< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Your thoughts? Just a concerned citizen of the US...  (Read 2576 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Your thoughts? Just a concerned citizen of the US...
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »

So I've been out and about.  I have been shopping, browsing, & etc.

I am hearing from numerous people that the Semi-auto ban is coming, all semi-autos will be banned, we will soon need a federal stamp to buy simple ammunition, all AR's will be banned...

I mean the list of rumors is flowing freely from store to store.  I understand mass paranoia and I also understand there is a legitimate concern to our 2A rights.

What type of agenda is  being discussed on tv?  Is the paranoia correct?  I hear so much from others.  I just wanted to get other views from this board on the "real issues" we may be facing and what we can do to stop politicians from taking away my lifestyle.  I didn't say our lifestyle because I don't want to speak for anyone else. 

Your thoughts?
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Your thoughts? Just a concerned citizen of the US...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Semi auto handguns and rifles are the firearms of choice of the vast majority of US citizens and as such I believe they are protected under the second amendment rulings in Heller V DC.

Does that mean they won't pass some draconian law... No.  But ultimately I believe that a semi auto ban is unconstitutional and will fail.

Barring that MOLON  LABE
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
Another thing... I really object to the idea that defending freedom via firearm ownership is some sort of lifestyle choice or a hobby.

For God's sake, the greatest nation in the history of mankind was founded on these principles, and I think that calling it a lifestyle demeans our freedom.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
I see a possible intervention by the  EPA on ammo as an attempt.
I can see them making gun owners to buy expensive liability insurance 'for the children'.
They will try back door stuff like this to thwart our rights

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
A British General tried to confiscate all the lead balls and cannons in Boston. It resulted in the shot heard round the world at Concord Massachussetts, when the Citizens declined to "turn them in " under threat of death

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Dan,

I appreciate your views on this topic.  I did not mean to loosely use the term "lifestyle" in exchange for Freedom.  I meant no disrespect on the issue.  At this point, I believe we need to protect what we have left.

I believe that ultimately, any further tolerance of gun bans will result in slavery at some point - soon or late. 

I believe that without a means to protect ourselves and everything to dear to us; Draconian laws will prevail setting forth the motion of neo-slavery. 

The people & citizens of the United States have a right to bring formal charges against our polticians and government.  I do not believe that they are protecting our Freedom or our interests.

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
I also went online yesterday.  I now see that Midway has a $27.50 haz mat fee & waiting period to order gun powder.

This is a form to me - of what is known as an "economic war."  I would refer to it as a financial & elitist war.  (My opinion)

The Govt has interfered with commerce before.  I do not agree with added fees to further restrict sales & make powder less accessible to the common man. 

In my eyes; one small fee turns into another.

(I also understand that this type of fee is not new) :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:20:48 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
i share your pain and concern.  these idiots (aka shooters) are ruining our freedoms and when the celebrities share their stupid POV, sheeple will listen.  i've been telling my friends that guns were not the cause of anything, therefore they should be left alone.  it was the shortfall in mental illness system.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
i share your pain and concern.  these idiots (aka shooters) are ruining our freedoms and when the celebrities share their stupid POV, sheeple will listen.  i've been telling my friends that guns were not the cause of anything, therefore they should be left alone.  it was the shortfall in mental illness system.

Not really that, either.  You simply can't lock up all the mentally ill people, and you can't ever know when someone is going to go from "ill" to "dangerous". 

Considering that the number of mass shootings per year basically hasn't changed since the 1980s (and I only say "1980s" because I have no data further back than that)---and we have lots more guns, and lots more people with mental illnesses.  And yet---about the same number of mass shootings.

From that, you might argue that 1) people are getting SAFER with guns over time, and 2) mental health professionals are doing better and better in helping mentally ill people.

Anyway---the main reason I responded here was to suggest a label change. 

The kid wasn't a "shooter".  He was a killer. 

I'm a shooter.  So are lots of friends of mine.  And yet, none of us going on mass killing rampages.  Matter of fact, shooters don't do that.

The kid was a killer.  And there is a significant difference.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
Just watched an NRA video on the CBS website. Basically pointing out the power of the NRA to fund defeat of control attempts. There was a suggestion that increase control was needed with more extensive background checks made (ignoring recent events where the guns did not belong to the killers).

What occured to me is how the media refers to the NRA without note of membership. A single enemy to a cause, ignoring the citizens that support that entity. There are aspects of the NRA that disappoint me, but overall they are in the best interest of their membership.

It is not in the interest of the anti-gun people to recognize there are millions of  (HIGHLY)responsible and competent people with no desire to harm anyone that does not mean ill toward them.

As to economic concern, hazmat fees are necessary to any materials that pose danger in shipment (powder, primer, chemicals, etc., have required this fee for many years and is not new.  Although the fear of deprival has caused a huge hording and buying that has driven up the demand costs of guns and related materials.  (Along with Asian countries buying all raw materials to sell back to us in other forms...buy USA... had to stick it in).

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
Mongo, my ire was not directed at you as much as the constant barrage of the media that attempts to frame the argument by trivializing the rights we hold dear. 

The use of terms like assault rifle, shooter, weapon of mass destruction, to describe  an AR15, and we let them do it and even join in...

When did a 30 round magazine turn an AR15 into  a killing machine firing 5 bulllets per second...AR15's have always had at least a 20 round capacity, yet everyday we hear experienced riflemen using the term "high capacity" to describe a common standard issue 30 round magazine.

We must stop letting the media redefine the fight for freedom as a  "hobby" carried on by deranged redneck killers
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
The hazmat fees are not new and Midway does not even ship  the hazmat items. They partner with Powder Valley in Kansas to drop ship all of their hazmat items from their  stocks

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Everyone would do well to cut out the middle man here and order direct
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
I was reading on CNN's website -  a commentary by a Chinese sociologist.  He stated that China has had a surge of "knife attacks"  in their schools as they are not allowed to own guns. 

The last thing we need is an opinion from any country who will not allow their citizens to own a gun.

In the eyes of what happend in the UK - I am nervous to say the least.

It scares me to think of our country adopting any policy that disarms our citizens.  I know that without our guns - the elite will take advantage - even further than they already have. 

To me - our guns keep us from being a country full of slaves.

The media also sickens me.  I see how they portray gun owners & guns in general.  It is a scare tactic- they want to instill fear - in order to promote their agenda. 

I am disgusted with CNN and their commentary below... 

"Supporters of gun regulation won an important victory when the Second Circuit Court of Appeals upheld New York State's requirement that one show "proper cause" to obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun in public.

The court rejected the idea that one had a right to carry arms in the absence of a reasonable fear of imminent violence. The lead plaintiff in the case, Alan Kachalsky, said that the court's emphasis on reason is a "ridiculous interpretation of the Second Amendment." Sadly, the idea of reason has become ridiculous to some.

But champions of gun control were handed a defeat when on Tuesday, in Illinois, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the state's ban on carrying a weapon in public is unconstitutional. In contrast to New York, and against the advice of experts, Illinois did not rewrite the law to include an exception for arming oneself when there was a reasonable fear of imminent danger.

The Court of Appeals' ruling in the New York case has put us in the right direction; Illinois ought to follow New York's example.

It is time to inject more sense and reason back into America's debate over guns. Not talking about changing our default gun policy will guarantee more tragedies."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/opinion/cornell-gun-control/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:59:45 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »
Semi auto handguns and rifles are the firearms of choice of the vast majority of US citizens and as such I believe they are protected under the second amendment rulings in Heller V DC.

Does that mean they won't pass some draconian law... No.  But ultimately I believe that a semi auto ban is unconstitutional and will fail.

Barring that MOLON  LABE

I agree on all counts.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Auto firearms have been banned. Auto fire doesn't make responsible people irresponsible. However, law makers have to control something and will go after what ever is next. Once they have controlled something, they have to go after the next thing or are out of a job. Even if they do not control a particular firearm, they will control magazines or ammunition (already exists in various States). There will be some kind of monetary gain as they create a new regulatory entity. (It is all about the money one way or the other or power over others.)

As individuals, talk with family and friends so they are positively informed (no preaching or excess). Contact your state politician so they see more pro-gun people than anti-gun people so they know who provides their vote (even if you didn't ). Support a major gun lobby, as money talks.

Maybe a member with better experience could suggest a canned response and list of the right people (yeah, done before but this is a time for action). A little effort to make people aware of who they support could help prevent some stupid decisions.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Auto firearms are banned?  NOT TRUE

They are restricted, taxed and registered and new manufacture is limited, but there are a large number of citizens that will be very surprised to learn that they are banned
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »
Sorry, my bad...going loosely by the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapons Ban"

Still a limitation of freedom (restricted, taxed and registered and new manufacture is limited).

I stand corrected that semi-auto firearms could be next to be restricted, taxed and registered and new manufacture is limited. Although...it appears they already are here and other places. Maybe a question of how much more?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
See, this is what I am talking about...perpetuating the myth that select fire weapons are banned just adds fuel to the fire,  and the myth that semi auto rifles are assault weapons is just a lie that is repeated so often it is believed to be true.

The "Assault weapons ban" only banned certain features on a semi auto rifle, features that had nearly zero effect on its operation and no effect on the rate of fire. I was proven to be an outright failure at it's intended purpose of crime reduction, and it was not renewed because if that failure.

Currently there are not any restrictions in the state of Nebraska on semi auto AR15 rifles, or on legally possessed select fire machine guns, short shotguns, short barreled rifles or any other NFA controlled firearms or suppressors other than the federal NFA requirements.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
Reply to jthhapkido:    We're thinking along the same lines.  I remarked to the family this am,  don't use the term "shooter or gunman"  Call it what it is " murderer and/or killer" :angry:
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
I posted a few thoughts as well as a number of facts on my Union Creek Journal blog today: https://unioncreekjournal.wordpress.com/