< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hello, Newb here with CCW question.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
Hello, Newb here with CCW question.
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Hello friends. Long time shooter/hunter that just applied to get my CCW permit today!

I applied at the Grand Island office which is Troop C.  Has anyone recently applied for and received a permit from the GI office?

Do all the permits get forwarded to the Lincoln office for review or do each of the troop buildings do their permits in house?

I was just curious as to what the turn around time was on a permit right now.

The lady at the SP building told me it was going to take 12 weeks!!!! :o

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
Re: Hello, Newb here with CCW question.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
They all get sent to the lincoln criminal investigation office.   I think thats the name of it.  Not sure of wait time. 

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
Hello, and welcome.  They have 45 calender days to do all the work they need to do and get you your permit if they determine you are eligible.  If they don't get all of the things they need to do done in 45 calender days they are suppose to issue you a permit which they may cancel if they find you un-eligible to hold a permit.  I didn't apply in GI, I applied in Omaha and it took 30 some days, that was this spring.  I'm not sure that it would be any different in GI if all the work is done in Lincoln.  Maybe someone else can give more insight on this. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
Yes everything is done in Lincoln, and there was a problem earlier this year with staffing that put them behind in issuing permits.  The good news is that has been fixed now and permits are being delivered in under the 45 day time limit.  How long will it actually be, I have heard from folks that is has only been a few of weeks (3-4) and some were it took a little longer. 

Also congratulations on getting to this point, it's now just the wait and planing that first carry experience.  Could someone post the Walmart walk for Smitty so he has a plan to start from.

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Yes everything is done in Lincoln, and there was a problem earlier this year with staffing that put them behind in issuing permits.  The good news is that has been fixed now and permits are being delivered in under the 45 day time limit.  How long will it actually be, I have heard from folks that is has only been a few of weeks (3-4) and some were it took a little longer. 

Also congratulations on getting to this point, it's now just the wait and planing that first carry experience.  Could someone post the Walmart walk for Smitty so he has a plan to start from.

Walmart walk??

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Here you go...

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
HA!

Thats great, I'm gonna have to make a trip to walmart in the near future. (80 miles away)

Looks as if I have unknowingly done the walmart walk unarmed once or twice already. :D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
The wife and I got ours going to GI in march 09, it took 8 weeks for hers and one day more for mine then. Won't take that long now from what is being spread around.

I have a feeling renewals are going to take a little while soon as the first wave hits.

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
The wife and I got ours going to GI in march 09, it took 8 weeks for hers and one day more for mine then. Won't take that long now from what is being spread around.

I have a feeling renewals are going to take a little while soon as the first wave hits.

Yea, you got thrown in that giant wave of people that applied first.

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »
I'm starting to get a bit antsy...........Today is 4 weeks. I know its not 45 days yet but I was hoping that it wouldn't take the full amount of time or over that.

Some have said 3-4 weeks..............maybe by the end of the week, just maybe  :(

I keep asking my wife if there is anything in the mail for me. She tells me no, why? You waiting for something?

I'm like a flippen 10 year old boy waiting for his birthday, checking the mail everyday!

I even went ahead and ordered me a custom made holster.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »
Smitty81

If your wait time hits over 45 days, then call the nice ladies at the NE State Patrol Criminal Investigation Division in Lincoln and tell them that fact.

Then request that your license be issued immediately in accordance with the law, which is clearly your right.

The ladies will usually respond with a counteroffer, something like, "We'll move your application to the top of the pile." 

Make sure they have your name, etc.    And be nice.   These ladies are Worker Bees, not the Drones.   They don't make the rules, hire the help, whatever.  They can't help it if the CID office is understaffed.   But they probably sure can screw you over if you mess with them.   [Hint:  No application is ever perfect.]

So try that approach if receipt of your CHP runs overtime.

Worked for most folks last spring.   Including my own renewal.   Which shoulda took 5 days; actually took 58.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:14:30 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline smitty81

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:46 PM »
Smitty81

If your wait time hits over 45 days, then call the nice ladies at the NE State Patrol Criminal Investigation Division in Lincoln and tell them that fact.

Then request that your license be issued immediately in accordance with the law, which is clearly your right.

The ladies will usually respond with a counteroffer, something like, "We'll move your application to the top of the pile." 

Make sure they have your name, etc.    And be nice.   These ladies are Worker Bees, not the Drones.   They don't make the rules, hire the help, whatever.  They can't help it if the CID office is understaffed.   But they probably sure can screw you over if you mess with them.   [Hint:  No application is ever perfect.]

So try that approach if receipt of your CHP runs overtime.

Worked for most folks last spring.   Including my own renewal.   Which shoulda took 5 days; actually took 58.

sfg

A lot of people told me to ask if I could pick it up at the 45 day mark. They were allowing people to come and get them immediatly if they had reached the 45 day mark.

I will be in actually be in Lincoln on the 45th day.