< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My custom kydex holsters  (Read 1918 times)

Offline BarleyPops

• Forum Member
My custom kydex holsters
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »
Here are some kydex holsters I made a couple years ago after some self-taught trial and error.  I got into it for fun and because I had some custom requirements.  It all started when I asked Crossbreed to make them, but they said they were too far behind to do custom work and sold me the belt clips and wished me luck.

The two 5 o'clock tuckable concealed holsters, for an LCP and LC9 are right-handed, but the draw is reversed due to an old shoulder injury.  The position happened to work out nicely because it allows the left hand to easily grab a spare magazine.  I laminated stingray hide onto the back side so they don't absorb sweat and start stinking like some older ones did. 

The Buckmark holster is pretty simple.  I made it because I couldn't find anything with a snug fit that accounted for the sight rail this one came with.  It hangs low due to the 7+ inch barrel and is angled forward which, when worn at 4 o'clock, accounts for the shoulder issues.  I used a buckmark keychain fob to brand the logo on to the leather and laminated some scrap kydex onto the back to keep it stiff for a smoother draw.

Questions and suggestions are welcome!  Enjoy

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: My custom kydex holsters
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
Those look really nice, quite creative on the mag pouch's.  I dabble in the holster's a bit myself and your right it is addictive.  The only suggestion I would make is to adjust your pattern a bit so you can get a full combat grip on your shooter when you go to draw.  What I mean is you should be able to grip your gun holstered just as you would when not holstered, you don't want to have to adjust your grip before you aim at someone/ something when seconds count.  Nice work you have there, that is an interesting idea with the stingray, how does it feel up against the skin all day? 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline BarleyPops

• Forum Member
Re: My custom kydex holsters
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
I agree with the grip, but there isn't much to work with on these specific guns, especially when covering the magazine release is required to keep that from getting pushed when you lean back in a chair.
The stingray is very very comfortable.  You can't tell from the photo, but it feels like smooth beads.  Working with it is difficult because you are literally cutting teeth since that's essentially what those little enamaled beads are.
Thanks