< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Legislature Term Limit Increase  (Read 2663 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Legislature Term Limit Increase
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
How about 4 years on and 4 years off? That way you've gotta figure out what to do with yourself in the private sector at regular intervals. Getting too comfy would be very difficult.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »
"On the pay increase for legislators, I would have to say that it's much needed and warranted.  As Andy said, the low pay really limits who is able to serve as a legislator.  There are several people that are unintentionally excluded from serving as a state senator based on finances.  You shouldn't have to be retired or independently wealthy to run for and serve in the legislature.  That also limits the institutional knowledge, culture, diversity, etc"

Folks say this about paying our legislators, but there are several that pay less or some notheing at all and seem to be able to succeed i.e. UT, NM and WY as examples.  Look at the Great State of Texas and my native State.  Folks are flooding to the good life there.  http://www.empirecenter.org/html/legislative_salaries.cfm 

And by the by....how many of you can support your family on $20,000 some odd thousand per year????

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
Term limits are a pointless futility, we have term limits every time we vote.  For the life of me I do not know why they work but they do.

I would agree if everyone in Nebraska could vote for every senator. Ernie Q Public would nave never been in that long if that were the case, but since it is not, then term limits are a must.

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
Pay raise timing is so poor...  how many of us have had a pay raise in the last 4yrs?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Pay raise timing is so poor...  how many of us have had a pay raise in the last 4yrs?

I've not..... not that I've really needed one mind you... I aint rich, but I can live.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
I got a $3/hr raise two years ago, but I had to loose a job of 27yrs to get the increase. My wife also got $3/hr of a year ago but she lost her job of 15yrs and was off work for a year, so I will take quite a while for the increase to make up for the loss.  Also I expect taxes to spike now so even would be a goal.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
Already said and done...

But for a couple last minute thoughts:

Pay raise: being a representative is supposed to be an honor or similar.  Not a career choice for $$$.

Term limits: much wiser men than me in the late 1700's came up with a customary 2 term limit before it was made final later.  I'll trust their guidance and say 2 terms is enough :).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D