< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sen. Ashford's Gun Legislation  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Sen. Ashford's Gun Legislation
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Hey, after a week of misery, I can sit at the computer this morning long enough to type something without having to stop mid sentence to run to the bathroom!  ;D Uggh, I hate being sick!

Jim is right, this monster is not an imaginary one hiding in our closets or under our beds. It is as real as you and I, and it has an appetite for our rights. When I was a kid, I was afraid of monsters and preferred to hide under the covers when confronted with one.

Guess what, I'm not a kid anymore, and there will be no more hiding under the sheets.

Offline Hobbessti

• Who Dares, Wins.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
Lets all keep our fingers crossed. Does anyone know where the Gov stands on this bill??

1hickey

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
He's ex military and generally pretty level headed, but after the vote on the smoking ban, I'm starting to wonder.... ???

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
Word from the floor is that this bill is not heavily supported and the senators are feeling the heat from the gunnies.

Which is good.

But we can't let up know. As Jay wisely recommends, keep it polite and civil. Let the antis be the raging emo-heads.

As for the Guv, he's pretty good on gun issues. A friend who used to be the press sec has tried to assure me the Guv is on our side.

But we cannot depend on the pols. We need to act and act now.

If any of you get a response from a senator, please let me know. I have a scorecard up at The Shack and want to keep it fresh. There are a few friendlies on the floor looking to we the gunnies for their intel.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
I saw this at Lady Tamara's today, and it reminded me of the Judiciary Comittee Hearings, where in answer to all our complaints about the bill,  the Comittee basically said "Do you suggest we do NOTHING?"....... My answer is : "No, I suggest you get out of the way and stop hindering those who would take care of their own security."  Tam quotes Henry David Thoreau:

"I'll leave you with a quote from noted hardcore conservative thinker, Hank Thoreau: "

"Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of its way. It does not keep the country free. It does not settle the West. It does not educate. The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way. For government is an expedient, by which men would fain succeed in letting one another alone; and, as has been said, when it is most expedient, the governed are most let alone by it. Trade and commerce, if they were not made of india-rubber, would never manage to bounce over obstacles which legislators are continually putting in their way; and if one were to judge these men wholly by the effects of their actions and not partly by their intentions, they would deserve to be classed and punished with those mischievous persons who put obstructions on the railroads.""

Ashford's intentions may well be GOOD intentions. That said, I'll remind you to take a gander at the paving material specifications of the Road to Hell................. the effects of this bill are not a GOOD THING, regardless of the intentions.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Hobbessti

• Who Dares, Wins.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
There is another new revision to Ashfords bill.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 07:16:15 PM »
yep, check out the latest over at Joe's Crabby Shack

http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
The danger with the latest amendment (AM2235) is that the bill looks more acceptable. Basically, it's a return to the original bill just using an already established (and anti-gun) panel.

But, it's an anti-crime bill now. Who wants to vote against an anti-crime bill?

Word from the floor is that there is still little support, but this bill is a little more palatable to the neutrals.

In other words... Don't hesitate to make your voice heard. Call, write, or e-mail today.

There is a chance this is debated today... tomorrow almost certainly. DON'T WAIT!!

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »
Changes made, again, First round approval, NRA apparently drops opposition, Assford comes out looking like a hero, it is taking every ounce of strength I have right now to not say what I want to say. I want to study this a bit more to make sure I know what I am talking about before I blow up publicly, but my first impression is that we all just got thrown under the bus.

Why in the hell do we keep compromising ourselves right into oblivion?

What happens when the NICS is "down"?

Why do we want the government tracking our purchases?

I must be missing something, but for the life of me I can't figure out why dropping the purchase permit in exchange for having to complete an NICS check on every purchase was such a big deal to the NRA?

I am really confused here, folks. Really worried, and really confused.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:44:11 PM by Jay »

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
Well, I've pretty much made up my mind now that this is BAD news. We had a decisive victory in our sights and at the end of the day today we walked away with a LOSS. **** the NRA for once again ****ting on us and basically allowing this to happen. The suspension of the purchase permit in exchange for a NICS check is a BAD move, and unbelievably that change was the whole bargaining chip that the NRA said would move them to cease opposition to Assford's bill. We need to take action NOW, folks. Take the morning off tomorrow if you have to and contact your reps. Don't give Asshat this victory! I'll leave you with some questions I posed over at Joe's...

Why do we keep compromising ourselves into the ground? Why do we want to have to rely on a computer system run by and monitored by our government to be able to purchase a firearm? Why is that any better than a once every three years purchase permit? Why do we negotiate with the biggest enemy of law abiding firearm owners in the state when we very well may have had enough support to flat out knock his bill on its ass and send a definitive message to him and anyone else thinking about trying a similar stunt that we are FINISHED giving away our rights? Why does the NRA want to give in and make this knothead look like a hero in front of all of Nebraska by letting him take credit for "finding common ground"? Do you really believe Assford really gives a flying crap about my rights? About YOUR rights? Why do we want to send the message that firearms ARE part of the problem and we as gun owners need the crime commission to look at gun violence? When are we going to say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" and start fighting to win back our rights that we have let get widdled away instead of continuing to make unnecessary compromises with people whos ultimate goal is the complete elimination of legally owned firearms in our country? How can we ever expect to win this war when we are content with battles that end in draws because our mentality is that at least it was not a defeat?

March 12, 2008 6:29 PM

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »
Aaaaand speaking of Joe's...

I need all of you to pop over to The Shack and post your answer to this question:

Would you be willing to keep the purchase permit system if it meant the end for LB958?

There are several lawmakers watching that post. If we can assure them that A LOT OF US disagree with the National Rat-Bastard Association, we can maybe get back the five votes that promised to kill LB958.

I think the confusion of the last minute flip-flop on LB958 by Mr. Jordon Austin of the NRA, may have caused the switch.

Anyway, don't reply here, as the politicos are watching the IMPORTANT QUESTION post at The Shack.

Thanks for your answer, Jay. I was unclear on your position.... :)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
The thing to keep in mind is that the Nebraska Legislature is a UNICAMERAL . There is only one body, a "senate" apportioned based on population, the only one of its kind- even Maine realized it was a BAD THING. Also, these people are only in session a very short time.  Things happen very fast, if at all. Note the sneaky underhanded way CCW got banned from Universities last fall.....this Gun Crime Commission would be a de-facto anti-gun platform that would generate legislation EVERY two years. It would not be subject to term limits as the Antis on the Judiciary Committee ARE.  We couldn't even vote them out of office if they pissed us off, as they are POLITICAL  APPOINTEES! If we get an anti for a Governor (We've had Democrats as Governor, Ashford is a Republican, hell it COULD happen!) then you would have an assault weapons bill, sure as shootin'.

I replied here, Joe's, ccwne, Snowflakes in Hell, ............. spread the word: Kill the Bill.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
Just bringing this old thread back up to remind everyone of Assford's tactics.

Trying to "do something" that doesn't really do anything to fix the original problem.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
He's back at it... I just heard on KETV that he wants to introduce storage legislation that would penalize the parent if the child took a gun and committed a criminal act... I'm not sure on everything said I just heard it in passing while I was doing something else... He needs to be out and out soon...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I found this on the LJS site...
http://journalstar.com/news/unicameral/article_da1e976c-d2af-5c34-8ac6-c0e79617f212.html

"It's easy ... to get those guns secured," said Ashford, chairman of the Judiciary Committee. "It's adult responsibility. I'm all for gun training and the right to carry a concealed weapon ...

"I'm all for gun training and the right to carry a concealed weapon...."  

Horsefeathers.  Your voting record says different, Asshford.  What your voting record says to me is that it is the Government's job to DO SOMETHING every time something happens.  Why you are a Republican and seem to think More Government is the answer to every problem is my question to you, Sir!  The Republican Party says it is the Party of Reagan: How is your voting record supporting a platform of Limited Government and Personal Responsibility?  

Singing to the choir here....... how bout all the choir members here, regardless of political party affiliation, email the Nebraska Republican Party  and point this RINO out?

From the Nebrasaka Republican Party Constitution:

The NEBRASKA REPUBLICAN PARTY emphasizes its belief in personal responsibility and limited government interference in the lives of our citizens.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:53:42 AM by JimP »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
You can't fix crazy, and charging somebody else for the actions of another ( crazy) person won't stop the bloodshed.

All this law will do is add expense and liability to owning a gun.  Ashford knows this, but that suits him just fine: it fits in with his voting record. Watch what he DOES, not what he SAYS.   What he does is attempt to expand the size of Government, and attempt to discourage the excercise of the 2nd Amendment.  Smaller Government and Personal Responsibility my fuzzy butt!

Email the GOP at info@negop.org

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
Question: Is it not already a (federal?) law that you can't supply a handgun gun to a minor?

If so, isn't Asshford just making another feel good, DO SOMETHING! show after another tradgedy( Shocking, isn't it? :dink:).

Kids can't legally own a gun. The law he proposes won't apply to a gun that was stolen: if it was taken without permission, it was in fact stolen. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
My letter to the NE GOP:

It has come to my attention that Sen. Brad Ashford is once again feeling compelled to "DO SOMETHING!" in the wake of another shooting. 

http://journalstar.com/news/unicameral/article_da1e976c-d2af-5c34-8ac6-c0e79617f212.html

This is nothing more than a feel good measure: it would not apply to stolen guns, and any gun taken without permission is a stolen gun.  It is more useless clutter and does not square well with the NE Republican Party Constitution, which says,

" The NEBRASKA REPUBLICAN PARTY emphasizes its belief in personal responsibility and limited government interference in the lives of our citizens. "

Civil liability and existing laws (applied equitably) should do more than enough to encourage people to secure their firearms from someone who would not use it responsibly.  You can not legislate common sense, yet here Sen. Ashford is at it again, piling on more laws in a vain attempt to "DO SOMETHING!" .....

I ask you: How does this promote Less Government?  Personal responsibility?  I would not vote for this guy if Steve Achepol or Tom White were running against him: I'm tired of choosing the lesser of two evils!  You saw what happened when a RINO ran on a national level in '08.  Keep supporting him at your peril.

Who's next?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:10:39 AM by JimP »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »
Horsefeathers.  Your voting record says different, Asshford.  What your voting record says to me is that it is the Government's job to DO SOMETHING every time something happens.  Why you are a Republican and seem to think More Government is the answer to every problem is my question to you, Sir!  The Republican Party says it is the Party of Reagan: How is your voting record supporting a platform of Limited Government and Personal Responsibility?

Well, JimP: Ashford was a Democrat just a few months before the election. He switched from Democrat to Republican I think sometime in the summer. This should explain why he does what he does. Switching parties has of course not changed his long held personal messed up worldview. Plus he ran unopposed this election so we are stuck with him for now.