< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dick's taking guns off shelf?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Dick's taking guns off shelf?
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:52 AM »
They say in respect to the school shooting. Who do they think they are fooling? There is already a shortage of AR's to find and prices have shot way up. They are keeping their inventory to make a killing off of legal gun owners later when they are the only ones to have any left.

I have never shopped at a Dicks, and if my thoughts are correct on this, I never will.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/money/business_news/cnn-report-dicks-sporting-goods-pulling-some-sem-automatic-guns-from-stores

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Dick's taking guns off shelf?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »
IMO Dick's is a poor excuse for a gun store anyway.  They have a miniscule selection and refuse to stock handguns.  There are better places to spend our money.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
Maybe I'm having a Blonde momnet...but what problem does this solve? And removing all firearms from their nearest store to Newtown out of respect??? Wonder if they will close their Golf section next time someone is beat to death with a 5 iron. I question Wally World's motivation, too as they are still carrying the SIG and COLT M4s......

Offline tatejo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
I see too that on Cheaper than Dirt they stopped all their firearms stuff online.....

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
Cheaper than Dirt has also suspended firearms sales.  I forgave them for their recent price-gouging unpleasantness, but not for this.  If we don't all hang together, we shall, most certainly, hang separately.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
It's interesting to see which businesses actually support us and which don't.  I never trusted Dick's as I saw them as PC.  I don't trust PC.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
Buy from small shops, give them the business.  Almost all of my firearm purchases have been from small businesses, even if I've had to pay an extra few percent...I've been glad to do it every time.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Now Freedom is selling off Bushmaster, Walmart pulling 'AR Style Rifles' from their shelves.
Imma gonna go put on my shiny hat, as I see this heading down a dangerous slope. By their actions, these companies are pleading guilty and the antis will take this and run with it. All the while the NRA  is taking the 'high road' and not commenting 'until all the facts are put together'  That's all fine and warmhearted, put in the meantime the antis and folks in DC have taken what info they have, spun it into a tight web of deceit and  already convinced the general liberal public that gun are to blame. !
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

nightraider717

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:41:01 AM by nightraider717 »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
Cheaper than dirt is selling guns, Walmart has announced they are just out, Dicks was never a gun store in the first place.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:28 AM »
My uncle went to Cabela's earlier, and he talked to one of the guys he knew about getting an AR-15.  The guy told him that these orders were going to be suspended after they sell what they have.  My aunt and uncle also have a house in Minnesota, and they said the same thing is happening with those gun shops as well.  This is not good news...

I had heard that Cabela's was standing strong.  Sad to hear that they're not.  Scheel's has joined the anti-AR-15 crowd too, apparently. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Lots of rumors and misinformed sales people out there right now. Remember that as we run into these things, management may say once we sell out of AR-15's it may be quite a while before we can get any more, then a sales person takes that as we won't be selling them any more. 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
My uncle went to Cabela's earlier, and he talked to one of the guys he knew about getting an AR-15.  The guy told him that these orders were going to be suspended after they sell what they have.  My aunt and uncle also have a house in Minnesota, and they said the same thing is happening with those gun shops as well.  This is not good news...

Completely false. We are just completely out of them and it's near impossible to get from the manufacturers now. Not to mention our distribution centers are the ones that get them and then ship them to us, so they have to be allocated to stores. Cabela's is not part of the "anti-ar crowd" and I'm 99.99% sure Scheels isn't either. People are blowing this out of proportion.

If people think that because the AR's are no longer on the shelves at Cabela's or Scheels means we are discontinuing their sale then they are far from the truth. The reason shelves are empty is because the entire city is sold out. Received well over 100 calls yesterday at Cabela's and they were all people asking if we had AR's left or wanting to know when we would get more, and we don't know when we will get more.

BTW even the ridiculously expensive ones (Black Rain) sold out within a couple hours yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:16:08 AM by bradkoll »

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
Stopped in to sol's downtown this morning. Saw there were no AR-15's.  The guy there said they took them down and put them in back. I asked why and he didn't know. There were still plenty of AK's.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
Stopped in to sol's downtown this morning. Saw there were no AR-15's.  The guy there said they took them down and put them in back. I asked why and he didn't know. There were still plenty of AK's.

Investments. They will not loose value and they may continue to gain value. I'm sure there is plenty of that going on.

CTD is a bunch of Dbags, but I do not believe they were "caving" when they suspended sales, after talking to a few FFLs. With such a high volume of recent sales and practically nothing in stock, they likely wanted to take a few minutes to sort out paperwork, as they have to answer to the top Dbags: the BATFE.

As stated above: Dicks never was a gun store.

Scheels and Cabelas are just out. Everyone is out. I had an offer of $400 for a stripped lower from someone with an FFL out in the sandhills. Demand has risen and supply has been expended, save for the market hoarders and extreme price gougers. I am sure that volume of production will increase, though probably not enough, and with significant lag time.

Stay frosty gents. No bill will be passed overnight. Hell, after the holidays the masses will likely have found something else to obsess about and any anti-gun bill will be ignored or suppressed, just as in previous years. Instead of spending money on panic buying, since there is nothing to buy, donate to the NRA, NFOA, SAF, GOA, etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:06:09 PM by wallace11bravo »

nightraider717

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38:54 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:40:31 AM by nightraider717 »

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Well then Brad, maybe employees like you need to tell customers that, because I read your post, and then decided to go to Cabela's (between 1:30-3:30) to see if my uncle was misinformed.  While inquiring about a gun that I wanted to purchase, I talked with a gentleman in the Gun Library who told me that they were going to sell again, but not until the "incident" has died down.  I talked with another individual that told me that they were "overswamped" and had to resupply, and then I overheard two men next to me later asking the same thing to an employee, who responded by saying that he doesn't know if they will get another shipment. 

I'm not blaming you, I'm saying that over the course of this visit today, I heard 3 varying accounts.  Now maybe these certain employees didn't work in the gun department, I don't know.  But, when you have these varying accounts, can you really blame various gun enthusiasts who go to Cabela's, hear this, and then think this is another "Cheaper than Dirt/Walmart/Dick's" debacle?

With that said, I'm glad to hear that Cabela's hasn't gone the Dick's Sporting Goods route.

Gun library is separate from the gun counter. I know for a fact they all know we are going to eventually get more in. None of them to my knowledge have even heard of companies discontinuing selling AR's since the Connecticut incident so that is not right. What one person says can be interpreted many different ways. "We are out of stock and not sure when we are getting more in" is a common response we all have and some people might interpret that as, "they might never get any more in." People are overlooking responses and assuming the worst in companies. Nobody has even put in our head the thought of discontinuing sales of AR-15s. And the "not until the incident has died down" can be interpreted different ways.
1. People may believe we are not going to sell them until the whole discussion on Connecticut dies down.
2. We aren't able to get any ARs until this madness is over with because there is extremely limited availability.
Number 2 above is what they mean, and I have probably said that to people too.

People tend to overlook things out of fear...

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »
I've been into a Dick's store a few times and never was impressed with it.  But if I ever do feel like going into one in the future I'll make it a point not to.  Whenever any business takes the side of those who levy war on the 2nd Amendment (or any other part of the Constitution) all patriots should avoid doing business with it.  Gun control is more morally repugnant than racist bigotry and class warfare, because all of the oppression, slavery, and genocides committed because of those two things was made possible by the victims having been disarmed.  The hands of anti-gun bigots are filthy with innocent blood, and the authors of our Constitution knew that.  So those who seek to disarm us should be treated as pariahs, and so should those who give those traitors aid and comfort.  So you won't be seeing me at a Dick's store.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
Sounds like a buncha Dick's to me.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
Stopped in to Sports Authority yesterday to look for a beanie and took a spin past the gun counter, as small as it is, no EBR's in stock.  No one was around to ask whether they had sold all of them or sold out.