< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long to wait for CCW permit?  (Read 46826 times)

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
How long to wait for CCW permit?
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
Just wanting to get some input as to how long i should wait before contacting the CID.  It has been 14 days since i applied.  The lady at troop a said they had hired a bunch more people and they were processing permits very quickly.  I know that it says they have 45 calendar days but i don't want to be like many others and call on the 45th day and magically its ready as soon as they print it off.  I thought about calling just to make sure that have all the necessary items and there isn't anything else they need.  At the same time i don't want to be an annoyance as i am sure many others call daily and find myself at the bottom of the pile so to speak.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: How long to wait for CCW permit?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
It's hard to wait. It's especially hard to wait for those that believe their lives are in immediate, direct danger (they are actively being targeted by a miscreant). Unfortunately, you have no recourse until day 45. You'll have to wait it out until then. I'm pretty sure it's a "will be processed in the order they are received" type situation.
The good news is that, lately, they've been processing them faster than 45 days. For a while it was well past the deadline that people would get their cards.
Good luck Grinch.

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
thanks for the input.  i just hate having to wait.  i have been watching a mailbox like a little kid waits for santa claus.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »
I hear you. I'm not as good at waiting as I should be.

I would encourage you to start putting your system together, though. Find a good holster, get a good gun belt, find some clothing that will cover well. Take a training class (the course you just finished that lets you get the permit is not enough, IMO). Have fun, but above all please, please, please use common sense and be safe.

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
I have already ordered all my stuff.  I have actually taken several classes while i was in college and am quite proficient with a firearm.  But i hear ya, practice and training are the most important. 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
45 days is a lot better than +6 months for NFA stuff.  it will come soon enough.

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
Yeah I figure once I apply in January I'll just do what I did while waiting for my NFA stamp.  Forget about it, don't think about it.  Continue to train.

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
I called the Lincoln CID to check on the status because i couldn't help but ask when it would be done.  They stated that i had been approved a week after submitting my application.  i am on day 36 right now.  I asked if i could dome by to pick it up and they cited the 45 day policy and that it should be mailed by then.  She also said they would call when it is printed.  So now just gotta wait a little longer.  stinks that i have to wait just for it to be printed now.  oh well.  only a week and a half.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
I'm so sick of them doing this crap.  This law needs to be changed.  In south dakota when you apply for a CCW they give you a temp card right away until your real card is there.

There is no reason they cant be processed in 10 minutes each.  Just run a NICS, what else could they possibly be checking.  They act like they have some sort of secret databases and spy satelites to check out.  Give me a break.

I also dont understand how they say that you have been approved a week after submitting, what the heck takes 38 more days after that?  Printing out a card?  My work can print out cards like that in 5 minutes, they do it all the time if you lose an ID.

I think that question needs to be answered and I would ask them.  Its almost like they have 45 days so they just use it up because they can.  JUST TO SHOW POWER OVER YOU.  THen they wonder why we want guns in the first place.  They do this crap and with our CCW, just think what they would do if only they had guns....

Yeah I'm grumpy.

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
Ya i'm just waiting on them to print the card.  they said i was in line and it should be printed in time.  they said they would call but i'm not expecting to hear from them till after the 45 day since it is a saturday. 

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »
I understand and totally agree that they could certainly streamline the process. Apparently, though, Nebraska is fond of outsourcing ID card printing to other states (pretty sure they do that with drivers licenses, now) and I wonder if that is part of the holdup.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »
I understand and totally agree that they could certainly streamline the process. Apparently, though, Nebraska is fond of outsourcing ID card printing to other states (pretty sure they do that with drivers licenses, now) and I wonder if that is part of the holdup.

I believe it is, whatsit.    I used to work as a system analyst/developer at the Dept of Revenue.   I retired four years ago, but between 2002 and 2008, when  I retired, they were  outsourcing a lot of programs  at that department.  And,  they were centralizing a lot of work in buidlings other than where the  clerks and such  were using/doing the work.    When  I was modifying a  Homestead report printout I could make and test several  changes in the report in  one day, which even  including walking several blocks from the  NSOB to the 501 building, and back.   After the new procedures were  put in place the process was so  cumbersome that it took at least a day to make a change, pass it through various approval  levels, get a printing of a test document authorized, schedule it, print it at the scheduled time, walk over to the 501 and pick it up.  Take the printout  to others to  authorize, shake  and repeat until everyone agreed.  Then print 50,000 copies.  What used to be done in under a couple  hours at the most, began taking a couple  weeks at least. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
I do think the printing of the halographic water marks and other included security and anti copying  strategies make the job a very specialized one
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
I do think the printing of the halographic water marks and other included security and anti copying  strategies make job a very specialized one

Wouldn't those be pre-printed on the blank forms?   That's  the way we did it at the state office, except for numbering.  We had a special hand stamp  for that and logged  the numbers, etc...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:06:06 PM »
When the State went to the new style Drivers license they farmed out the printing. CHP is the same technology
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
I called the Lincoln CID to check on the status because i couldn't help but ask when it would be done.  They stated that i had been approved a week after submitting my application.  i am on day 36 right now.  I asked if i could dome by to pick it up and they cited the 45 day policy and that it should be mailed by then.  She also said they would call when it is printed.  So now just gotta wait a little longer.  stinks that i have to wait just for it to be printed now.  oh well.  only a week and a half.

I'm shocked they told you that you had been approved since it hadn't been printed yet.   I think that's the first time I've heard that one. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
There is no reason they cant be processed in 10 minutes each.  Just run a NICS, what else could they possibly be checking.

Here's the reason they can't just do a NICS check:

69-2431. Fingerprinting; criminal history record information check.

In order to insure an applicant's initial compliance with sections 69-2430 and 69-2433, the applicant for a permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be fingerprinted by the Nebraska State Patrol and a check made of his or her criminal history record information maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation through the Nebraska State Patrol. In order to insure continuing compliance with sections 69-2430 and 69-2433 and compliance for renewal pursuant to section 69-2436, a check shall be made of a permitholder's criminal history record information through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

The Legislature elected, in its wisdom, to require a fingerprint-based FBI criminal record information search for first time applicants. Permit renewals only have to be checked through NICS, but initial applications require the longer, more expensive check.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:02:06 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline grinch

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Ya the lady said "yep you're approved, just gotta wait in line to get it printed."  she said it also looked like it would make it out of time.  kinda frustrating but at least i know its gotta be sent out next friday at the latest.

Offline sattv4u

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
Day 24 here....Get anything yet Grinch?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
I talked a co worker into getting his CCW.  His course was this past weekend and he was told 40days for wait.