< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Deer Hunting 2012  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Deer Hunting 2012
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:14:05 AM »
Well, this will be my last year to post about my grand daughters deer hunting on this thread. She has been my deer hunting partner for the last six years, ever since she was 12 years old. Now that she is graduating from high school and has joined the Army I don't think she is a kid anymore. She took this nice sized small rack young buck at about 170 yards with her Remington 722 in 300 Savage yesterday morning just after dawn. One shot and down. This is her sixth deer. Next year she will be in the service and who knows if she will be able to hunt here in NE or not. We had a great day of hunting together and it shows just what a grand shared experience hunting and shooting can be here in USA.
Her first deer 2004:

2012:

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Deer Hunting 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
God Bless her.  Hopefully she can schedule any leave around deer season. ;) Or you would have to travel to where ever she is stationed and find something to harvest.
Now to talk shop. What is she running for ammo for the .300 Savage?  I recently acquired an Arasaka re-chambered in the .300 and can only find Federal or Winchester soft points around here.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »
She is shooting handloaded ammo. Remington cases, CCI 200 LRP, Hornady 308 150 grain SP over 39.5 grains of  H4895. Cronos at a little over 2500 fps. I hunt with an old Remington Model 81 auto loader in the same caliber so we shoot the same ammo. So far the load has taken five deer with excellent accuracy and terminal performance. From 30 to 170 yards. The 300 Savage is an outstanding little deer cartridge that truly deserves its reputation.
Forgot to add that I have tried the factroy Winchester 150 SP loads in these guns with acceptabe results. Just like to use my roll your owns to save money. We haven't taken any deer with factory ammo but I don't doubt that it would work just fine. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:22:06 AM by Wildgoose »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Nice pics, it's sad to see kids grow up and life get in the way but it's great that you've had the opportunity to share that experience with her.  I really enjoy hunting with my oldest nephew on my side of the family, and now the next nephew (5 years old) is excited to start too when he gets older.  He asked if he could have the antlers from my deer this year to hang on his wall.  His Mom said no.  He might get them for Christmas anyway.  ;D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
My own daughter was lamenting that next year was going to be her last hunting season for awhile ..... she'll be heading to the Air Force Academy if everything works out as she has planned ...... but there is this year to appreciate ..... she shot well and filled her tags ..... there is nothing finer in Life than to watch your kids be successful at something you taught them to do.  This was a great deer season!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.