< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Barrel length for long range .308  (Read 1320 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Barrel length for long range .308
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
Maybe Wallace will chime in here since he's a long range guy.  I've contemplated getting into long range precision shooting for a while, and always figured a longer barrel is the ticket.  Now that I have a suppressor I'm thinking something a little shorter would be nice, though.  Would a 20" barrel be enough to reach out to say 800-1000 yards?  I know you don't want the bullet to go subsonic and destabilize. 

I was thinking the Savage Hog Hunter would make a good base for a budget precision build.  It has a factory threaded barrel, and it's cheap enough that a guy could afford to spring for a good scope. The stock could always be upgraded later.  The barrel is medium countoured and 20" long..  If it can generate enough velocity I would think it would be a good starting point.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:26:04 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Barrel length for long range .308
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
There was a recent topic where Wallace talked about this....

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6525.msg46501.html#msg46501

Your barrel length concern:

.308s tend to gain the vast majority of their velocity within the first 16-18 inches, and everything after that is peanuts. The only thing you are gaining with a barrel longer than 18" is weight and a few FPS of muzzle velocity. Velocity has nearly nothing to do with accuracy, aside from a very negligible gain in wind bucking. I push a 20" .308 to 1000m with no problems, as do many others with 16 or 18 inch barrels. At the ranges you are talking about, you have zero reasons to have anything longer than 18"
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Thanks, I missed that earlier.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
If we figure 175gr FGMM out of an 18 inch barrel:
MV: 2460
Transonic @ ~875 yrds
Elevation correction @ 1000yrd: 43.5 MOA

Same load from 24 inch barrel:
MV: 2600 fps
Transonic @ ~950 yrds
Elevation correction @ 1000yrd: 38.5 MOA

According to Exbal, figuring speed of sound at sea level of ~1,125fps (speed of sound is slower at higher altitudes/lower barometric pressure). G1 drag model, nominal atmospherics. A whopping 75 yards of difference for 6" of barrel.

Mind you all that data is very dependent. Ballistic programs without a trued algorithm only really give you a guestimate, even with shooting through a chrony (even high dollar, recently calibrated chronies have about +/-20fps).

Tight bore .308s (.299) get much higher velocities. So do 5Rs. Shorter barrels are also known to have more consistent harmonics, as do heavier and higher quality barrels.

Focus on 600 and work your way out. With a .308, you will eventually hit that transition range no matter what. My round/rifle combo crosses it just fine @~850yrds (A guesstimate from a trued algorithm on Exbal).

If you want a .308 to go transonic predictably, the only solid advice I can give is do not use 168s. They are renowned for destabilizing due to a niche problem between bullet length and mass, and have a lower BC.

More mass typically means a higher BC, anything with a higher BC will make the transition smoother, among many benefits. Go with 175 or heavier, or some of the newer 155s (more expensive, but comparable).  In the interest of fairness, the 175 SMK does max out at .505 above 2800fps, so if you could hit that magic mark, there could be some minor gains to wind bucking ability. In order to attain that, you need a +26" tube. The only other thing a few FPS of MV gives you is a slightly smaller elevation correction. Big whoop.

This is all assuming that this weapon is intended to be somewhat practical and not a bench shooter or F-class. If it is one of the latter, by all means, go with a 30" barrel, it won't hurt and it might help. If you are REALLY fixated on 1000, and not worried about commonality or price, there are better cartridges to get there on.

What I am really saying is: stop worrying about velocity. It is way way way way way way down on the list of things that can help you smack steel at longer ranges.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:57:32 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:28 AM »
I want that deck and view off the back of my house.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »
Thanks guys. 

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
Brian, Go with the Savage, Barrel swaps are a snap, triggers and stocks are available. The savage action is inherently accurate by design. FWIW ---Mike