< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SCHOOL SHOOTING IN CONNECTICUT  (Read 9291 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: SCHOOL SHOOTING IN CONNECTICUT
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
An armed teacher doesn't have to run to the sound of the guns. They can stay and protect their classroom. These kids were grouped together. It would have been like shooting penned cattle if the shooter had gone into their rooms.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
I guess we can go on discussing arming teachers, even though we all know this will never happen and there will never be enough willing participants to have a real effect on school shootings. Talk about denial and an imagined emotional effect....

Properly trained and armed school security personell...I get it...nobody wants to pay for it. I already know this. Nobody wants to see an increase in their taxes and schools will fight any attempt to cut their budgets. That is why nothing meaningful is going to come of this tragedy. Tomorrow will be business as usual.

- Shawn

Teachers carrying, whether it will happen or not, will cause exactly the same effect as individuals carrying for their own self-defense.  We generally consider this a good thing.  As to "never have a real effect on school shootings" this is obviously true unless you can get multiple armed people into a vast majority of schools---unless, of course, you didn't mean to set up a strawman and instead were thinking about specific schools with specific people.  As police know quite clearly, having someone able to react immediately can make a difference. 

Not will make a difference.  But can, at least.

And again, certainly better than no one.

Speaking personally, I'm not trying to keep everyone in the U.S. safe.  I'd be happy to keep just my students safe. 

The idea that this is "about denial and an imagined emotional effect...." is quite odd, actually.  Don't you train people for CCW?  To defend themselves?  Do you tell them that you'll train them, but it is really only for emotional effect?

Properly trained and armed school security personell...I get it...nobody wants to pay for it. I already know this. Nobody wants to see an increase in their taxes and schools will fight any attempt to cut their budgets.

This amuses me on many levels. 

Let's just take Omaha Public Schools.  There are over 80 school buildings just in OPS.  I assume you want a security team in each one, since a centralized team would have a response time that would make it useless.

So---80 response teams.  Considering that these schools are NOT small (and many are over 1000) I assume that you are planning for at least a 3-man security team for each school.  (Obviously it should be higher, but let's attempt to load this in your favor.)  Since this is a high-risk job, requiring significant amounts of continual training, let's assume we can hire each person for a bargain price of $40,000 a year (That won't happen, if you want them trained and competent, but again, let's try to load this in your favor).  So, you've just added $9,600,000 to the OPS budget, IF you can hire them (and keep them trained) for that little salary AND you only need 3-man teams for each school.

Do you have any concept of how much money school systems have, use, and are given? 

In my school district, we only have 4 buildings, and thus would only need to add $480,000 to our yearly budget for the 12 security folks.  Granted, at the high school we currently have a building budget that literally is smaller than our budget 11 years ago (that is in absolute dollars, not in adjusted-for-inflation dollars, by the way) while our student population is 150% of what it was back then.  So, you ARE correct, we don't really want to cut any more of our budget for anything. 

I note that amount of money ($480,000) isn't actually realistic, because of course it doesn't take into account actual security requirements such as equipment, gear, training, space for security, additional security adjustments for building infrastructure itself, etc.

Again, I mention:  small towns can't even create for themselves SWAT teams.  Matter of fact, small towns normally have barely enough police to cover all shifts.  And you are saying it would be feasible to have a highly-trained security team in each school building? 

That seems a little unlikely.

Have you thought about what type of tax increase (and infrastructure increase) it would take to make that a reality? 

Again----certain things in society are soft targets.  Unless we want all schools to be small, high-security, and locked (like schools for international diplomat's children and such) that isn't going to change.

So----got any realistic possibilities for us?  Or can you come up with any realistic numbers to make your ideas of security teams possible?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »
One small improvement would be to let my wife carry her gun to school when she walks to pick up the children or goes to volunteer for a few hours.  She can help them spell and be there just in case....

Heck theres an answer.  Let armed parents volunteer to come protect the children.  Get enough volunteers you got free, highly motivated security.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:39:26 PM by skydve76 »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
I say allow willing teachers to be armed.  I truly believe that it will create an air of uncertainty in some would-be shooters' minds.  And it may deter them.   Not all but some. 

It's pretty obvious that "Gun Free Zones" are the whack jobs' first choice to act out their self-indulgent little fantasies. 

I see nothing wrong with attempting to harden up soft targets, even if it's only a little. 

Eventually one of these jack asses is going to step in front of a permit holder and get popped in the back of the head, denying them their body count and perhaps their glory.   Not that it will ever happen, the media being what it is, but the ONLY picture that should ever be shown of these scumbags is one where they're lying face down in a pool of their own blood. 

DO IT I say!  A slim chance is better than no chance. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
One small improvement would be to let my wife carry her gun to school when she walks to pick up the children or goes to volunteer for a few hours.  She can help them spell and be there just in case....

Heck theres an answer.  Let armed parents volunteer to come protect the children.  Get enough volunteers you got free, highly motivated security.
I have had that very conversation with fellow Member/ Coworker/ Father. I would pay for my own enhanced training if they desired.  Hell, I may even resort to buying a Glock if I had to to ease the minds.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
Poor kids and family :(.

I'm gonna skip the rest of this conversation in fear of getting too annoyed or annoying others :).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I have had that very conversation with fellow Member/ Coworker/ Father. I would pay for my own enhanced training if they desired.  Hell, I may even resort to buying a Glock if I had to to ease the minds.

Now THERE'S a man willing to pay any price.   ;D
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
I don't have an answer other than allowing school faculty the right to carry if they have a permit. I would never expect them to run into fire, but just the idea that they may be in the right place to stop such a thing may be a deterrent. I would rather see a teacher herding kids to safety rather than leaving them only to possibly get killed leaving the kids to be easy targets.

Swat teams and armed security in schools has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. In nearly every LEO thread, it is made perfectly clear that the police are not there for your protection, which is totally true. Why would we want to teach our kids a different story while they are in school only to learn that after they graduate, they are no longer protected? Maybe there should be other types of security, such as metal detectors for anyone entering the school. Or maybe not letting anyone in without some type of ID that was given them by the school.

The perfect answer is not here for me, but maybe it will come.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
I am saddened by the loss of life.
My prayers go out to all the families affected by this.

I see two main issues here, but everyone is focusing on only one of them.

1. Allow law abiding citizens to legally carry nearly everywhere. This includes schools. If a teacher can legally carry concealed, then let them do that at school. Students used to be able to have rifles in their vehicles for hunting after school with their friends.  Now grade school kids get expelled because they pretend their finger is a gun when playing, or because when they sign their name and it looks like they are making a gun with their finger.

2. A large number of children are no longer being taught right from wrong, or how to deal with failure. 2 + 2 doesn't have to be 4. We can't hurt a child's feelings.  Everyone gets a trophy. No keeping score during games. There are many examples around.
Kids do not know how to deal with the real world. Their feelings get hurt, or they lose in a competitive game and they can't deal with it because they have never been taught to.

The media and politicians will use this and other recent events to try to take away everyone's gun rights. There will be an outcry that GUNS are the problem, not the PERSON who committed multiple crimes.

The media should also stop promoting the killer. They give the bad guy notoriety, repeat his name and show his picture everywhere. Other demented criminals see this and also want to be famous.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
As the spouse of a teacher, I'd love it if my husband could carry while on the job.  However, I don't like the idea of him being responsible for the sheeple who won't carry and take responsibility for themselves.  I just want him to be able to protect himself if some nut-job decided to open fire in his part of the building.

As a teacher myself... this.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
Connecticut has some of the most restrictive guns laws in the nation - how can it not be clear to the libertards that gun laws just dont work?

Because they think they can 'tighten up' the mythical loopholes... and magically confiscate every firearm ever produced. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
Thereis an web based  interactive map showing the locations of school shootings around the world since 1999.   There  have been 31 in the USA and 14 in the rest of the world.  Anti-gun proponents are making hay with that graphic.
http://o.canada.com/2012/12/14/interactive-mass-shootings-around-the-world-since-1996/

The amazing thing is that there are about 300 million  guns in the US, and most of the other countries do not allow their citizens to own or possess guns of any kind, which is leading to homicides by bats, tire irons, golf clubs  and knives, except that Britain is talking about outlawing carving knives 9" or longer.

However, here is another interesting statistic:
http://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/
which states that at least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs.
Zoloft
SSRI
benzodiazapine
Prozac
Xanax
Ambien
Trazodone
Effexor
Ritalin
Luvox

All of them product hallucinations, delusions, altered mental  patterns, and even death, as indicated in this  report on one of them, prozac: http://www.drugwatch.com/prozac/

Even something that appears to be as harmless as a sleeping aid can be dangerous:
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking Ambien and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.

Ambien may impair your thinking or reactions.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 12:11:06 AM »
Thereis an web based  interactive map showing the locations of school shootings around the world since 1999.   There  have been 31 in the USA and 14 in the rest of the world.  Anti-gun proponents are making hay with that graphic.
http://o.canada.com/2012/12/14/interactive-mass-shootings-around-the-world-since-1996/

The amazing thing is that there are about 300 million  guns in the US, and most of the other countries do not allow their citizens to own or possess guns of any kind, which is leading to homicides by bats, tire irons, golf clubs  and knives, except that Britain is talking about outlawing carving knives 9" or longer.

which states that at least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs.
Zoloft
SSRI
benzodiazapine
Prozac
Xanax
Ambien
Trazodone
Effexor
Ritalin
Luvox

All of them product hallucinations, delusions, altered mental  patterns, and even death, as indicated in this  report on one of them, prozac: http://www.drugwatch.com/prozac/

Even something that appears to be as harmless as a sleeping aid can be dangerous:
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking Ambien and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.

Ambien may impair your thinking or reactions.

Offline Sincendiary

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
This is clearly a horrible year for shootings.  It's horrifically saddening.

Now to go off on an overly emotional and tangential rant that I probably shouldn't...

Zoloft
SSRI
benzodiazapine
Prozac
Xanax
Ambien
Trazodone
Effexor
Ritalin
Luvox

As a mental health paraprofessional, bringing up statistics like this usually make me tense.  Largely because you're going to give them to people who have absolutely no understanding of psychiatric drugs or firearms.  After evaluation by psychologists/psychiatrists/clinical social workers in conjunction with general medical doctors, the military regularly sends people armed with squad automatic weapons and high explosives into hostile fire zones on 90% of the drugs you've mentioned and run into very minimal problems. 

Of course when we do run into problems, they make international news.  Yes, there are times when we reccomend people are not armed while becoming stable on medication or even the duration of the medication's use.  I'd like to see statistics on how treatment compliant these folks actually were.  If people get treated by a mental health professional, are compliant with their treatment, and generally responsible, they're not any more dangerous than the average generally responsible person.  There's a possibility they might even be safer.  However, with liability insurance to worry about I really doubt any civilian doctor would *ever* call someone in their care "safe to own a firearm."

I also have a very personal and real fear of making my job harder by making veterans even MORE hesitant to seek mental health care they need because of laws banning someone who's ever taken any sort of SSRI or something from owning a firearm.  The last thing I want to do is take away a veterans self defense devices, hunting abilities, etc after he or she has some post traumatic stress reactions after putting his or her life on the line for our country.

I'm scared of lawyers making psychiatrist decisions in general.  If you can't legally prescribe drugs, you probably shouldn't be in the position to make legal decisions about them.  I think it'd discourage general population from getting care not just veterans and overall just making the world a more dangerous and unfun place to live.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:10:08 AM by Sincendiary »

Offline Sincendiary

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »
Also worth noting... I don't know how legitimate this news source really.

http://www.chinanews.net/index.php/sid/211386916/scat/9366300fc9319e9b/ht/22-students-stabbed-in-China

China News.Net Friday 14th December, 2012
A mentally ill villager armed with a knife Friday stabbed an 85-year-old woman and 22 school children at the gate of a primary school in China, officials said.

A madman with a blade is also pretty scary...

Give people treatment not restrictions please.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:13:40 AM by Sincendiary »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 03:47:21 AM »
Was waiting for someone to eventually post the China story.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 04:02:41 AM »
Reactionary stuff to what's happened is natural.

The problem is, people will attempt to push an agenda using the tragedy.

It's a tragedy, the fault lies at the feet of the person who committed it, and no amount of legislation will fix it.

And you can't go about pointing at things and saying 'eeeeevil'.

IE:

* it was a gun! restrict all guns!
* it was the meds! restrict all meds!
* it was a veteran! restrict all veterans! (see current provisions in this year's ndaa)
* it was a train! restrict all trains! (see school rules near train tracks)
* it was the bat! restrict all bats! (see bat company sued cause a kid got hit by a base/soft ball during a normal base/etc hit at a game)
* it was the video game doom! restrict the games!

It was a tragedy.  Doesn't mean you can "fix it".  And you can't point at something arbitrary and claim it was responsible.

As far as legislation... he was already in one of the strictest gun control states.  He had the weapon illegally (under 21). He entered school grounds (illegal).  He committed homicide (illegal).  Somehow I don't think words scribbled on paper helped nor would more words he would have ignored.

As far as the frequency of which these things seem to be happening over the last few years... well... its hard times for everyone, things are going to be getting ugly.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »

As far as the frequency of which these things seem to be happening over the last few years... well... its hard times for everyone, things are going to be getting ugly.

We had hard times in the Depression too.  I don't recall stories of mass murder in our schools though.  We're reaping the harvest of those who think we can lead a pain free/consequence free life. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »
Another horrible incident in a gun free zone.  As a parent my heart sank on hearing this story.
Armed security teams in schools won't happen for monetary reasons as stated above.
The 'gun control' types usually tend to be big government types.  Their pitch is the messianic state will provide everything from cradle to grave and protect us.  So folks like us that believe we  can provide some of our own security do  not jibe with their worldview.
Teachers who willing to carry concealed would be a viable but unlikely option. 
I don't know all the answers.  I'm not sure I even know the questions sometimes