< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Does ENGC...  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Does ENGC...
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
Allow members to practice for the pistol matches?  After dues are paid, can a guy or a group, setup the targets and get the basics down before a match? Or is it strictly trial by fire?

If it helps, I have 4,6,8,10, and 12" AR500 3/8" plates, if that is the concern.  I just need the basics on the course and how to run them....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Does ENGC...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Allow members to practice for the pistol matches?  After dues are paid, can a guy or a group, setup the targets and get the basics down before a match? Or is it strictly trial by fire?

If it helps, I have 4,6,8,10, and 12" AR500 3/8" plates, if that is the concern.  I just need the basics on the course and how to run them....

One of the fun things about USPSA is that there isn't a "known" course of fire---each stage is different, and each month we have different stages.  It makes it interesting!  The downside is that we can't just give you a course of fire and tell you to practice it, like can be done for GSSF, Steel Challenge, Bianchi, or many other disciplines.

That being said, if you are a member of ENGC, when you go down to shoot in the pistol bays, once you are on a bay what you decide to practice is up to you.  As such, if you have the materials, you can set up as complicated of a stage as you like, and practice all sorts of things.

If you don't know what kinds of things to set up as stages, one of the things you can do is download the Classifier Book from http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/NCCB_4ed_2012.pdf

"Classifiers" are specific stages that are used for national classification purposes.  (You don't really need to worry about what exactly that means at the moment.)

The point is---most classifier stages are very simple to set up, tend to require minimal props, and really tend to test/work the shooting skills that are fundamental to doing well in USPSA.  They tend to be very specific about what you need to do, and will give you an idea of what sorts of things to expect from USPSA stages.  The Classifier book will give you precise stage diagrams along with specific directions for shooting that stage.

That being said---most stages from an actual match tend to be considerably more complicated than classifier stages.  This doesn't mean "don't do it," it just means that working some classifiers will give you an idea---but nothing substitutes for 1) coming and watching a match to see how it runs, what is expected of the shooter, what the rules are like, and how safety is handled (and what "safe gun handling" entails); 2) then trying a match after you know what you are getting into. 

:)

The rulebook itself for USPSA can be downloaded at:  http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

It isn't small.   :o

...in general, coming and watching a match, listening to the new shooter/safety briefing, and asking lots of questions is a REALLY good idea. 

For practice, though---as long as you are being safe, what you practice on the bays at ENGC is up to you.  You will have to bring your own targets and such (which is true for all members) as the ENPS materials are locked up and not available to the general membership, but you can set up as complicated a stage as you like, and do all sorts of practice.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
One of the fun things about USPSA is that there isn't a "known" course of fire---each stage is different, and each month we have different stages.  It makes it interesting!  The downside is that we can't just give you a course of fire and tell you to practice it, like can be done for GSSF, Steel Challenge, Bianchi, or many other disciplines.

That being said, if you are a member of ENGC, when you go down to shoot in the pistol bays, once you are on a bay what you decide to practice is up to you.  As such, if you have the materials, you can set up as complicated of a stage as you like, and practice all sorts of things.

If you don't know what kinds of things to set up as stages, one of the things you can do is download the Classifier Book from http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/NCCB_4ed_2012.pdf

"Classifiers" are specific stages that are used for national classification purposes.  (You don't really need to worry about what exactly that means at the moment.)

The point is---most classifier stages are very simple to set up, tend to require minimal props, and really tend to test/work the shooting skills that are fundamental to doing well in USPSA.  They tend to be very specific about what you need to do, and will give you an idea of what sorts of things to expect from USPSA stages.  The Classifier book will give you precise stage diagrams along with specific directions for shooting that stage.

That being said---most stages from an actual match tend to be considerably more complicated than classifier stages.  This doesn't mean "don't do it," it just means that working some classifiers will give you an idea---but nothing substitutes for 1) coming and watching a match to see how it runs, what is expected of the shooter, what the rules are like, and how safety is handled (and what "safe gun handling" entails); 2) then trying a match after you know what you are getting into. 

:)

The rulebook itself for USPSA can be downloaded at:  http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

It isn't small.   :o

...in general, coming and watching a match, listening to the new shooter/safety briefing, and asking lots of questions is a REALLY good idea. 

For practice, though---as long as you are being safe, what you practice on the bays at ENGC is up to you.  You will have to bring your own targets and such (which is true for all members) as the ENPS materials are locked up and not available to the general membership, but you can set up as complicated a stage as you like, and do all sorts of practice.

Perfect!  Thanks for the info! Maybe I just need to come out and watch one.  I am the type that asks a billion questions a trillion different ways, so that I am sure what I am hearing is what I have registered in my brain.  People tend to get tired of my questions... 

Thanks again for the info, and I will have to check again to see when new members are excepted, and will likely be joining myself and the wife. 

EDIT: After looking through most of the Quals, I certainly need some serious practice!  If those are the easy ones, then I sure have some work cut out for me.  I wouldn't even be able to remember the order of each string let alone, the order for each set of quals! 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:49:38 AM by Neeco »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Perfect!  Thanks for the info! Maybe I just need to come out and watch one.  I am the type that asks a billion questions a trillion different ways, so that I am sure what I am hearing is what I have registered in my brain.  People tend to get tired of my questions... 

Thanks again for the info, and I will have to check again to see when new members are excepted, and will likely be joining myself and the wife. 

EDIT: After looking through most of the Quals, I certainly need some serious practice!  If those are the easy ones, then I sure have some work cut out for me.  I wouldn't even be able to remember the order of each string let alone, the order for each set of quals! 

I note that you do NOT need to be a member of ENGC to shoot any of the pistol matches there.  (USPSA, Steel Challenge, or Multigun.)  I think the same is true for the rifle and shotgun matches, but I'm not sure of that.

Now, you need to be a member to use the range on your own (for practice and such) but it is certainly true that we get a lot of people at our matches who aren't members of the range. 

Our last match of the year is this Sunday at ENGC---so that would be a good day to come out and watch. :)

We will have 5 stages, one of which will be a classifier, so you should be able to observe a range of stage types.  I'll be running the safety/new shooter briefing, so feel free to find me and ask questions.

(I note that just because we say "last match of the year!" doesn't actually mean much--because we have a USPSA match every month on the first Sunday, so our next match is simply next month.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
oh man you're missing out, just come out and shoot. it's so much fun

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
I am going to try and come watch Sunday.  Got the go ahead from the boss, so we shall see.  I have to hang lights this weekend, so... I may be hobbling.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
If you come out on Sunday, stop by registration and introduce yourself to me.  I do the registrations for the matches and can help point out things and people.  We start shooting at 9am but start setting up stages at 7:30.  Feel free to come out and see how they are set up (we'll put you to work though) :)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
If you come out on Sunday, stop by registration and introduce yourself to me.  I do the registrations for the matches and can help point out things and people.  We start shooting at 9am but start setting up stages at 7:30.  Feel free to come out and see how they are set up (we'll put you to work though) :)

I have no qualms with manual labor.  :grin:  If the game on Saturday goes well, I may make the 730 am, if not, I may have a headache!