< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking into a new centerfire rifle  (Read 1498 times)

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
Looking into a new centerfire rifle
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Looking for some feedback on what everyone else likes for their hunting rifle. I had to retire my Savage 99 in 243 win earlier this year and after looking around a little bit it seems that the options are endless. Tell me what you like and why

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Looking into a new centerfire rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Just curious, what was wrong with the Savage?  Model 99's are worth enough money that it may be worth taking to a gunsmith.

Of course, you'll still need to buy another gun to use while it's in the shop  ;D.  I think the Savage 10/12/110 series is hard to beat for the money.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
I love my TC Venture with weathershield in .308. Weight with a 3-9x40 is very manageable, I like the trigger a lot, shot a 3 shot group using 150gr Hornady Interlocks w/out boattail (B.C. of .338) and covered it with a dime at 100 yards, and on top of it all it only cost me about $450. Any factory rifle nowadays should be satisfactory in the accuracy department for hunting. But what really matters is how it feels in your hand. Get your hand on as many as possible and you will probably be proud of whatever you buy.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
Hard to give a good answer without knowing what you're hunting and the distances you can expect to shoot at.
My choice was a Remington 700BDL in .30-06. That's not to say it would be the best choice for you.
It may not have been the best choice for me. It was a fair compromise considering I wasn't sure how many different kinds of game I'd eventually hunt with it.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
I plan on getting the good ol savage fixed, it has a headspacing issue.  When the wife asked if i was going to do any hunting this year and i said probably not with all the all the time i have taken off work for house remodeling and the rifle needs some work i got " Maybe its time for you to get a new one." :o I have never heard those  beautiful words out of her mouth before and i dont know when i will hear them agian so i figure i better take advantage. Its primary purpose will probably be deer hunting

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
Tons of good rifles out there.  (For example, I have a Rem 700 in .308 that has been "adjusted" a bit and I like it a lot.)  That all being said, for a solid deer rifle, I love my Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06.

Put some good glass on it, and it is amazing.  Great trigger (adjustable), excellent smooth action, blah blah blah great rifle.  :)

I've got a left-handed one, and my wife has a right-handed one.  We both think they are great.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
Tikka T3 in 30-06. Mine is a lite stainless, and I've taken everything from coyotes to elk with it. The value and versatility is really hard to beat for a factory rifle. I really can't say enough good things about it.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
I also think a Savage would be hard to beat. I have a 110 in .270 that is a very accurate, no nonsense rifle. Also, have a Mossberg ATR .243 that was an inexpensive package rifle that has worked fine for me. Couple others  I have experience with Ruger GSR .308 is pretty cool, if slightly non-traditional, and Rem 700 that is boringly steady. Finally,  never shot one but the Ruger American has received pretty good reviews and is cheap- I guess that is a theme with me!

You can also put together an AR (6.8, 6.5, .300 Blk, etc) for pretty cheap and customize it just how you like.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-RECON_ep_93-1.html

Nice little hunting/home-defense rifle      ;D

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Thanks for your input guys hopefully in the next few weeks i get a chance to go out shopping and that 308 recon is a really pertty rifle

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
I have a Savage 116 in 30.06 topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. It's an easy gun to shoot accurately in part because of the accu-trigger.