< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OPD talks about carrying weapons in Omaha... wow.  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Re: OPD talks about carrying weapons in Omaha... wow.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »
Lincoln has changed its requirement and will not force the registration of handguns sold to a valid CHP holder. But all other buyers of handguns must sign a registration card that the Lincoln FFL fills out to report the sale to LPD
And if it wasn't purchased in Lincoln and I live in Waverly?  Must it be registered?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
If the transaction took place outside Lincoln city limits, then there is no jurisdiction for Lincoln to enforce any ordinance.  :P

Here is the ordinance

9.36.030 Report of Sale of Firearms.
Any person, firm, association, or corporation dealing in firearms of any type shall, on the same day of the sale of any firearm, except a shotgun or a rifle of a type commonly used for hunting, report the sale to the Police Department on forms as prescribed and furnished by the Police Department. The report shall contain all the information requested thereon. (Ord. 15625 §3; July
9, 1990: P.C. §9.28.025: Ord. 15443 §1; February 20, 1990: prior Ord. 7936 §1; December 26,
1962).

Here is a link to Lincoln Municipal Codes
http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/contents.htm#05

This link is to the Lincoln Municipal code Title 9 section 9.36 = Weapons
http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti09/ch936.pdf

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »
A reply to Wilson (1)   I would like to add my experience with a contact with a LEO.   I always drive in a manner to eliminate any contact with LEO also.  However,  I was stopped by a NSP on a county road for a simple vehicle inspection,  all vehicles were being stopped. No problems arose.  My point here is that no matter how law abiding you may conduct your driving, sooner or later you will experience some type of contact.  Hope when it happens you meet as courteous an officer as I did. :D
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
To Poor Man: I have been stopped by Sarpy County Sheriff and it was a very pleasant experience...a non event. Many LEOs are happy to have us out there.  :D

You are right though...someday it will happen. I hope it isn't in Omaha!   :'(

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
I think it is a good thing that OPD is actually reaching out and TRYING to give information to law abiding citizens and to answer the many questions that come up.

Yes it is unfortunate there is some inaccurate information in their interview as noted above. One other thing I noted is that the Sgt stated that it was not legal for "Aliens" to possess a handgun. Omaha better than anyone should know that LEGAL Aliens absolutely can possess a handgun........ (Since they were sued by SAF and NFOA and lost) Now the Sgt's statement would have been accurate if he would have said "ILLEGAL ALIENS cannot possess a handgun"

Many people mistakenly ask Police Officers to define what a law means and this is a huge mistake. Police Officers have way too much on their plate to have the statute books memorized... And I have seen too many examples where Officers DON'T know the gun laws and tell citizens bad info. They know what they need to know to get by on the street.

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »
So... we are supposed to pull our holstered gun out and give it to the officer and step out of the vehicle?  I find that is more dangerous to do then to leave the loaded weapon holstered and reside inside the vehicle.  Is this new?  Maybe I need to take the class again....

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
My advice that I give in class:

Don't reach for your permit, license or anything. Put your hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know you are carrying. IF they officer wants to take possession of the firearm and secure it, I would ask that the officer remove it from the holster. Me personally, I would not ever pull a gun out of a holster with an Officer standing there.

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
Thats what I thought, but after listening to the audio recording it is so VERY vague.  Glad I am still thinking correctly.  Thanks Chris

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »

9.36.030 Report of Sale of Firearms.
Any person, firm, association, or corporation dealing in firearms of any type shall, on the same day of the sale of any firearm, except a shotgun or a rifle of a type commonly used for hunting, report the sale to the Police Department on forms as prescribed and furnished by the Police Department. The report shall contain all the information requested thereon. (Ord. 15625 §3; July
9, 1990: P.C. §9.28.025: Ord. 15443 §1; February 20, 1990: prior Ord. 7936 §1; December 26,
1962).

So is the purchase of an AR type weapon or a "police type" shotgun reported to LPD ?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

So is the purchase of an AR type weapon or a "police type" shotgun reported to LPD ?

Don't know that about, but I would assume they do. I have never bought a complete AR15 in Lincoln
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
I use my ar for hunting.

does anyone know if a sbr/sbs/aow/machine guns have to be registered with OPD because they are "concealable"

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
I use my ar for hunting.

does anyone know if a sbr/sbs/aow/machine guns have to be registered with OPD because they are "concealable"

According to this, if the firearm is less than 26" in total length, then YES

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10945

Sec. 20-191. - Definitions.

For the purposes of this article, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them:

Concealable firearm: A firearm having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Problem is, OPD was refusing to register these types of firearms in the past, but I don't know if the changes NFOA pushed through  recently will change that or not.

Anyone else tried to register anything other than a handgun?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
I'd rather just get my ccw than pay any more money to the city.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
To quote Semper Fi Guy:

"People just don't want to believe Omaha Municipal Code 20-251, which says that if the concealable firearm is brought into the city limits, it must be registered.  Immediately.  Right now.   No 30 day grace period.   Applies to anyone bringing the firearm, whether resident or not.

The Omaha Police Will Legally Grab Your Gun if it isn't registered, except for those who hold an NE CHP or from a state w/Nebraska CHP reciprocity. Happens all the time.   Happens a lot."

This is clearly an infringement upon our Second Amendment rights.  This is a Federal Crime if you ask me.  It would be a crime of "Infringement upon Second Amendment Rights."  Each count would be added up based off of how many law-abiding citizens that are victimized.

They are breaking & ignoring our Constitutional rights.

From my understanding, the only recourse is a law-suit.  In which case, the court judges are all working for the same entity.  This is a very sad situation to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:26:03 PM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
Talk is cheap.  Anyone who wants to be the test case, step up, and the NFOA and the 2nd amendment foundation will bring the lawsuits
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
I had my experience with the O.P.D. & their registration process.

They told me that I can't own guns, I can't legally own them, I was dis-qualified, etc.

My quick fix was to get my CHP.  I certainly did that.

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story