< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Please take that second look...  (Read 1031 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Please take that second look...
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
As some of you may know, i was involved in a motorcycle accident last friday, the 28th. The driver claimed that he could not see me, so he turned in front of me. Some of you are friends with me on Facebook, but i wanted to share this with all of you, as i know many of you are riders as well.

Without the gear I was wearing, things would have been much worse, but I came out of it with a broken wrist, ankle, and a handful of bruises and road rash.

So please, just remember that if you are driving, and the sun is blinding you, take a second look just to be sure that no one is coming.

And since i know y'all love pics:) here's whats left of my baby.

It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Please take that second look...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
glad you're ok!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
When I was riding (back in the day) I used to have people turn in front of my Goldwing on West O street all the time. That was in the era before all this texting and smart phone distraction started. I used a special headlamp modulator called the "Q switch" that effectively made my headlamp flash at oncoming traffic, and after that the close calls where drastically reduced.

I would expect that now with drivers looking down at smart phones and GPS screens instead of scanning the road that the problem is much worse
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
Sorry you got banged up, glad it wasn't worse.

Bikes are cool & all- but I am afraid to ride one for just this reason. You can do everything right and some other schmuck ruins your day. Fender bender in a car can = orthopedic surgery on a cycle.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Umm.....did this happen at about 29th & O street?  I noticed traffic backed up there and a motorcycle that looked an awful lot like that being lifted onto a wrecker.

I used to ride almost every day, but sold my bikes around the time I got married 11 years ago.  Riding in town always made me nervous, too many close calls.  I've been thinking of buying a bike again but mainly for tooling down the highway.  When I was 17 I had a pretty nasty wreck and if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I probably wouldn't be here today.  I don't understand people who insist on riding without a helmet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:18:28 PM by bkoenig »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Yes brian it happened at 31rst an O street, friday bout 1830. What you saw was probably what was left of my bike.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.