< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger SP101  (Read 4992 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Ruger SP101
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »
Anyone own a Ruger SP101 in .357?  I looked at one the other day...... solid feeling gun...... only 5 shots though....... 4 reloads for a typical IDPA stage at TBH...........thoughts?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Ruger SP101
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
Jim I have one and am happy with it.Still getting used to it. I had some problems with the front site. I couldnt see it very well. Had to paint it and looks good now. Recoil is about the same as my M&P 45.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
If this is going to be exclusively for IDPA, why not step up to a GP-100 or S&W K-Frame?
NRA Life Member.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »
I have thought about the K frame..... Marco the Munchkin Wrangler speaks well of his Model 13......... Problem is, they don't make them anymore.

The sp101 is heavy enough.... A GP100 would be moreso (can you get a GP100 with a 3" barrel?  If you could, I'd buy it!).... I have a Colt Trooper (6"), which I like- it's just to big for CCW.  As for an "IDPA only" gun, the main reason I shoot IDPA is to practice a little with my carry guns. (The other reason is it is fun to shoot stuff.)
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
The 686 (L-Frame) is available w/ a 2 1/2" barrel, as is the new 315 Night Guard. 

I also found this thread about snub-nose K-frames:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=242068

A snub Model 10 or 66 would be pretty nice.

There's also the Colt Detective Special and Cobra, which are close to K-frames in size (my Cobra uses K-frame speedloaders).  However, given the increasing rarity and price of them, they may not be the best choice for IDPA.  Colt gunsmiths are also becoming rare.

It's a shame, because I *really* like my Cobra.  It's more accurate than me and quite light.  I use it as a pocket carry gun with a Mika holster and Remington 158gr LSWC. 

Taurus has their new 856, a 6-shot .38 J-frame snub.  Why S&W doesn't do something similar is beyond me.  (Yes, I'm one of those freaks that loves that sixth shot K-frames and DSs have.)
NRA Life Member.

Offline gun dog

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
I own one and like it very much for a CCW.  I had some work done to it by Cylinder & Slide, ported it to tame the full loads down some.  I carry 2 speed loaders for a total of 15 rounds.  It's small and not that heavy.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »
Well..... I have mtncrash's 101 now.   Have not shot it yet.  I need an IWB holster for it...... the OWB hosters I got with it are RIDCULOUSLY comfortable, but the gun does not ride close enough to my body and prints badly if I bend at the waist.  Anybody recomend one?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
Gun dog- do you carry IWB? What holster?  I have a couple of OWB that I got with the gun and really like one of them (Binachi 105, sz 1) ..... the other (Bianchi #5BHL) needs a stiffer belt than what I have, as the whole rig flops if I run or jump.

I shot the 101 over the Chrony today, 158gr handloads and 125 grain Golden Sabres.......

..... DA trigger is stiffer than my Colt and I am not as accurate with it as I am with the Colt, either DA or SA.  SA, I shot much better (Duh, I'm a 1911 guy....).

.... the shorter barrel lost an average of around 60 f/sec with both the 158 grain handloads and the 125 grain Golden Sabres.

...... recoil was suprisingly manageable- not appreciably worse than the 6" barreled Colt.  It did not seem any louder, either.  Then again, those are my subjective observations: YMMV.

Offline Nick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »
JimP, I know this topic is a little old but I see there is no response here to your IWB question.

I have a .357 DAO (spurless) SP101, 2.25". My IWB holster is a High Noon Tailgate. Expensive ($105) but nice holster. Very stable and comfortable open-top with excellent adjustable draw/retention. They have a long wait time when you order, though, since they make their leather holsters "on demand". They advertise 3-month wait for their IWB's. Mine took about that long to arrive.

Now that the weather is getting colder, I'm looking for a good leather OWB for it. I have a Bianchi 105 Sz 1 but can only carry my .38 SP101 (also 2.25") in it since the retention doesn't work with a spurless hammer. High Noon appears to have some nice ones but they are also pricey and there's a 6-month(!) lead time on their leather OWB's.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:12:47 AM »
Yes, there is a GP100 in 3" but hard to find.  I past one up last year at Fremont for $350. :'(  I have a 4" GP and I like it a lot.  Well balanced and feels good in a mid sized or large hand.  A SP101 in 327 Fed. would be cool but the ammo not cheap.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »
JimP, I know this topic is a little old but I see there is no response here to your IWB question.

....learning stuff about guns never gets old.

A SP101 in 327 Fed. would be cool but the ammo not cheap.

Ah,  but I handload, so once the initial expenses (dies, brass, and a generous supply of boolets) are taken care of, no worries.   Other than having to stock yet another caliber.........

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
Your 100% right JimP it is hard to start a new caliber.  If this one does not take off it will remain expensive.  I too like to go out and get all the reloading stuff too but its expensive also as you know.  It is hard to beet the common calibers anyhow. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Well, I shot the 101 extensively on New Year's Eve...... After 2 boxes of my handloads (158 XTPs atop 14.5 gr of 2400, WSP primer) , my brother dubbed it "Lil' Nasty".  It is not exactly comfy to shoot with the stock grips......plenty accurate, both single and double action.  I'll keep it.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Hey JimP, I pick one up and have not shot it yet.  It is a 3 1/16 with a hammer.  I will use it for a back up.  Not a second one but one I will have instead of another.  Thanks for the report looking to give it a try. 

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
Yeah, an old thread but WTH...   Ruger sp101 is a solid handgun.  I love mine, I have to fight over it with my wife tho...  :-)
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Surprised I didn't see this sooner.  I've been toting a 3" 101 daily for about 2 yrs.  It immediately got a meprolight FS.  Comp Tac IWB holster and Badger grips make it disappear.  Wolf makes an easy to change mainspring that has been reliable with a variety of ammos and eases the trigger pull.  Have meant to chop the spur but have not got around to it....
I shot a USPSA style course with it last year using some nuclear hot .357 loads.  It really woke up the new RO.  He asked "you carry that thing???"   :o
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline billzz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
I have one that I have fired over 10000 times
I know because I've kept track of how many 1000 count boxes of bullets I have loaded.
wonderful weapon
I did upgrade the springs with a Wolff kit

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
billzz- do you carry it?

If so, what holster?

Offline billzz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
i just use a cheapo uncle mikes type CLIP-ON holster
since the move i cant find my armpit holster that i love.
it was a gift so i dont know who made it.