< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Updated address, part deuce  (Read 747 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Updated address, part deuce
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
Being force by our  legal system to obtain a CCW for the safety of my wife and myself, I ordered a Beretta  Nano from a local  gun shop I had done business  with 4 years ago.  Then, I purchased a 20 gauge pump shotgun for home defense.  Having, at the time, recently retired,  I was spending a lot of time at home and noticed that the neighborhood up north where I formerly lived was beginning to run down.   That becomes obvious when several police cars pull up at a neighbors house and surround it, guns drawn.   And they do it again, later, at another house down the block.   Twenty eight years at that address and suddenly I'm in a war zone? 

To bring home the shotgun I had purchased all I had to do was supply my name, address and social security number.   In about 20 minutes I was cleared by the  FBI  to complete the purchase and take  the shotgun home.

I ordered the Beretta Nano on line last Friday and was informed by phone call this afternoon at 1:30PM that it had arrived.  "Anything I need to bring?", I asked, expecting him to just say something like "two forms of ID and your  SSN".   

His response:
 "Your driver's license and your Lancaster county permit to purchase a handgun". 

"What?    I've heard of the CCW permit, which is what I working on getting, but I never read or heard of Lancaster county requiring a permit to purchase a handgun."

"You'll have to have  one before you can buy your gun.   And, you'll have to fill out the exact same form here, again,  when you pick up your gun."

I wouldn't be surprised to learn, when I arrive at the gun shop to pick up my weapon,  that I need a City of Lincoln purchase permit as well. 

Well, I checked out the requirements of the Lancaster County Permit to Purchase a handgun.   My driver's license, SSN and proof of my current address.   Opps!   We sold our house 6 weeks ago and moved to our new location in South  Lincoln.   My driver's license still  has my old address on it.   Down to the DMV.  Luckily, they issued a temporary DL with the new address on  it and, luckily,  Lancaster county accepted it  as proof of my address.  I paid my $5 and the kind lady said  I was good to go.  My permit would be sent out within 72 hours and I should get it after the US mule delivers it to my  mail box.  "How long in total?"   "About 5 to 7 days."

So, my Beretta  will be setting down at the gun shop  for a week or more.   Meanwhile, I am assuming that I can rent a handgun and buy some ammo to use for the range part of the CCW class I plan to take this weekend.   Even so, if I pass the CCW test (all that is required is 70%, or 21 out of 30 questions --- strange -- the exact score I got on my FAA single engine land pilot exam) I  may still have to wait 45 days to get possession of my CCW  permit.

Fortunately, a Judge in Omaha put a "temporary" hold on the planned meeting of the Board of Pardons so they didn't meet today to commute any prisoners sentences, and they won't be meeting on the 5th.    But, I suspect that political forces will find a way to climb over the judge's restraining order and began the commutations.    I am hoping that it may take at least a month or two.   By then perhaps I will be able to CC.

In all of this I was struck by the meaning of the phrase " ... shall not be infringed", and how it doesn't mean anything anymore. :'(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:43:20 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Updated address, part deuce
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
In all of this I was struck by the meaning of the phrase " ... shall not be infringed", and how it doesn't mean anything anymore.

I share your disgust/sadness/anger about the "shall not me infringed" part.  What we have let happen to our 2nd Amendment rights is damn near criminal in itself.   :(

On to better news... Concealed permits seem to finally be down under a month's wait after applying.  Also, depending on who you are taking your class from, you might be able to talk them into letting you borrow a pistol for the class, it sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

Glad you found our little corner of the gun rights world here in Nebraska, sorry about the way you got pushed into it though...  :o
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Updated address, part deuce
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
I feel your pain. I began the process of replacing my Nebraska Handgun purchase permit in mid November. My county was one of many that were out of the applications and permits. They have matching serial numbers.

I finally managed to submit my application last Friday and I am still waiting to receive my card. :angry: