< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Re-Loading Classes  (Read 1069 times)

Offline TCharlesAII

• Forum Member
Re-Loading Classes
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
Does anyone in the Lincoln/Omaha/GI area offer anything?   I just got a Lee Classic Turret for my Birthday/Christmas gift.  The more I read the more questions I keep thinking of and would love to attend something.  I know it's fairly simple and did it as a kid with my dad but that was years ago.

Thanks

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Re-Loading Classes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
 I would highly recommend taking a class, as mistakes in reloading can be costly and dangerous.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6453.0.html

SFG, from the thread posted above, teaches reloading classes. Although I've never been to one of his classes, I'm sure he can get you started off in the right direction.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:31:22 AM »
SFG will indeed be offering a class.  I'll be there as well either as a teacher's assistant or perhaps more involved heh.  I think we were wanting to wait until after the holidays ?

Class will be taught on a rock chucker I think, so it'll be fairly universal (a single stage is a single stage is a single stage).  It's meant to be an introductory course... you'll be able to load your own ammo just fine afterwards... while avoiding the in depth details of say benchrest ammo loading.  Cost of the class is to cover materials.

Depending on how the class goes, SFG might offer the course regularly, or I might offer a similar course so that the time demands on either of us isn't as 'heavy' (taking turns offering the class).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:08 AM »
Keep us posted.  If it fits into my schedule I would be interested.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:45:47 AM »
Guess My Hand Is Being Called Here...........

Yes...Reloading classes start in January, after all the Holiday stuff is over and there's not much else to do.   At Paragon Training Center in Papillion, NE.

We'll start with 9mm pistol and will use an RCBS single-stage press.   What we cover on the RCBS SS is easily transferable to turret type presses [Lee, Lee Classic] and on to true progressives [Dillon].

In the meantime, anyone who wishes to do so can readily learn reloading from Youtube videos, if sufficient judgment is applied to sort through all the Yahoos in order to get to the Truly Proficient reloaders.

Rifle cartridge reloading is a somewhat different Breed of Cat.   That's where the individual crankiness of benchrest shooters comes out in full play.   ["This here way is the ONLY way to reload PPC........Ain't no other way to do it right."]

Anyhow, if there's enough demand, we'll just offer a series of reloading classes until everyone gets tired of it.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline TCharlesAII

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Sweet!  Yea keep me updated.  I'll make sure it fits my schedule.  I've already started reading my Lee book that came with the LCT.  It just keeps creating more questions.  Most of them will be answered by actually doing the work.  I'm a very visual/hands on person so it will make more sense then. While I already have a .270 die I've pretty much decided after reading that pistol is easier to learn on so I may go pickup a .44 die set and start with that and or a .45 die.  I have brass for both.  Then I can work my way up to my .270, 30-30 and 7.62.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
Definately interested.
Hopefully my work schedules will cooperate

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
TCharlesAII

Numerous rather well presented videos are available on YouTube which demonstrate the Lee Classic Turret Loader.   I spent about an hour being mesmerized by several last night.

Point is, you don't need to wait until a reloading class to set up your Lee CTL.

I do think it is instructive to start with a single stage press in order to gain a clear understanding of the role of each die in the overall process.   But certainly not necessary.

Reloading basics are pretty straightforward.    The firing pin blows it all apart; the press puts it all back together.

sfg   
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
I've been meaning to go through and put together a series of youtube links for 'how to' on reloading.

When work isn't frightfully busy, i'll do so :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D