< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sausage making  (Read 3338 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Sausage making
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Anyone else make their own sausage from your deer?  Last year I tried making my own summer sausage and it turned out ok, but this year I think I nailed the recipe.  I honestly think it's better than what I've had made commercially from my deer in the past.

5lbs ground venison
5lbs ground beef
2.5oz whole mustard seeds
2.5T ground dry mustard
2 whole garlic bulbs, pureed
2.5tsp cayenne
4 T Salt
10 tsp LEM cure (use the amount on the instructions for whatever brand of cure you buy)
2 8oz blocks of cheddar, colby jack, etc - chopped into small chunks
10 medium sized jalapenos, chopped.
1 cup water
1 T Brown Sugar

Mix everything together except the meat, cheese, and peppers. If you have a grinder available run the ground meat through a second time to ensure it's very finely ground. Then mix seasonings into the meat and store (covered) in the fridge 2 days. Mix in the peppers and cheese right before stuffing, then stuff into casings and smoke on low heat until center is 155. My smoker takes about 6-7 hours at 200 degrees.  I prefer the smaller 1lb casings, and this recipe will yield 12-14 of them depending on if you add cheese & peppers.

Jalapenos and cheese are optional.  I actually made some of both.

Offline wahoo_t

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Sausage making
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »
or you could go to Frisco spices at the Hobart office on Harrison street just east of the bullet hole in La Vista and get everything you need and more freshly mixed
The Wahoo_T

"No Gun is a Danger to the Innocent When Held by a Man of Morals"-unknown author_

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »
That sounds like a good recipe.  I might have to give it a try.  I have been making my own for the last few years also.  Don't forget the soy powder to keep your meat from shrinking, I made that mistake my first year and after cooking my casings were loose.
Also, Hobart's sells the high temp cheese which made a huge difference in my sausage.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:49:49 AM by sparky »
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
I wish I had seen this two days ago: I just stuffed 10 2 lb summer sausages this morning, using seasoning and cure from Frisco/Hobart's ....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
Nothing wrong with using premixed seasonings, but if you mix your own you can do it the way you like it.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
I reload mix my ammo own seasoning. I don't save money I just get to shoot make more sausage.  :laugh:

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
Ok ..... Sampled sausage this AM ..... taste is OK, texture ....... leaves much to be desired.

I used 1/2 lean venison, 1/2 73% lean gound beef (WallyWorld 5 lb bulk packs)...... and followed the Frisco Spices Summer Sausage instuctions..... only I did not have a smoker.  Used oven/ liquid smoke method.

Sausage is dry, yet greasy at the same time..... seems that would be unpossible, as those are pretty much mutually exclusive qualities.... thoughts?

It makes a pretty good substitute for corned beef for hash though!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
I would guess using an oven instead of a smoker made a difference.  What temp did you bake it at?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
180 ..... to an internal temp if 155.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
I know this is bringing an old thread back up, but this is a good topic to discuss every year
I make cold smoke sausage, and also a normal "summer sausage" with heat of about 170 degrees or so in an an electric smoker

in my yard I have a 4x4x8 cold smoker that we built. These sausages are made when its still around freezing outside, has to be cold, and the internal temp of the smokehouse does not exceed like 50 degrees EVER.
They are smoked for about a week with mostly hickory that we harvest ourselfs, sometimes wil throw some apples wood chips in but mostly hickory.
curing for a week while being covered in hickory smoke, its a good thing

I still have some of these in my freezer, might need to get one out, we make large sausages, small sauages, I've done ham in there too

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
found another picture of a different batch that was almost done.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
[

I used the oven method for a few years, had what happed here happen to me also. Found that the best mix was i.e. for 20 Lbs. was 10 lbs. venison, 5 lbs. 70% beef, and 5 lbs. of ground pork butt. Temp wasn't too high, but you also need to crack the oven door a bit to keep it kinda broiling instead of baking.
D.R