< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bad news from Margaret Hornady today  (Read 4869 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Bad news from Margaret Hornady today
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
Hornady just responded to the issue on their Facebook page.  To wit:

""This post is in response to those who have recently contacted us regarding Margaret Hornady-David.

Those of you who are familiar with Hornady Manufacturing Company, its management, and Steve and Jason Hornady know that our support of our industry is clear, “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” We love the shooting and hunting sports; insinuation that we would support any other position is wrong. Comments suggesting that we have, should stop; they are ridiculous.

Margaret Hornady-David does not work for Hornady Manufacturing, nor is she an owner of the company.

We actively support and participate in the NRA, the NSSF and numerous other industry organizations. If you question our support of the industry you are welcome to contact them and ask.

The thought that we would support anything opposing the shooting and hunting sports is absurd.""
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
DAVID, DONALD M                   Kerrey, Bob (D)   HORNADY GUN MFG.   $2,500   06/18/12
HORNADY-DAVID, MARGARET J   Kerrey, Bob (D)   RETIRED                   $2,500   06/18/12

This from here: http://www.opensecrets.org/address/contribs.php?zip=68801
But I still question this Don David fella..
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
You guys must of hit a big nerve with Hornady.  This was posted by Hornady on Facebook regarding Margaret.

This post is in response to those who have recently contacted us regarding Margaret Hornady-David.

Those of you who are familiar with Hornady Manufacturing Company, its management, and Steve and Jason Hornady know that our support of our industry is clear, “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” We love the shooting and hunting sports; insinuation that we would support any other position is wrong. Comments suggesting that we have, should stop; they are ridiculous.

Margaret Hornady-David does not work for Hornady Manufacturing, nor is she an owner of the company.

We actively support and participate in the NRA, the NSSF and numerous other industry organizations. If you question our support of the industry you are welcome to contact them and ask.

The thought that we would support anything opposing the shooting and hunting sports is absurd.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
I have used Hornady bullets for handguns...USA made...quality product...expensive...

I have avoided any of their reloading products...presses, tumbler, ultrasonic, powder measure....as the packaging doesn't indicate origin of manufacture and Hornady will not reply to email inquiry over origin of their product. General internet opinion is that the reloading products are made in China...which I will not buy if a USA product is available.

Sorry to open this can of worms...but what the heck.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
But I still question this Don David fella..

She may not be employed by them anymore, but he is.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
What does everyone think about their response? I'm not feeling any better.... :(

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
In spite of the responses given by current Hornady management, this is direct from their website....

"In January 1981, along with engineer Edward Heers and customer service manager Jim Garber, Joyce Hornady was killed when the company plane they were flying crashed en route to the SHOT Show in New Orleans. The linchpin of the company was suddenly gone. The company's founder, visionary, spokesman, leader, and strategist was tragically killed.

The family needed to regroup, and so it did. Steve Hornady became President and sister, Margaret Hornady - David and her husband Don became Vice President and Chief Engineer respectively. Don retired in the early 2000's and Margaret in 2009."

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
What does everyone think about their response? I'm not feeling any better.... :(

While I think that they are being a bit disingenuous, I also think we need to recognize that Hornady Manufacturing can not be held totally responsible for whatever a past employee might say or do.

I know how I would react if my former employer tried to stifle any of my current political endeavors.

We ( the NFOA ) also need all the help we can get, and Hornady Manufacturing could be a huge ally to the NFOA, or they could as well become a foe
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Evidently, their former employees still like to use their ex-titles?

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »
Evidently, their former employees still like to use their ex-titles?

Kinda what I was wondering too.

IF they are retired then I guess you can't hold the company responsible for idiots outside their control. And goodness knows in-laws can be......problematic. Still the 'response' was less then stellar. After a number of similar episodes in the last few years you'd think Hornady would have figured that out.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 02:46:49 AM »
If they want my business back they need to make a $5,000.00 donation to Deb Fischer's campaign - or to the NFOA-PAF to offset the damage done by their family / former execs. I've emailed that suggestion to them, certainly they can afford it. The response I got via email was equally lame.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »
Steve is now trying to distance himself from his sister and her husband. I don't blame him, but I'm here to tell you, none of them ever got rich working a cash register at Wal Mart!

I agree, they at least need to make a donation to the Republican gun rights supporter Deb Fisher running against Kerrey of $5,000 in Steve's name. It's not like they can't afford it.

Hornady does make the best stuff, but if Kerrey is elected, it would be his wish to close them up or make them a government producer only.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »
Originally Posted By HornadyMfg: For the record. Our President & CEO is Steve Hornady. Vice President is Jason Hornady.

Margaret Hornady retired in 2009, Don David retired in the early 2000’s. Neither are currently owners/shareholders.

Websites listing our corporate structure are apparently out of date and not something we spend time updating. Hornady is a private company.   

This was Hornady's response on Arfcom.  Guess they should have kept their website up to date.  Knowing this I can't hold the company responsible and I will.continue to purchase their products, although with reservations because of their refusal to support the NFOA. 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.php?name=hornady&state=&zip=68801&employ=&cand=&c2012=Y&sort=N&capcode=mzfcj&submit=Submit+your+Donor+Query

Jason Hornady did donate $1,000 to Deb Fisher.

This is the second time Margaret has donated to Kerrey... And she donated money to a Pro-Choice group. Just sickening...

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
their response is ok.  i just wish they would support the NFOA.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Their response is what was expected. But it should have never come to damage control in the first place. These are supposed to be, and I'm sure they are, extremely intelligent people. It's just that some things have gotten away from them more than likely because times have always been good. Now what they need to do is scavenge the internet to find out what things need updated and take care of it.

Still, what Margaret did in public, and her husband donated in the name of the company is unacceptable behavior and should not be allowed by a private company. Even if they are not "affiliated" with the company, they still have the reputation of being a major part of it.

Hopefully they will take more care in the future and things will continue to be good, while I am less than happy with the reply, I will take it for what it is meant to be.

I do not apologize for what I have done, but I will no longer use it against Hornady.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
We ( the NFOA ) also need all the help we can get, and Hornady Manufacturing could be a huge ally to the NFOA, or they could as well become a foe

Frightfully strong words, Dan  :-\
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
At the request of the OP this thread is now closed
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.