< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: X-Frame cylinder issue  (Read 892 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
X-Frame cylinder issue
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
After finding a good load and sighting in my scope at the bullethole I decided the ole' cannon needed a cleaning. Before I took the cylinder out I checked to make sure it was unloaded, as always, and to my misfortune I had difficulty putting the cylinder back into the frame. I twisted it and it fit without too much fuss. Now after I finished cleaning and went to put the cylinder back in the frame, I had the same issue. This time it took some coercing with a mallet. After forcing it into the frame there was no problem with rotation and I can freely open and close it like normal. The cylinder cleared the forcing cone with no excessive space, but the star shaped thing in the middle of the extractor was rubbing on the back of the frame. Anybody ever heard of this problem? The loads I was shooting weren't showing any signs of excessive pressure (29-30 grains of Longshot behind a 335gr Rainier HP) so that wouldn't cause it to mess anything up.

Offline D1sclaimer

• Forum Member
Re: X-Frame cylinder issue
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »
Where did you build that load from?  I checked Hodgdon's website for loading recipes and they didn't have anything for a 335gr bullet.  They do however have recipes for 325gr and 350gr and from looking at those loads, I'd say you've been shooting some crazy hot loads.

Have you shot a lot of these 335gr bullets with 29-30gr of Longshot?

325 GR. BAR XPB  Hodgdon  Longshot       COL: 2.290"     starting load: 22.5gr  43,300 PSI  max load:   24.5  49,500 PSI

350 GR. HDY XTP  Hodgdon  Longshot     COL: 1.985"     starting load:21.0gr  41,400 PSI     max load: 23.0  50,000 PSI

Also, make sure there is nothing underneath the extractor star.  It can get dirty between the star and cylinder.  Something could be in there and be causing your issue.

Not sure if this will solve your issue, but it's worth looking at as well.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/178874-s-w-500-issue.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:40:54 AM by D1sclaimer »

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa oops. I meant I was shooting 22-23gr. Towards the top end but no flat primers or remotely sticky cases. And I cleaned underneath the extractor and it seated flush with the rear of the cylinder. I just can't imagine why it would suddenly not fit. (I don't usually share load data but at 25 yards 22.7gr and 22.9gr ate out the middle, I recommend them, but as always start low and work up  :D)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:38:57 AM by bradkoll »

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
Emailed smith trying to figure this out. When they replied I finally figured it out. I could never figure out how to unscrew the extractor rod since it was REVERSE threaded. I always wondered how to take that off and could never find the right answer to that question. Then I tried to get the cylinder to fit in the frame while it was fully tightened and it never had any problems, then I loosened it a little bit and had the problem of it not going into the frame reoccur. My best guess is the rod had loosened a tiny bit under all the recoil and what was undetectable to the naked eye proved to be a problem with fitting into the frame.

Lesson learned: Check that the extractor rod is tight before taking a mallet to the cylinder.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
... before taking a mallet to the cylinder ...

*CRINGE*
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
*CRINGE*

I was gentle... pretty gentle