< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking at Remington 700  (Read 3228 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Looking at Remington 700
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
I am a bit curious about the auto dispensing electric scales.  How do they handle different types of powder ? Super fine ball (Win296), flakey discs (Unique), or some of the chunkier rifle powders (extruded stuff) ?

I'm curious about this too.  I've been thinking of buying an auto dispensing scale.  For most of my shooting I just use my scale to set my powder measure and don't weigh each individual charge, but I do very little bench or other precision shooting.  When I load up a thousand or so rounds of prairie dog ammo it would be nice, though.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
I don't load myself, but I have a good friend who is a licensed ammo manufacturer.  He uses a manual scale for precision stuff.  His loads helped me produce the group pictured above, BTW.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
I use a Lyman dispenser/trickler, and I should have spent the money on an RCBS. The lyman does the job, just takes longer as it has a tendency to throw charges .1-.3 grains over.

That being said, if I am looking for 44.0gr, I'll set if for 43.8. The charge usually comes up at 43.9 or 44.0, if I am lucky. I'll lightly tap the tube to get to 44.0. I re-calibrate the scale every 10 charges. I double check all charges on a second scale.

I use only Varget powder, and the extruded stuff requires you to put a dampener on the end of the dispensing tube. The machine learns to relate speed and duration of rotation to X weight per X amount of time. The scale counts up as it is dispensing, then it beeps when it is finished and the scale resets. Even though it will say it stopped at 44.0 grains, after beeping and resetting it often says something like 44.1 or 44.2. No biggie, just throw that powder back in, and set the pan back. It automatically starts a new charge.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:25:57 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Well... tell us what you bought??
Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »
Good GRIEF!!!  Buying one of those would burn through the next 6 months of my loading budget! 

Just how good is it?  I have heard both good and bad things about electric scales over the last 2 years, more bad than good.  To drop that big a chunk of change for what might end up being an expensive door stop would just totally bum me out. 

Ron

Funny story about this. My first one had problems dispensing a certain range of Titegroup for my 38 special so I got a free shipping label from them and sent it in. They sent me one with a lcd screen that was finicky in the middle, worked fine but a few lcds didn't work at first. I emailed them again asking for another return shipping label and a new Chargemaster. They ended up sending me a new Chargemaster and no return shipping label. I emailed them asking for a label one more time and never got a response. So now I have 2 chargemasters (my roommate uses the one with a finicky lcd screen) and one is perfectly fine while the one that didn't have a working lcd when I first got it has started working. Great customer service imo :)