< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Handgun Permit  (Read 3811 times)

Offline tatejo

• Forum Member
Omaha Handgun Permit
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »
Went in today to get my douglas county purchase permit, and was very surprised. The people there were very helpful on getting the permits for all 20 of us in line! The line moved very quickly, and it was great to get the permit in-hand in a matter of minutes. I figured I would have to have the permit mailed to me and wait a few days, but to my surprise the whole procedure took about 20 minutes and walked out with it in hand.

How is the experience of people going downtown to register them though? Just turned 21 and have not had a chance to get the gun in hand quite yet so I have not had to go downtown yet.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Omaha Handgun Permit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
Call ahead, make sure the person that does the handgun registrations is actually there before taking the drive.

While I was there, it took about 10min per person if i recall correctly.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Glad I moved out of Omahaha and back into the state of Nebraska!

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
go buy from cabelas.  registration is illegal.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:44:22 PM »

This probably isn't the best advice unless you want to be the guinea pig to challenge this in court.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
I'm 99.999999999999999% positive that if you live in Omaha and do not have a CHP then Cabelas will make you go down to OPD and register it before they hand it over to you.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
Get moving on your carry permit and no registration is needed.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:53 AM »
I'm 99.999999999999999% positive that if you live in Omaha and do not have a CHP then Cabelas will make you go down to OPD and register it before they hand it over to you.

Nope. I work there and that is the purchasers job to take care of that.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »
Glad I moved out of Omahaha and back into the state of Nebraska!

So true!!!! Me too!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »

Yes Registration is illegal ONLY if you are a Concealed Handgun Permit holder

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:23 AM »
So true!!!! Me too!
I live within 200 feet of the border...such a mistake. I should have gotten out before I moved all of my junk.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
Q&A from the OPD website on resident handgun registration process.... 

http://opd.ci.omaha.ne.us/services/citizen-services/handgun-registration

When I went through the process, I had to get on line and find the link to 'schedule' a visit.  I was limited to 3 handguns at a time and it took about 10" per gun.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
It is a ridiculous system and I once witnessed its absurdity.

Several years ago, before I had my CHP, I was registering a recent pawn shop find with OPD. There was another person there who was also registering a gun, but he had it in his possession as he had bought it face-to-face. He had a purchase certificate issued by the Douglas County Sheriff.

When he tried to register the handgun (a third generation S&W) he was told it was a no go and they could not give it back to him because he couldn't legally register it. The problem was that he had a conviction for disorderly conduct, related to the discharge of a firearm in the city limits. This didn't disqualify him from getting the certificate that the Sheriff issued, but the city said it was a firearms offense so he couldn't be issued a registration card.

He left without his newly purchased gun, which the Sheriff green lighted, but OPD confiscated. It was a mess.

I almost offered to buy it from him on the spot. I figured, it was legal for him to own, but the city wouldn't let him possess it, so he should be able to sell it to someone who could legally own it. I could then apply to register it and take possession. I'm sorry to say I didn't do it. I doubted the officer working the window would have understood the situation and it would have caused me more hassles than worthwhile.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Husker Fan what you just described is legal and allowed by the city code, in fact they are supposed to give the person attempting to register the handgun a letter (may get mailed) that explains how to handle the situation and that they have 10 business days to have someone who can register a firearm come in to claim the gun and register it.  So he could sell it to you on the spot.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
Husker Fan what you just described is legal and allowed by the city code, in fact they are supposed to give the person attempting to register the handgun a letter (may get mailed) that explains how to handle the situation and that they have 10 business days to have someone who can register a firearm come in to claim the gun and register it.  So he could sell it to you on the spot.

Still rage worthy.

While I have the ultimate spot free record (not even speeding / parking tickets)... I really need to get out of Omaha and find myself a nice house with a garage :P
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
I just seems so ridiculous to me that the county would sign off on the purchase certificate but the city, looking at the same information, would not sign off on the registration card.

I actually like the purchase certificate system, but the handgun registration in Omaha just needs to go.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:32:58 PM by Husker_Fan »

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
They let someone who was convicted of a firearms offense get a permit to purchase?  Upstanding citizen right there.   He'll be a shoe in to get a CHP. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:24:00 PM by LM4202 »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »
They let someone who was convicted of a firearms offense get a permit to purchase?  Upstanding citizen right there.   He'll be a shoe in to get a CHP. 

It was a disorderly conduct charge which is not a felony.
I dont see how the city of Omaha can continue to deny its residents their 2nd Amendment rights by prohibiting possession of a handgun with such minor offenses which are not covered in federal law nor the state law. I thought we had state preemption in regards to all firearms laws except in the area of how firearms are carried?

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
Actually, it's the reverse. We only have preemption as it regards CHP holders. That's why CHP holders can't be required to comply with Omaha's registration system. Other than that, a municipal class city (Omaha) can pretty well do what it wants, like requiring a permit to open carry or require registration.

That's why I think our top legislative priority should be statewide preemption. Then the other changes we get made will affect the entire state uniformly.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Actually, it's the reverse. We only have preemption as it regards CHP holders. That's why CHP holders can't be required to comply with Omaha's registration system. Other than that, a municipal class city (Omaha) can pretty well do what it wants, like requiring a permit to open carry or require registration.

That's why I think our top legislative priority should be statewide preemption. Then the other changes we get made will affect the entire state uniformly.
Well with Ernie Q. Public back in office you can pretty much write that one off.