< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Starting to get into Kydex  (Read 9827 times)

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
Starting to get into Kydex
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
After being frustrated by holster wait times (it took 14 weeks for my "Hooker" holster from Alabama Holster Company!), lack of availability for certain models, and high prices, I decided to start making my own.  I ended up with some sub-par results with my first holster, but I've improved my process and the quality seems to be at least close to the more famous manufacturers.  Here's a little example of my most recent work for my Glock 19, and some mag pouches for it as well:

If you're interested in having me make you a holster, send me a PM and we can set something up.  I could possibly replicate some of the models of well known companies... My starting price is going to be $50, unless the holster is ridiculously easy/hard to make.  The kicker is, I'll need to borrow the firearm/magazine for a couple hours since I don't own blue guns.  Currently I'm living in Waverly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:01:54 PM by lneuke »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Starting to get into Kydex
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
Where ya located ?  Try to be semi specific, some towns are huge :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Where ya located ?  Try to be semi specific, some towns are huge :)

Probably should have mentioned that  :laugh:

I'm located in Waverly

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
Here's a few more I've made recently:

Glock 23 holster, requested medium sweat guard, J-hooks for IWB carry, and lower retention force

Magazine pouch for same Glock 23 customer, OWB loops

Baby DE Fast Action, high sweat guard, soft loops for IWB carry, and high retention force

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
pm sent....

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »
Baby DE Fast Action, high sweat guard, soft loops for IWB carry, and high retention force

Hmm, that looks like a Walther P99 or PPQ to me...

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
I'm sorry, but every time I see the heading, my mind heads for the gutter and reads latex.....

I have a co-work who recently started carrying and is looking for a different kind of holster for a Bersa Thunder, I will send him here to see your stuff.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
Hmm, that looks like a Walther P99 or PPQ to me...
It is essentially an exact clone of the Walther P99, 15 rd with the AS trigger.  The frame on the Baby DE is in fact made by Walther, and the magazines are interchangeable as well.

I'm sorry, but every time I see the heading, my mind heads for the gutter and reads latex.....

I have a co-work who recently started carrying and is looking for a different kind of holster for a Bersa Thunder, I will send him here to see your stuff.

Much appreciated!  I can attempt to duplicate other styles/brands of holsters as well, if he has one in mind. 

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
PM sent.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
It is essentially an exact clone of the Walther P99, 15 rd with the AS trigger.  The frame on the Baby DE is in fact made by Walther, and the magazines are interchangeable as well.

Ahh, I see. I didn't realize Magnum Research had brought out a new version. The old "Baby Desert Eagle" pistol was a clunkier, all-steel pistol like this:

As an SW99 owner, I approve!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
Ahh, I see. I didn't realize Magnum Research had brought out a new version.

Actually, upon further research, the pistol pictured in the original poster's messages is called the "MR9 Eagle." The "Baby Desert Eagle," now called the "Baby Desert Eagle II," is the all steel pistol that I posted an image of.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
Actually, upon further research, the pistol pictured in the original poster's messages is called the "MR9 Eagle." The "Baby Desert Eagle," now called the "Baby Desert Eagle II," is the all steel pistol that I posted an image of.

That's interesting...the MR9 must be a new name update or something to clear the confusion.  At least, I'm assuming they are identical.  The model I posted in the picture is a "Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle Fast Action", it even says Baby Desert Eagle on the slide, unlike the MR9.  It also has a trigger that is identical to the "Anti Stress" or AS trigger on a P99 which they call the "Fast  Action" in the Baby DE. 
This took a while for me to figure out, I have no idea why they decided to name it the same as a previous product that doesn't share a single feature.  It made finding a holster for very difficult, which is why I made one. 

Here's a picture of that same gun without the holster:

All the confusion set aside, that Fast Action trigger is really something.  It's very light in single action mode, and the reset is incredibly short!  Makes for very easy and accurate shooting.  I'm almost positive I've shot 1911s with worse triggers...

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
That's interesting...the MR9 must be a new name update or something to clear the confusion.  At least, I'm assuming they are identical.  The model I posted in the picture is a "Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle Fast Action", it even says Baby Desert Eagle on the slide, unlike the MR9.

Wow, nothing like generating a little consumer confusion about your brand, huh? Weird.

It also has a trigger that is identical to the "Anti Stress" or AS trigger on a P99 which they call the "Fast  Action" in the Baby DE.

I don't know if/how this differs from the DA/SA trigger on my SW99, but the SW99 is a sweet shooter.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
The frame features look almost identical to the SW99...it looks to be made by Walther as well, with slightly different aesthetics.  That's interesting, it seems Walther must have sold that frame to just about everyone  :laugh: I've seen a few other models that have that similar looking frame with a DA/SA striker fire, but they were brands that I've never heard about before. 

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »
Newest holsters:
Sig Mosquito holster, OWB loops, .08" Kydex, eyelets spaced every 0.5" for adjustable ride height, low sweat guard, medium-low retention, similar in style to a Bravo Concealment holster. 
Double magazine pouch for Sig Mosquito.  Eyelets spaced every 0.5" for adjustments, OWB loops, medium-low retention, slots molded in to allow for easy insertion of a partially loaded magazine.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
These are definitely looking above and beyond top notch!

Keep up the awesome work!
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Here's an interesting holster I made over the weekend...Glock 19, high sweat guard, medium retention, OWB loops for 1.5" belt, 0.08 kydex

Oh yea, and the G19 has a knife attachment

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
Lol love the pistol bayonet! Nice work brother...i'll be getting ahold of ya in the future...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
The first thing my wife said when she saw me with the pistol/bayonet was "What the HELL is that...."  :laugh:

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »
"It's a close quarters tactical device, honey"

LOL
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.