you fail to answer or call back then something is wrong) or even a HAM or CB radio, or even a blowhorn ;) It is not to difficult to imagine a scenario where your primary means of communication is disabled (such as a fall) and if you have no real alternate means, your out of luck.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:38:21 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »
I prefer shooting by myself.  Dont have to worry about dumb asses.  You can walk down range at any time.  No waiting for others.   

I also never go down range with out being armed.   

The place doesnt have good cell coverage so I always tell my wife where im going and what time i should be home. 

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Thoughts?

I am usually alone when I go shooting, and about half of the time I am shooting at an SRA or WMA where there aren't a lot of other people around. I also backpack and camp alone, unless you count my dog. Would it be safer to have a buddy along? Yes, of course, and I was very fortunate to have my brother with me when I fell 120 feet in South Carolina and got this trophy (along with two fractured vertebrae, three broken ribs, a 3-day coma, and an expensive helicopter ride):

I carry a cell phone and a pretty substantial first aid/emergency kit (including quikclot, gauze sponges, splint-making materials, space blankets, water, etc.) with me when I am hunting, shooting, or camping to mitigate risk, but there is always going to be more risk of an injury becoming a show-stopper if you are alone.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:55:44 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
I am usually alone when I go shooting, and about half of the time I am shooting at an SRA or WMA where there aren't a lot of other people around. I also backpack and camp alone, unless you count my dog. Would it be safer to have a buddy along? Yes, of course, and I was very fortunate to have my brother with me when I fell 120 feet in South Carolina and got this trophy (along with two fractured vertebrae, three broken ribs, a 3-day coma, and an expensive helicopter ride):

I carry a cell phone and a pretty substantial first aid/emergency kit (including quikclot, gauze sponges, splint-making materials, space blankets, water, etc.) with me when I am hunting, shooting, or camping to mitigate risk, but there is always going to be more risk of an injury becoming a show-stopper if you are alone.

May I be the first here to say "OUCH!!!". That's just nasty.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
And may I be the first to say; Awww! That explains alot about Mr. CitizenClark ;) 

(I kid, I kid)
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:18 AM »
And may I be the first to say; Awww! That explains alot about Mr. CitizenClark ;) 

(I kid, I kid)

:P :P :laugh: :laugh: This kinda looks like it -  :-\

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
I prefer shooting by myself.  Dont have to worry about dumb asses.

Amen.

I don't know how many times I've been shooting, and some idiot walks downrange. No "range clear/cold"; no asking; just walks on down in the middle of someone shooting a string.

I don't care if I was using the rifle lane, and they're just walking to check their target on the pistol lane, it's still $#@!ing stupid!

It's usually someone younger who obviously has no knowledge of range etiquette, but sheesh, I would think common sense would tell you it's a dumb idea.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

(I kid, I kid)

Hey now, I was already like this before my little tumble!

My brother did end up with a premature memorial tattoo on his leg, though. Luckily he didn't get a date put on there. :)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
I prefer the range to be empty as well.  Its good alone time, time for thinking without the interruptions of life and family.  That type of time for me is a rare and cherished thing.  I occasionally take along a friend who also enjoys that type of time as much as I do, but not often.  I like being able to spend two or three hours putting a single box of shells through my rifle, or a mixture of rifle and pistol time.  The relative peace and quiet of an otherwise unoccupied range is worth the 20 minute drive.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX